Ex Player Herbie Kane

‘Different gravy’ means ‘very good, exceptional’, but why it means that I don’t know!
Some (probably) Essex based waster with more social influence than brain cells probably uttered this on one particular occasion as they were unable to summon up a more accurate phrase, but did so with a level of self-assurance only found among the truly ignorant, that other similarly ignorant, brain-cell-devoid followers assumed it to be both accurate and cool and started using it themselves in some mis-guided belief that it didn't make them sound ridiculous

Some (probably) Essex based waster with more social influence than brain cells probably uttered this on one particular occasion as they were unable to summon up a more accurate phrase, but did so with a level of self-assurance only found among the truly ignorant, that other similarly ignorant, brain-cell-devoid followers assumed it to be both accurate and cool and started using it themselves in some mis-guided belief that it didn't make them sound ridiculous

For goodness' sake, say what you mean man!

I suspect it’s just a meaningless variation of ‘different class’, probably said by someone like Harry Redknapp by mistake.

Is he not a striker? Young lady came through at Middlesbrough?

You are mostly right but he has played as an attacking midfielder as well. He came through Bury's Academy and into their 1st team when a teenager. I think Middlesbrough bought him when Bury were being asset stripped by one of their recent owners.

According to Transfermarkt he is out of contract in the summer.

Last edited:

What an ill-informed outburst! I've heard 'different gravy' for many years to describe something that's the best of the best. Presumably it derives from another old phrase - "It's all gravy', which metaphorically contrasts yer basically not that tasty meat & potato with the enriched and augmented juices of the meat that give flavour to make a statement something like 'life is good'.

A further evidence that this is an old derivation is that since the 1960s many people have only experienced gravy with factory-made stock (e.g. Oxo) added or, even more hideous, made from a product like Bisto, which is manufactured from ground up Pam Ayres doggerel and accordingly vile and vulgar. No-one could imagine these cordials to be a sign of quality, so it's impressive that the meaning hasn't changed to mean something like 'insipid, adds minimal value' which are remarkably similar to my impressions of Herbie Hancock on the 2 occasions I've seen him play for us.

Bastardised version of "Same meat, different gravy" to mean an overall improvement made by changing one of the pieces.

When I was younger I used to hear people occasionally say "It'll all be gravy", meaning "it will all be ok/good"

I have no clue why :ROFLMAO:

When I was younger I used to hear people occasionally say "It'll all be gravy", meaning "it will all be ok/good"

I have no clue why :ROFLMAO:
I can access the OED through work, I’ll have a look tomorrow and report back! ‘Gravy’ is used in various expressions like ‘it's all gravy’ to refer to something good.

What an ill-informed outburst! I've heard 'different gravy' for many years to describe something that's the best of the best. Presumably it derives from another old phrase - "It's all gravy', which metaphorically contrasts yer basically not that tasty meat & potato with the enriched and augmented juices of the meat that give flavour to make a statement something like 'life is good'.

A further evidence that this is an old derivation is that since the 1960s many people have only experienced gravy with factory-made stock (e.g. Oxo) added or, even more hideous, made from a product like Bisto, which is manufactured from ground up Pam Ayres doggerel and accordingly vile and vulgar. No-one could imagine these cordials to be a sign of quality, so it's impressive that the meaning hasn't changed to mean something like 'insipid, adds minimal value' which are remarkably similar to my impressions of Herbie Hancock on the 2 occasions I've seen him play for us.
Or as often heard in the OUFC Boardroom and the Blackbird Dining Room "It's all jus" and "That Herbie Kane, he's different jus"

I can access the OED through work, I’ll have a look tomorrow and report back! ‘Gravy’ is used in various expressions like ‘it's all gravy’ to refer to something good.
What is the OED werthers? I come from an old inner-London background, as a kid I probably heard some of the last real cockney speakers. They used to say things like kale-eyed for example. I googled it recently and the internet says its a Sheffield term, but old people in London I knew in the early 00s said it.

Back
Top Bottom