Ex Player Herbie Kane

What is the OED werthers? I come from an old inner-London background, as a kid I probably heard some of the last real cockney speakers. They used to say things like kale-eyed for example. I googled it recently and the internet says its a Sheffield term, but old people in London I knew in the early 00s said it.
Alright treacle

I deliberately stopped using any Londonisms particularly when I went into the world of business, as I wanted to be taken seriously :ROFLMAO:
But it does come in use when you have clients from abroad and you want to talk about them without knowing what you’re saying likewise they might think your daft buggers. 🤣

What is the OED werthers? I come from an old inner-London background, as a kid I probably heard some of the last real cockney speakers. They used to say things like kale-eyed for example. I googled it recently and the internet says its a Sheffield term, but old people in London I knew in the early 00s said it.
The OED is the full Oxford English Dictionary which shows the history of every word and phrase but is subscription only

What an ill-informed outburst! I've heard 'different gravy' for many years to describe something that's the best of the best. Presumably it derives from another old phrase - "It's all gravy', which metaphorically contrasts yer basically not that tasty meat & potato with the enriched and augmented juices of the meat that give flavour to make a statement something like 'life is good'.

A further evidence that this is an old derivation is that since the 1960s many people have only experienced gravy with factory-made stock (e.g. Oxo) added or, even more hideous, made from a product like Bisto, which is manufactured from ground up Pam Ayres doggerel and accordingly vile and vulgar. No-one could imagine these cordials to be a sign of quality, so it's impressive that the meaning hasn't changed to mean something like 'insipid, adds minimal value' which are remarkably similar to my impressions of Herbie Hancock on the 2 occasions I've seen him play for us.

Watermelon carrier man.

Or as often heard in the OUFC Boardroom and the Blackbird Dining Room "It's all jus" and "That Herbie Kane, he's different jus"

Hmm, are you rattling my cage, Col?

I think you recall that I stand with Jonathan Meades on jus, a frippery resort of the likes of the egregious Kerridge. Down here we have cooks, like Robin Wylde, who can hand them fellows their porridge (slang, Irish, cf Brian O'Nolan).

Pfft.

Hmm, are you rattling my cage, Col?

I think you recall that I stand with Jonathan Meades on jus, a frippery resort of the likes of the egregious Kerridge. Down here we have cooks, like Robin Wylde, who can hand them fellows their porridge (slang, Irish, cf Brian O'Nolan).

Pfft.
Must admit I had to Google Robin Wylde, but I like the cut of their jib. I note that they don't have a vegan menu. Sounds like a proper place where there would be no fops and dandies, just locals smelling of pipe tobacco and manure. And that's just the women.

I might see if they're interested in the catering at the new stadium...........

Funny but "jus" is Dutch for "gravy". Could there be any connect between the 2 in the English usage.

Could be that the English always adopt foreign words for things they pretend are superior to the local gear?

Such inferiority complex.

I think this thread about our Herbie has escalated somewhat.
It’s really wound up in the gutter. I’m going to have to take a long drive for a few days, just to get away from the smut. I’ve heard Arbroath is lovely this time of year.

It's the herring season on Dogger Bank, Arbroath is well positioned to fill your boots, boy. The place is awash with bloaters.

It’s really wound up in the gutter. I’m going to have to take a long drive for a few days, just to get away from the smut. I’ve heard Arbroath is lovely this time of year.
My second team Ayr United just got a battling draw at Arbroath, who are apparently known as the ‘Red Lichties’.

Back
Top Bottom