Current Player #17 James Henry

I think there’s something to be said for the fact he has had to play several positions, not only throughout the season, but also throughout games which can’t help you get into the swing of things

He's played virtually all of his games in an inside right type position. Not an out an out wide player, but someone who starts wide but drifts in. With the very rare exception of playing more centrally, his position hasn't changed. Sadly, I think we are just seeing a player who has been exceptional for us, become little more than ordinary.

The main problem with Henry is he has no pace at all. He was never quick but he has become a plodder so playing wide now is probably not where he should be. I would play him behind Taylor, he still has the craft and technical ability.

I have been a big critic of Henry in recent weeks, because I know how good he can be. Last night, he was back to his best and it was amazing to see! That ball in for Moore’s goal was top class and then his absolute screamer was a goal, fit to win any football match. I could see how much it meant to him.

PLEASE PLAY HIM IN CM/CAM KARL! He is wasted on the right. He is not a winger.

Last edited:
I’d criticised him so far this season - because he’d played poorly. He was great last night. Has to be central though. No need for him to play RM any more.
Completely agree. He has such a good relationship with Taylor, and it’s often going to waste on the wings. I think their link up play through the middle could be excellent, if given the chance.

Put on the bench was the kick up the backside he needed.
Plus agree is not a winger, being blunt has no pace now.
On form z major player

Of course he isn't a winger.
But is Obita. Was Stewart Massey or David Beckham ?
You don't have to have pace to play wide right/ left. Maguire used to play at times in a 'front 3'
Last season at times Henry played in that position and played unbelievably well linking up with Cadden. The one twos and link up play destroyed teams. The crosses Henry got in for Taylor to get on the end of? There were numerous.
Henry has been out of form to me Wembley affected him hugely. He is a clever player and on form will be a huge asset wherever he plays.

I think if you have McGuane and Henry on the the pitch then Henry will start on the right but they will swap about a bit, with Brannigan back that should give them the freedom to do that. Until McGuane is fit then Henry has a good shout to play in midfield, although with the amount of games we are going to play over the next few months it really will need rotation.

I’d criticised him so far this season - because he’d played poorly. He was great last night. Has to be central though. No need for him to play RM any more.
Yes absolutely and I have been saying exactly this for a long while.
JH has skill/craft and guile but no longer has pace. He is a very, very good player but not a wide player anymore. Play him where he did last night and we'll get the best out of him.

For me, moving Henry back inside only works if we sign a new first choice winger in the next week.

Because otherwise who are you going to play down the right?
Hall's legs are gone. Agyei is great against bad teams, but he's a liability defensively when we're up against decent sides. Sykes just isn't one of our best XI players. You could move Shodipo out right and play Obita down the left - but Obita doesn't have any pace either. He's exactly the same sort of winger as Henry.

Meanwhile, we already have plenty of decent options for the midfield trio, even without moving Henry there.

Whilst I'd agree that CAM is probably Henry's best position, when in form he's excellent on the RHS as well. And playing him there means that you can get our best eleven players on the pitch from the start.

I have been a big critic of Henry in recent weeks, because I know how good he can be. Last night, he was back to his best and it was amazing to see! That ball in for Moore’s goal was top class and then his absolute screamer was a goal that was good enough to win any football match. I could see how much it meant to him.

PLEASE PLAY HIM IN CM/CAM KARL! He is wasted on the right. He is not a winger.
James Henry galvanised the team when he came on. His game last night was the best I've seen him play this season.

James Henry’s strike at Crewe was his 50th goal for United in the 6-0 win.

Henry also netted in the 6-2 win at Stevenage in August 2017 and the 6-0 win at Lincoln in September 2019.

EekRwvGWkAAQ3Fc

So are the club going to trigger the one year extension, going to let him leave or try and negotiate a longer contract.
Whist JH had a very poor start for the season and seemed to have had a serious knock to his confidence after Wembley, he seems to have his mojo back.
Today in the second half he was in my view the best player on the pitch (until the last 5 minutes and Stevens great 2 saves)
In the past 10 games where our form has generally been very good he has been one of our influential players.
Class and I really hope he stays.

So are the club going to trigger the one year extension, going to let him leave or try and negotiate a longer contract.
Whist JH had a very poor start for the season and seemed to have had a serious knock to his confidence after Wembley, he seems to have his mojo back.
Today in the second half he was in my view the best player on the pitch (until the last 5 minutes and Stevens great 2 saves)
In the past 10 games where our form has generally been very good he has been one of our influential players.
Class and I really hope he stays.
I’m a bit worried he’ll choose to leave in search of a longer contract. He’ll have plenty of offers I’m sure.

I wonder if it comes down to what division we’re in, if we go up would it be thank you and goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom