Ex Player Joel Cooper

Do we know what the issue was with Cooper? Not wishing to pry and I respect his privacy, just wanting to know if the situation is resolved to a level where he will be able to focus on doing his best for us.

Do we know what the issue was with Cooper? Not wishing to pry and I respect his privacy, just wanting to know if the situation is resolved to a level where he will be able to focus on doing his best for us.

It appears to be resolved based on his and the club's comments.

Well, like whoever we're likely to sign on loan - Shodipo was a QPR reserve and I imagine will be replaced by someone similar.

If we had someone of Shodipo’s ilk coming in on loan, then I’d say he gets in the team ahead of a NI title winner.

The standard is quite poor in NI, but there are some players there that have all lot of ability, and can progress. That’s why we’ve been fishing in that pond, so we can develop and sell on for a profit.

That is not a particularly impressive achievement.
Well, neither is being in the reserves of a slightly better club. My point is that we probably won’t be signing a ‘proven winger ‘, and we don’t know if Cooper is any good yet.

Cooper showed some flashes and hopefully after some time away he will be raring to get going and show what he's made of. Him as backup to someone more proven like Barker (maybe Cadden/Shodipo) and I'd say we're set on that left wing. Still massively short on the right at the mo unless we plan to use Henry and Sykes out there again which I hope isnt the case.

What was the point of signing Joel Cooper, he has loads of talent but seems not good enough for our sqaud.
Why not of let him play back at Linfield and take someone like young Trai Hume instead.

Last edited:
What was the point of signing Joel Cooper, he has loads of talent but seems not good our sqaud.
Why not of let him play back at Linfield and take someone like young Trai Hume instead.
There is talk in Belfast that he's heading back. Shame. He's a decent player but someth isn't right

There is talk in Belfast that he's heading back. Shame. He's a decent player but someth isn't right

I think you’re right.

For all the talk of his issues last season being at an end, it would appear there is another barrier to him being part of KR’s plans. I can’t see him playing for us and if that’s the case then he’s taking up a squad place (and let’s face it, a back up fullback for either RB or LB would be more useful) and is a hinderance overall.

Maybe best for all for Cooper to return to somewhere else where he’s settled and getting games.

Cooper has a lot of talent and obviously caught Robinson’s eye.
Shame the guy he was watching is now doing the the business for someone else and his country

I think you’re right.

For all the talk of his issues last season being at an end, it would appear there is another barrier to him being part of KR’s plans. I can’t see him playing for us and if that’s the case then he’s taking up a squad place (and let’s face it, a back up fullback for either RB or LB would be more useful) and is a hinderance overall.

Maybe best for all for Cooper to return to somewhere else where he’s settled and getting games.

Coopers from n Ireland so I’m sure he would of let Robinson know what his thoughts were/are.
Whether there was issues or Robinson had second thoughts on Cooper last season , who knows.?
We have plenty of wide players but are currently playing a international right sided player on the left,

Trai Hume is a full back that will play for his country one day.
A position we have no real cover for.

Last edited:
I think you’re right.

I think we’ve just signed a load of good wingers - Whyte, Williams, Bodin and Holland who have the experience and ability to get selected ahead of Cooper. Add in a resurgent Henry and Sykes playing in a wider role and it’s hard to see how he breaks into the match day squad.

I think we’ve just signed a load of good wingers - Whyte, Williams, Bodin and Holland who have the experience and ability to get selected ahead of Cooper. Add in a resurgent Henry and Sykes playing in a wider role and it’s hard to see how he breaks into the match day squad.
Our right is stupidly strong but our left wing quite weak still , as said above he could stake a claim for that position

Cooper hasn’t been given a fair chance this season, we have no in form left wingers at the moment, Whyte can’t play there and Holland isn’t fully fit and is out of form. Cooper works hard and does quite well whenever he plays, I don’t see why he can’t be given a start to see what he can do.

We've got another player who gets better the less he plays!!
Holland hasn’t played much this season. Is he ‘getting better the less he plays’?

No. Because 1) he’s been given chances and 2) he’s not done well when he’s had those chances.

Cooper hasn’t been given those chances, instead we’ve played right wingers out of position on the left. And in the few, sparse, meaningless pre season friendlies, youth team games and Papa John’s games that he has featured, he’s looked somewhere between very decent and not bad - something Holland hasn’t managed yet.

Not everything is some massive conspiracy, it’s just recognising that our attack isn’t quite working at the moment and asking if one of the players in our squad could be played? Hardly the most controversial statement of 2021

We've got another player who gets better the less he plays!!
I think it's more a case of having another player in the squad who's not being given a fair crack of the whip, whilst his position is being filled by players who are being persistently played out of position, and not performing.

Just give him a proper chance, not the odd cameo appearance like Agyei's pointless introduction on 93mins yesterday, a proper chance.

If it works, great! If it doesn't, then fair enough, THEN you resort to playing players out of position as an unfortunate necessity, but for god sake, give them a chance!

I don't think anyone is claiming certain players who aren't playing are suddenly world beaters, but what's the point in having players like Cooper and Agyei taking up places in the squad, if you're not gonna give them proper opportunities to play in their best positions?

It's the usual frustrations, the game was crying out for a change yesterday, Taylor was getting no joy out of the CB, and Whyte was contributing very little on the left, but Wycombe were there for the taking in the 2nd half.

Cooper wasn't even on the bench, but Bodin was, and so was Agyei, so get them on the pitch on 70-75mins, when we were on top, and Wycombe were there for the taking, and we could've won the game.

Instead, KR decided to stick, allow Wycombe to regroup, and waited until 89th minute to put on Holland, who's offered nothing since his return, and waited even longer, until the 93rd minute to put on Agyei as the central striker, with less then 5mins to have an impact. Pointless.

This wasn't an away game, when at 75mins with the score 0-0, you'd take seeing the game out, and getting a point, this was a home game, with 15-20 minutes to go, and with the score 0-0, I want to see our manager being positive and proactive, and making attacking changes, to go and get the win.

When fit, Bodin's got to be first choice on the left, but Holland's contributions so far have been minimal, and Taylor is struggling playing through the middle on his own, and for all his effort and endeavour, can't be expected to do it on his own, week in week out, and Winnall is unfortunately not the answer.

Like I say, whilst nobody is suggesting players like Cooper and Agyei are world beaters all of a sudden, they deserve to be given their chance in their best positions, otherwise why are they even here?

Holland hasn’t played much this season. Is he ‘getting better the less he plays’?

No. Because 1) he’s been given chances and 2) he’s not done well when he’s had those chances.

Cooper hasn’t been given those chances, instead we’ve played right wingers out of position on the left. And in the few, sparse, meaningless pre season friendlies, youth team games and Papa John’s games that he has featured, he’s looked somewhere between very decent and not bad - something Holland hasn’t managed yet.

Not everything is some massive conspiracy, it’s just recognising that our attack isn’t quite working at the moment and asking if one of the players in our squad could be played? Hardly the most controversial statement of 2021

Gavin Whyte was predominantly used as a left winger by Hull. So he's not playing out of position, but might be struggling with form etc. However, it's not beyond reason that despite his struggles he is looking better than Cooper in training. After all, Cooper had a number of issues last season that prevented him from being able to settle here. How do you whether this is still the case rather than assuming its a huge conspiracy to keep Cooper out of the side?

Back
Top Bottom