Current Player #4 Jordan Thorniley

Early in preseason Robinson spoke of working on different formations, including 3 at the back. Long, Moore and Thorniley give that option, especially with Gorrin's athleticism ahead of them. I'm not normally a fan of a back three, as it often becomes a back five with wing backs sitting in and leaves a weakened midfield. But the likes of Williams, Whyte and Holland are hardworking wingers who can track back too.

Imagine a line up of,

Stevens
Long Moore Thorniley
Gorrin
Whyte Brannagan McGuane Holland
Taylor Winnall

😍😍😍
24A6F137-09CD-4916-98BE-48DFD0B67D6D.jpeg

That is insane for a centre back at this level

Whyte has to be play right wing now. It’ll force their back line ten yards further back which opens up the middle for our slick passing
Moore like a ping out to the left too doesn't he? It's deffo a great weapon to have!

Early in preseason Robinson spoke of working on different formations, including 3 at the back. Long, Moore and Thorniley give that option, especially with Gorrin's athleticism ahead of them. I'm not normally a fan of a back three, as it often becomes a back five with wing backs sitting in and leaves a weakened midfield. But the likes of Williams, Whyte and Holland are hardworking wingers who can track back too.

Imagine a line up of,

Stevens
Long Moore Thorniley
Gorrin
Taylor Winnall

😍😍😍
Was the point I was trying to make last week, but with McNally as at the time we hadn’t signed Thorniley
Personally would have Seddon on the left.
Henry or Holland instead of Winnall. Would be hard to leave Sykes out for McQuane on performances so far this preseason.

Imagine a line up of,

Stevens
Long Moore Thorniley
Gorrin
Taylor Winnall

😍😍😍
In that formation I may play Whyte up top and then use one of the other wingers out wide.

Interesting concept but I think it leaves us a little exposed with those two wide men you’ve slotted in as they’re not renowned for tracking back

In that formation I may play Whyte up top and then use one of the other wingers out wide.

Interesting concept but I think it leaves us a little exposed with those two wide men you’ve slotted in as they’re not renowned for tracking back
Hopefully Robinson can work on the tracking back - the Shodipo that left us was very different to the one who arrived. In the latter half of last season he worked increasingly hard on his defensive duties. On the other hand, Barker had little interest in tracking and covering!

Hopefully Robinson can work on the tracking back - the Shodipo that left us was very different to the one who arrived. In the latter half of last season he worked increasingly hard on his defensive duties. On the other hand, Barker had little interest in tracking and covering!
I remember Holland was pretty good at tracking back in his first spell.

Mentioned it before.
Gavin Whyte was used by Northern Ireland as wing back in his last start, and scored.

Went to Cambridge and tonight and I think this fella could be a real unsung hero this season. Gets the defending done, tidy and sensible in possession and seemed to communicate with McNally well. Alongside Moore who is clearly taller and will do the aerial stuff, we have a great centre half pairing for this level.

Looks a great signing ! Reminded me of Jake Wright, nothing too stand-outish about him but totally committed to the cause and he’d tackle his granny to win a football match. A good talker and organiser as well and something I felt we needed even last season. As good a pairing as Moore and Atkinson were it often seemed a bit quiet when a good bollicking was the order of the day.

I feel obligated to post something in this thread to draw attention to JT's excellent, mature performances so far in an Oxford shirt. McNally seems to be getting all of the plaudits, but this guy is the stand out player at the back in my view.

It's easy to forget that he's only 24 (Dickie is 25 by comparison) - so he's still a fairly young player for a centre half. He plays like a 30 years old with 500 games under his belt.

As well as being a really good defender, he has an excellent work ethic, and a really good left foot. At times last night his distribution to the full back was really good.

I feel obligated to post something in this thread to draw attention to JT's excellent, mature performances so far in an Oxford shirt. McNally seems to be getting all of the plaudits, but this guy is the stand out player at the back in my view.

It's easy to forget that he's only 24 (Dickie is 25 by comparison) - so he's still a fairly young player for a centre half. He plays like a 30 years old with 500 games under his belt.

As well as being a really good defender, he has an excellent work ethic, and a really good left foot. At times last night his distribution to the full back was really good.
Despite all our big name and exciting signings I think he's been the best signing of the bunch - which is a huge compliment given how good Seddon and Williams have been too.

McNally is doing really well but Thorniley is the glue that's holding it all together. If we can get Long and Moore back fit then we will have a seriously good starting 11.

Back
Top Bottom