Malcs Mob (Netherlands) v Austria

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
I can see this one being pretty boring. One team comfortably better than the other and now ahead so not going to exert too much in pursuit of goals.

Processional stuff, I feel. Austria don’t have enough tools to make a game of this.

Should be 2-0 up no excuses, brilliant ball from Van Aanholt to Weghorst who was so unselfish, and Depay has to score.

VAR has been brilliant so far in the tournament, and got the right decision again for the penalty.

Austria like Switzerland (and a few more) have been awful for the second/ third seeds
Of course having 24 teams dilutes the competition, but there have been very few 'shocks' and the big boys have had their own way too easily
I really hope that Scotland don't disprove this tomorrow

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m
I used to really like the euros when it had 8 teams, the standard was very high and you had to hit the ground running. 24 teams is an odd number as you have the third place team quality from some groups and there is not the depth to ensure quality.

I used to really like the euros when it had 8 teams, the standard was very high and you had to hit the ground running. 24 teams is an odd number as you have the third place team quality from some groups and there is not the depth to ensure quality.
16 was fine.
I guess that the extra numbers does allow teams like Scotland play in a competition, but some of the middling teams have shown no ambition at all.
Very disappointing.

16 was fine.
I guess that the extra numbers does allow teams like Scotland play in a competition, but some of the middling teams have shown no ambition at all.
Very disappointing.

It needed to expand to 16 especially when the USSR broke up and Yugoslavia too. There were more European nations to qualify and the competition justified it.

24 is too many. Half of Europe qualifies almost straightaway and when at the finals you have a better chance of making it through the group stage than going out. Add in the Nations League pathway to qualification too and you have a number of teams who simply don’t have the ability to play with the big boys. The only argument for it is that it gives fans of lesser nations a chance to see their team at a major tournament but does the colour of Northern Ireland or North Macedonia fans really improve the overall product? Not for me.

Netherlands through and comfortably so. I have nagging doubts over their quality to win it though. Some great players and some average ones in that squad.

It needed to expand to 16 especially when the USSR broke up and Yugoslavia too. There were more European nations to qualify and the competition justified it.

24 is too many. Half of Europe qualifies almost straightaway and when at the finals you have a better chance of making it through the group stage than going out. Add in the Nations League pathway to qualification too and you have a number of teams who simply don’t have the ability to play with the big boys. The only argument for it is that it gives fans of lesser nations a chance to see their team at a major tournament but does the colour of Northern Ireland or North Macedonia fans really improve the overall product? Not for me.

Netherlands through and comfortably so. I have nagging doubts over their quality to win it though. Some great players and some average ones in that squad.
In fairness I think North Macedonia have been pretty good in their two games. The scoreline flattered Austria in the first game and they ran Ukraine all the way yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom