Ex Player Mark Sykes

Composure in front of goal is clearly a natural ability. I do not think you can drill it into someone on the training ground,,,,,,,,,,,mores the pity.
I think you can help players improve their goal scoring technique. (That's improve, not completely transform them.)
But it isn't done by endless repetition of shooting practice.
A good coaching saying is that practice does not make perfect - it makes permanent. So be careful what and how you practice!
This will sound very weird, but I would have Sykes practising finishing with an imaginary ball. It could help him concentrate more. Another drill (going in the opposite direction) is to get him to focus on striking the ball on a particular coloured panel. So the focus is on the process not the outcome.

(Above based on some sports psychology learning and experience)

I think Mark Skyes could learn from Sam Long
At the start of last season most of us would have said he isn’t first choice right back, especially as he was following in Caddens footsteps
KR didn’t think he was first choice because he brought in Clare, then because of KR’s failings to get defensive cover Sam was thrown in at CB. When the Clare experiment didn’t work Sam reverted to right back and got better and better
So Mark Sykes should take every opportunity he has to make a claim wherever he is played.
Having said that he should be given a run in his best position and he does need to get to the gymn and bulk out a bit to give himself an even better chance, as Long did

The problem for Sykes is the position he plays.
Sam Long got a run of games and was able to prove himself because we only had six defenders last season, Atkinson had some early injuries, and then Clare showed that he couldn't hack it as a League One right back. So Sam got an extended chance because there really were no other options in the building, and he took it and ran.

Sykes has the benefit of being versatile - but every position that he could potentially play in our formation (either of the two more forward-thinking midfield positions, and either flank), we have plenty of options. If he plays, it means a good player is sitting on the bench. On Saturday, he played ahead of McGuane & Gorrin (who could have played at the base of the midfield and allowed Cam to push further forwards). For him to get a game on the flanks, it would have to be at the expense of Whyte & Holland or Bodin & Williams.

Yes, he's got tons of potential and yes, he probably needs a good run in the team to unlock that potential. And if we were a dour, midtable side then we could give him that run and prioritize long term development over short term results.
But we're clearly going for promotion this season, so we can't do that - we need to be playing the XI best suited to win the three points each and every game. And I just don't think he's in that XI based on the quality of his play right now.

Sykes proved his worth to the team in the run in last season. He was our best player. I’d start him (in front of McGuane) in a midfield with Brannigan and Gorrin. (This assumes Gorrin is 100% fit.) Henry doesn’t have the legs to be a starter any more. Good sub though.

Feel that the restriction to 3 subs this season doesn’t suit us ;
we can’t showcase our strength in depth as well.

Sykes proved his worth to the team in the run in last season. He was our best player. I’d start him (in front of McGuane) in a midfield with Brannigan and Gorrin. (This assumes Gorrin is 100% fit.) Henry doesn’t have the legs to be a starter any more. Good sub though.

Proved his worth... Really?

Three or four decent games, but still actually made little of note happen, and that in among the many chances he has had.

He obviously has a bit of skill and sometimes a decent turn, but way too often is rash in his challenges, is too lightweight and has never really stamped his authority on a game. One of those who you could say doesn't have a 'football brain'.

I think Bodin will turn out to be a decent player for us. He looked calm and composed and quite skillful in the game. Also watching him in pre match warm up he has a decent and accurate shot on him.

Needs to watch his social environments…

Ox have a close unit for a reason.

Lessons to be learnt.

From the January in the league;

Elliott Lee scored 6 and assisted 3
Brandon Barker scored 3 and assisted 4
James Henry scored 4 and assisted 7
Mido Shodipo scored 7 and assisted 2
Dan Agyei scored 3 and assisted 2

Mark Sykes scored 0 and assisted 2.

So he may well have been busy and gave everything, but Sykes was the least effective of our attacking midfielders/wingers by some considerable distance. And that's the key thing. We need players who can make an impact at either end of the pitch.

Stats will only show so much and without opening up the other debate, I think Agyei was significantly better than his stats suggest, 2 of his goals gave us late wins against Swindon and Shrewsbury and one of his late assists gave us a point against MK Dons (I think?). But I'd struggle to give an example of Sykes making a real positive difference in these games and find it easier to remember the sending off and misses when through on goal.

That's not to say that he's a bad player, or that he can't still have a big role this season. But he really does need to convert energy and hardwork into real end product.

People pile in on Robinson at the drop of a hat, people pile in to say Agyie is the answer, people pile in after a player signs and doesn’t hit the ground running straight away.
Football is fickle and is full of knee jerk reactions.
unfortunately in the Mark Sykes case, as I said before, it’s the same conversation. The guy has talent but isn’t consistent and can’t be trusted to perform week in week out without making a stupid mistake. That isn’t knee jerk after 2 and half years of being here.

And during those 2 1/2 years. How many games has he started in the same position?

During which, how many other players has the manager come out and publicly ( classic Robinson) slate the player?

I’m thinking Dan Ageyi and Mark Sykes.

Everyone seems to escape bar these two.

Eastwood, whilst he was virtually throwing them in last season never got the public humiliation these two got.

Swindon. H anyone.

For a person married into an environment where mental health is channeled, you’d think he’d be better practiced to control his outburst.

Still he’s a Scouser. Should have known.

Last edited:

Where on earth do you get that from !? Fortunately Scotchers has done the homework for me, but the stats he's provided were surely obvious to anyone who was watching.
Sykes played well in a lot of the games towards the end of the season but actually produced almost nothing. As well as the figures shown above I would be surprised if his total minutes in those games weren't the highest of that list as well. (Statto Scotchers will probably let us know)
There are five above who clearly contributed more and then who of the back five was he better than ?
Nothing would please me more than for Sykes to start giving consistently good passes, creating chances and scoring goals. But don't tell me he was our best player when the lad has had no end product. Have you forgotten all those one on ones he missed !

The problem for Sykes is the position he plays.
Sam Long got a run of games and was able to prove himself because we only had six defenders last season, Atkinson had some early injuries, and then Clare showed that he couldn't hack it as a League One right back. So Sam got an extended chance because there really were no other options in the building, and he took it and ran.

Sykes has the benefit of being versatile - but every position that he could potentially play in our formation (either of the two more forward-thinking midfield positions, and either flank), we have plenty of options. If he plays, it means a good player is sitting on the bench. On Saturday, he played ahead of McGuane & Gorrin (who could have played at the base of the midfield and allowed Cam to push further forwards). For him to get a game on the flanks, it would have to be at the expense of Whyte & Holland or Bodin & Williams.

Yes, he's got tons of potential and yes, he probably needs a good run in the team to unlock that potential. And if we were a dour, midtable side then we could give him that run and prioritize long term development over short term results.
But we're clearly going for promotion this season, so we can't do that - we need to be playing the XI best suited to win the three points each and every game. And I just don't think he's in that XI based on the quality of his play right now.

You’d play first game of the season, two players who I’d guess haven’t had much more than 90 minutes between them in preseason.
Sykes Brannagan and Henry had more minutes and had done reasonably well.

If you posted less cryptically then we wouldn't need to.

Could say the same for a whole lot of posters on YF.

ESB wouldn’t be making the £££ if that was the case…

What would you like to know?

I know of you having dealt with you, years back re flags.

You’re an intelligent chap.

You don’t come across as the kind of person who needs it spelling out to one.

However, if you prefer, the message function is open on here.

Last edited:
What would you like to know?

I know of you having dealt with you, years back re flags.

You’re an intelligent chap.

You don’t come across as the kind of person who needs it spelling out to one.

However, if you, the message function is open on here.

Why one to one?

Why not just say it rather than playing 'I know something you don't know'?

And during those 2 1/2 years. How many games has he started in the same position?

During which, how many other players has the manager come out and publicly ( classic Robinson) slate the player?

I’m thinking Dan Ageyi and Mark Sykes.

Everyone seems to escape bar these two.

Eastwood, whilst he was virtually throwing them in last season never got the public humiliation these two got.

Swindon. H anyone.

For a person married into an environment where mental health is channeled, you’d think he’d be better practiced to control his outburst.

Still he’s a Scouser. Should have known.
Sykes has started 67 games since he joined and 26 sun appearances. He has always played in the attacking midfield 3 and scored a massive total of 3 goals in that time.

Robinson’s man management is pretty spot on. If it was then players wouldn’t keep wanting to come back and play for him would they?

Yet again, I’m not sure why Robinson being a scouser has anything to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom