Ex Player Nathan Holland

My mistake, Transfermarkt have him down as contract expiring this season. Even so I'm sure both clubs could come to an agreement. We bought Browne for a fee so there is no reason why we couldn't with Whyte.

There was an article on Wales Online recently where the Cardiff manager was talking about him being out of contract iirc.

My mistake, Transfermarkt have him down as contract expiring this season. Even so I'm sure both clubs could come to an agreement. We bought Browne for a fee so there is no reason why we couldn't with Whyte.
All depends on how bad Cardiff's financial problems get really. With our current board it's certainly never out of the question, but if Cardiff demand a stupid fee we won't pay it. It could also come down to how much Whyte himself wants to come back - if he pushes for a move they may just cash in now rather than keep someone who's unhappy then lose him on a free. Stay in League 1 and I think our chances are low to be honest, go up and we've got a shot.

There was an article on Wales Online recently where the Cardiff manager was talking about him being out of contract iirc.
It was a poorly written article (having worked in media in Cardiff for 6 years I can confirm this is standard for Wales Online) where they grouped together every player on loan and out of contract and talked about them in the same breath giving the impression they were all out of contract. Whyte definitely has another year, although I believe Brown might be out of contract?

As a backup winger option Holland is decent. Not many clubs can boast the attacking options we have, and I think Holland has been the victim of just how good some of our attackers have been this season which has meant getting a run in the side has been tougher and he's struggled for consistency. Would I take him permanently on a free? Honestly, I'm not sure I would.

One consideration is that we probably won't have Gavin Whyte with us next season. He's still contracted, and Cardiff are in a bit of a mess financially. Given his good performances for us, especially recently, I reckon they'll want him for next season as a cheaper option to buying a new player. We've sort of replaced him already with Marcus Browne, but I'd rather us push the boat out for someone like a Nicky Cadden as Browne's competition as he can play anywhere on that left side - and would be an excellent signing especially if we stuck with the 3412 next season.

The other consideration is we have a young attacker in our youth team who has been consistently performing out on loan in Tyler Goodrham. I really think we've got a special little player in him, and will signing Holland as a 3rd/4th choice attacker mean we don't see Goodrham try and break into the first team sooner? Holland is the better player right now, but I think Goodrham has the higher ceiling at this point.

Holland will be fine. He'll easily get himself a L1 club like a Charlton or a team of that ilk if we don't sign him, and with more regular gametime I think he may well prove us all wrong. But L1 is so tough these days, we need attackers who are more consistent to be challenging at the top. If he could consistently perform close to the best we've seen of him he'd be fantastic, but something just isn't quite clicking enough for me.
The problem with Nicky Cadden it’s been I think a 4 transfer window we love allegedly been looking at him and he obviously doesn’t want to come here and could FGR have turned down a decent bid. But as they look to be League 1 next season I think the club should look elsewhere.

Think we would have a chance as he has been out on loan more than he has been at Cardiff so I doubt whether they would not sell unless there financial statements is as bad as some have alluded to.

All depends on how bad Cardiff's financial problems get really. With our current board it's certainly never out of the question, but if Cardiff demand a stupid fee we won't pay it. It could also come down to how much Whyte himself wants to come back - if he pushes for a move they may just cash in now rather than keep someone who's unhappy then lose him on a free. Stay in League 1 and I think our chances are low to be honest, go up and we've got a shot.

Thing is - if we go up, we'll have some money to spend, and then might we aim a little higher than Gavin Whyte?

Don't get me wrong, he's been very good this season (if not quite the terrifying pace merchant he was in his first spell with us). But the Championship is a tough, tough league. The toughest games you face each season in League One (e.g. Rotherham, Wigan this season) will be the easiest games you face at that level. And Whyte has struggled up there with Cardiff.

The clubs that have been successful in making the step up (Luton, Blackpool) have undoubtedly done so by keeping the core of the team that got them there together - but then complementing it with half a dozen top drawer signings. If we only have a few million to work with (fees + wages) to make those, I'm not sure Whyte would represent value-for-money.

[of course, this is being highly optimistic and imagining problems that we hope we're going to have!]

Thing is - if we go up, we'll have some money to spend, and then might we aim a little higher than Gavin Whyte?

Don't get me wrong, he's been very good this season (if not quite the terrifying pace merchant he was in his first spell with us). But the Championship is a tough, tough league. The toughest games you face each season in League One (e.g. Rotherham, Wigan this season) will be the easiest games you face at that level. And Whyte has struggled up there with Cardiff.

The clubs that have been successful in making the step up (Luton, Blackpool) have undoubtedly done so by keeping the core of the team that got them there together - but then complementing it with half a dozen top drawer signings. If we only have a few million to work with (fees + wages) to make those, I'm not sure Whyte would represent value-for-money.

[of course, this is being highly optimistic and imagining problems that we hope we're going to have!]
The championship financially on Par with the old div 2 is quite immense and the difference between Div 2 and Div 3 and the championship and league one is ver different financially now. It’s obvious you now to actually compete in the championship is going to cost a few quid, although Luton, Blackpool and Coventry seem to have coped so there is a chance if we get there this season maybe a bit more spend might do us ok.

I'm never upset to see Holland on the bench, or come off it if we're chasing a game - Portsmouth alone has justified his presence this year for me. But I'd count him as a luxury signing full time, whether we're grafting to stay up in the Championship or looking to do it all over again in L1 next season. he just doesn't contribute regularly enough.

Rubbish, modern wingers need to play across the front three. He has had ample opportunities to play on the left. He just isn't there yet. One of many, it seems, academy stars who struggle to make the transition to senior football.
Are these so called “modern wingers” actually wingers? A lot of them play very narrow in a front three and quite often it’s the full backs who give the attacking width

Are these so called “modern wingers” actually wingers? A lot of them play very narrow in a front three and quite often it’s the full backs who give the attacking width
I think modern attacking players have to be able to fit into different systems. Back in the 80s and 90s it was basically (in the UK) everyone playing 442 with the odd 352 and 451.

I’m sure as usual I will be wrong and he will now smash it for MK, on the face of it though I am happy to see one of our direct rivals signing someone who I don’t think he’s good enough for the wages I’m sure he will be on

I’m sure as usual I will be wrong and he will now smash it for MK, on the face of it though I am happy to see one of our direct rivals signing someone who I don’t think he’s good enough for the wages I’m sure he will be on
What do you reckon the wages for Holland would be?

Back
Top Bottom