National Anthems

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
Personally prefer Land of Hope and Glory and I'm sure it was used as England's Anthem for the Medal ceremonies for the Commonwealth Games many years ago.

Vindaloo would make a cracking anthem for us, better than the dirge that is God save the queen.

The French have the best anthem, you have to give them that, the Russian one is decent to.

Nothing in life is as awful as listening to some bird butcher every note of the Stars and Stripes though, why the US army don’t just send in Beyoncé or whoever to scream that at whichever country they want to invade next is beyond me, have them surrendering in a minute.
This is so damn accurate. Also, the whole concept of having one person sing the NATIONAL anthem (the clue's in the name!) while everyone else stays silent is so weird.

Incidentally, I learned the other day the US used to essentially have 'GSTQ' as their national anthem, but the words changed to 'Sweet country tis of thee'. Changed to the Stars and Stripes in the 30s. Had no idea!

Always liked the Russian anthem. But nothing compared to being in the Cardiff City Stadium for a Wales game and hearing every single person belt out that anthem. It's not necessarily the best anthem out there, but my god do the Welsh put some bloody passion behind it every single time. Spine chilling stuff.

I've never been a fan of GSTQ. I have very little care towards the royals (by no means anti-royal, they serve a purpose and they give the country more than they take for the most part), and I am not religious, so there is just zero connection there for me. It's also because it's just a bit rubbish. There's nothing in there to make me feel any passion for my country. I don't believe in God, and whilst I don't wish any ill will on the royals, I couldn't care less if they were 'saved' (what do they actually need saving from?). Why aren't we willing the big guy to save the ill, the poor and those with a need to be saved? Rubbish anthem with zero meaning or connection. England has such a rich history for such a small country, I'm sure there's something out there that celebrates the whole of England rather than one person who doesn't do a whole lot.

National Anthem-off today! I'm going for Wales to surprise everyone with a cheeky last-minute winner after repelling constant Italian attacks for 89mins.....

I think we should replace our national anthem when liz goes, maybe something from Kylie or ride on time

I too think that the Russian one is my favourite.

For England, I could happily accept Land of Hope and Glory, but would prefer Jerusalem, as long as it is sung at a steady pace and not rushed like it often is, leaving singers struggling to keep up, which sounds awful.

Definitely Russia. What a cracking piece of music that is. If that was my national anthem I’d being tearing up every time it was played.

For England, musically Jerusalem is the most rousing, but there might be issues given that Blake was tried for sedition and was a supporter of revolution!

Maybe we should buck the trend and pick something like The Only Way is Up by Yazz :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom