National News National Lockdown coming

Quite. Nobody should excuse what DC or other politicians did in the first or subsequent lockdowns, but surely by now enough messages and guidelines, whether ambiguous, inexact, short-sighted or just simply ill thought out, have been delivered that everyone knows what they ought to be doing to minimise the threat of contracting this virus and of passing it on to others.

The actions of some people are disingenuous at best and at worst show a cynical disregard for what needs to be done.
But the point being made is no amount of 'messages and guidelines' will work now the damage has been done. For too many it's cover your ears and 'la.la, la' time.

While everyone is blaming people for having the odd person round there house, it’s looking very likely that this new variant has been spread through schools. The rise in cases from the low level we had then at coincides with kids going back, is it 4 million children mixing in then going home to mix with parents who go to work and spread it or is it Joan having Doris round for a cup of tea? I know which one my money is on.

The Schools thing here:

Somebody was asking for something backing this (can't remember if this or another thread) earlier and whilst this is only a supposition from the experts at the moment it certainly points at it.

But the point being made is no amount of 'messages and guidelines' will work now the damage has been done. For too many it's cover your ears and 'la.la, la' time.

I don't doubt that many agree, but to use the actions of a Government numpty 6 months ago to put yourself and others at risk now is idiotic.

I don't doubt that many agree, but to use the actions of a Government numpty 6 months ago to put yourself and others at risk now is idiotic.
Apart from the left wing politicians and newspapers shrieking over DC for the sake of scoring political points back in March, did that really change the minds of tens of millions of people to think that the rules didn't matter?

I think it sowed a seed of 'well the government don't actually think its that important to follow the rules', especially when he wasn't punished for doing so. Other plonker politicians from all parties, sportspeople, 'celebrities' and others in the public eye have continued to carry on as if the rules are for other people to observe, reinforcing the same thing. Rita Ora just the other week flew into the country, didn't isolate at all and immediately held a party for a load of friends. I would hope that people don't blindly copy an air headed manufactured pop star, but it sets a climate.

I think it sowed a seed of 'well the government don't actually think its that important to follow the rules', especially when he wasn't punished for doing so. Other plonker politicians from all parties, sportspeople, 'celebrities' and others in the public eye have continued to carry on as if the rules are for other people to observe, reinforcing the same thing. Rita Ora just the other week flew into the country, didn't isolate at all and immediately held a party for a load of friends. I would hope that people don't blindly copy an air headed manufactured pop star, but it sets a climate.

Rita Ora apparently went to Turkey (?) for a £100k appearance fee. She then swans back into the country, has a party and pays a £10k fine as if nothings happened!!

Dominic Cummings and the like May have set the scene, but I very much doubt that Rita Ora was influenced by this. It was simply greed and self indulgence. Sadly some crappy product placement on her Instagram apology and she'll have the fine paid off in no time ready to take the P**s again.

Which implies that they have heard and comprehend the message - but don't want to believe it or will wilfully disobey whilst claiming they didn't understand it

Which implies that they have heard and comprehend the message - but don't want to believe it or will wilfully disobey whilst claiming they didn't understand it
I'm more than implying it!

Had to do a bit of shopping in Didcot yesterday. (Yeah, yeah, part of the problem and all that)

Was very surprising to me, how given the proximity to tier 4, so many people just don't seem to get it.

No social distancing in queues. Shops having totally given up on the maximum occupancy numbers they were employing earlier in the year.

My snarling muscles, "Get away from me!", are exhausted today.
It was better at 9pm ( mind you not much left on the shelves )😊

It's not the odd person it's the odd family and families often have kids.
Still nothing in comparison to the 8.82 (plus staff) million school kids in England alone, who sit in classes of up to 30, for six hours 5 days a week, then go off to homes with parents/siblings etc (kids obviously don’t live alone).

My brother in law is a deputy headteacher and has admitted to me that getting kids to follow the rules is impossible, the only time we have got anywhere near control of this was when schools only had key worker parents children in, the numbers started rising from September when that changed.

It’s an easy decision to ban people from going to the pub to save people’s lives, even though in comparison to shutting the schools down it hardly has any effect, but denying children a proper education is obviously much harder despite the fact it’s probably the one thing that can massively reduce households mixing and thus slow down the spread.

The Schools thing here:

Somebody was asking for something backing this (can't remember if this or another thread) earlier and whilst this is only a supposition from the experts at the moment it certainly points at it.

I never quite got the whole school kids don’t spread it thing, they can get it, schools have had loads of cases so it seemed strange to me that they couldn’t spread it.

I never quite got the whole school kids don’t spread it thing, they can get it, schools have had loads of cases so it seemed strange to me that they couldn’t spread it.
Listening to something on 5 Live this morning, apparently the way the virus attacked cells in adults wasn't possible in children as they didn't have the same 'receptors' (or something). The impact of the new strain hasn't been fully assessed yet.

I think it was me that was asking for some more information on this a few days ago, so thanks for this link.

I love reading about the stories about the rule breaking and then the posters giving it the big un on how stupid and irresponsible these actions are but come on we’ve all broke these guidelines to a degree or two , haven’t we ?

I love reading about the stories about the rule breaking and then the posters giving it the big un on how stupid and irresponsible these actions are but come on we’ve all broke these guidelines to a degree or two , haven’t we ?
Only in tiny ways. I haven’t been to people’s houses or had parties, because I’m an adult and not a t**t

No.

I honestly don't think I have.

In laws were saying the army was on the bridge from Oxfordshire into Reading today. Don't know if it's true or what checks if any, they were carrying out. Anyone out had experience of this?

Back
Top Bottom