Home Match Day Thread ++OUFC V Scunthorpe 30/3/18 Match Thread++

We would've lost that game 3 months and there would've been no fight. Even after the worst first half performance after we should've been 3 down, the players showed that they care.

Who knows where we would be now if it hadn’t taken 2 months to find a manager or if Pep was still here. Performance today in the first half was worse than all but the Wigan game. By luck we didn’t go in 3 or 4 nil down at half time.

Watching back the game on tv now and struck by our 300% increase in energy in second half.

First half was abject - they sussed our diamond immediately and overloaded on the flanks.

Second half Robbo demonstrated he is no mug tactically - and I left feeling quite encouraged.

So what if Scunny ‘could’ have been 4 up at half time - we could have easily thumped Pompey last week.

Such is football.

I see us getting something on Monday.

I wouldn't be so sure, oh wise one. But Robinson has already accelerated the turn around that Faz started after hapless Pep was fired.

But Kip's right - we need to tear this squad apart in the summer if we want to go up.

I think its now abudantly clear we have a chronic excuse for a team. We are a rotten team.

Im still not totally convinced were going to do it.

But if we do, its time to tear this squad apart.
On results not many can disagree about the current team.
But who do you lay the blame on?
Appleton who most of the team was recruited under
Pep who had none of his signings on the pitch but might have demoralised them
Or the recruitment team who brought players in to suit the business model.
Most of the starting 11 today were got in by the recruitment team, is that part of modern football assets above pieces of the jigsaw with the manager organising them.
Pep was lucky to have his own players in and we all saw how that ended

How mythological is this 'recruitment team'? And who are they? Do they in fact actually exist?

At the forum today, KR said it wouldn't just be him choosing/approving any new players, but would be a joint decision with the owner, the coaches etc and that he had compiled a list and had given it to ST. He also said that they would be watching the players on the list (whether that meant KR, Faz, CA etc or other scouts I don't know). That implied t me that there is no separate, club-based 'recruitment team'.

How mythological is this 'recruitment team'? And who are they? Do they in fact actually exist?

At the forum today, KR said it wouldn't just be him choosing/approving any new players, but would be a joint decision with the owner, the coaches etc and that he had compiled a list and had given it to ST. He also said that they would be watching the players on the list (whether that meant KR, Faz, CA etc or other scouts I don't know). That implied t me that there is no separate, club-based 'recruitment team'.
There certainly was a recruitment team, it was undermined when pep was able to get his players in and the lad left to join Leeds

If you say so, then I believe you. Who are/were they? Are they still at the club? Or is it an outside company that the club pays to provide player reports, recommendations etc based on a set of criteria they are given?

Thanks - so Craig Dean was Head Scout (I think I knew that somewhere in the back of my mind!). That implies there are others, if he was the Head, and I am sure there are. But he hasn't been replaced (has he?) - so who is now coordinating the other scouts? In my mind, I thought the 'recruitment team' was rather more than a Head Scout plus the current manager, because if it isn't then there is obviously now very little continuity between the recruitment team now and what it was a while ago - no Head Scout and a new manager.

If you say so, then I believe you. Who are/were they? Are they still at the club? Or is it an outside company that the club pays to provide player reports, recommendations etc based on a set of criteria they are given?

From what I understand Mark Thomas is head of recruitment. I would think Dan bond is involved elsewhere also.

I read an interesting article on modern scouting...will try to fish it out!

Thanks - so Craig Dean was Head Scout (I think I knew that somewhere in the back of my mind!). That implies there are others, if he was the Head, and I am sure there are. But he hasn't been replaced (has he?) - so who is now coordinating the other scouts? In my mind, I thought the 'recruitment team' was rather more than a Head Scout plus the current manager, because if it isn't then there is obviously now very little continuity between the recruitment team now and what it was a while ago - no Head Scout and a new manager.

We also have data analysts, who will put together packages on players on the data base. Mapp spoke of it about having a 1st 2nd 3rd option for each position already scouted and info ready. There was nothing in place at the club from wilder and waddock when he took over so they started from scratch. I still think we could see faz take that chief scout role. Keeps him at the club, he’s done it before at other clubs, and kr gets to bring in his own assistant

https://spielverlagerung.com/2018/0...nds-former-head-of-scouting-lars-hallengreen/

The article. I think we will be following a similar process...or atleast it *appears* we are from the outside.

A good interview of modern recruitment. We've had several of the above elements mentioned on many occasions here.

One thing that needs to change is midfield set up. Robinson needs to switch Ledson and Brannagan. Brannagan don't get me wrong was solid today but his ability is wasted at DM he needs the license to run with the ball Thomas and Henry would love the passes he could produce. Him and Rothwell running directly through midfield driving us forward could be something special.

One thing that needs to change is midfield set up. Robinson needs to switch Ledson and Brannagan. Brannagan don't get me wrong was solid today but his ability is wasted at DM he needs the license to run with the ball Thomas and Henry would love the passes he could produce. Him and Rothwell running directly through midfield driving us forward could be something special.

I'd been wondering the same thing given Brannagan's background as a more offensive midfielder. He's certainly an excellent prospect wherever he plays.

Having watched the game back, Drysdale is a desperately poor ref. All the gear, no idea sums him up.

Wes was on a hiding to nothing today. No support for most of the time he was on the pitch and his body language showed it.

Woah!

None of our midfield was remotely solid for 56 minutes of that match!

Having watched the game back, Drysdale is a desperately poor ref. All the gear, no idea sums him up.

Wes was on a hiding to nothing today. No support for most of the time he was on the pitch and his body language showed it.

Yeah, I thought his yellow card came out of the sheer frustration at this. (Wes)

No denying that Obika changed the game though.

I've made the point already but Ledson's booking was an awful decision. One of the most utterly random I've ever seen.

Yeah, I thought his yellow card came out of the sheer frustration at this. (Wes)

No denying that Obika changed the game though.

I've made the point already but Ledson's booking was an awful decision. One of the most utterly random I've ever seen.

Not sure any oxford fan is in a position to complain about the officiating today! The Iron fans on social media are fuming, and rightly so to be fair. If anything, given he was booked for that challenge, I can't remember exactly what happened but i remember thinking after a Lego challenge where he wasn't booked later on that he was lucky to still be on the pitch

Back
Top Bottom