Manager/Coach [Poll] When Should Robinson Go?

At what point should Robinson go?

• Now, he's had plenty of chances to build a successful squad and hasn't

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • January if we're not in the top 10

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • End of the season if he doesn't make the playoffs

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • Not in the foreseeable future

Votes: 48 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve been a fan of KR for years. We are still floundering in L1 after five years.
The reason I’ve liked him is for the way he’s handled the Lewis/Beauchamp situations so well. He has managed some great players. Atkinson, Dickie and McNally spring to mind. They have realised a lot of cash that helps the club. Attendances have been high in expectation.
Now we have challenges in the GK situation. Odd goal defeats. Losses to Rovers and Lincoln are poor.
With the boos creeping in he is on borrowed time.
I think he has until Christmas. If we’re mid table then the honeymoon is over

I’ve been a fan of KR for years. We are still floundering in L1 after five years.
The reason I’ve liked him is for the way he’s handled the Lewis/Beauchamp situations so well. He has managed some great players. Atkinson, Dickie and McNally spring to mind. They have realised a lot of cash that helps the club. Attendances have been high in expectation.
Now we have challenges in the GK situation. Odd goal defeats. Losses to Rovers and Lincoln are poor.
With the boos creeping in he is on borrowed time.
I think he has until Christmas. If we’re mid table then the honeymoon is over
It’s not a honeymoon; we’ve been in this difficult marriage for too long. Time for a divorce.

I do wonder if KR has too much influence at the club either by his design or from the owners, I don’t get the impression we have much football expertise in the uk (McWilliams etc) maybe time for a director of football to over see recruitment etc and let KR focus on training/game planning? He reminds me of Jack and the bean stalk, Karl go to market and bring back a full back (KR comes back with some magic beans and an injured winger🤦‍♂️)

Last edited:
Watching on the TV, the support in the second half was great and really got behind the team. It was proof that everyone is still very much supporting the players on the pitch. The boos were clearly aimed at Robinson to show the dissatisfaction, I'm also not sure they would be as loud as they were if he didn't keep coming out in interviews claiming the performances are good. Delusional interviews like that are going to wind people up.

Can we afford to sack Robinson?.
Who would we be likely to get in?
How much to buy out of a job they are in?.
I think we are dammed if we do
And dammed if we don't. 🤔🤔.
Very hard to decide we are a selling club with a 3 sided ground with faceless chairman's you hardly see and as for takeover that doesn't happen?
With plans on new ground struggling to gain any impetus going forward?.
Looking a uphill task for top half with other teams signing players better than ours at moment and working as a unit.

I think Robinson will go when "the board" decide his time is up and no amount of posting by parties with or without prejudice will alter that fact, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride - there's bound to be some nice scenery somewhere along the way...

Our next 3 League opponents...

1660729601916.png

- All minnows, and budgets to reflect that.
- Managed just 4 points from 12 games (no wins).
- Scored 7 in 12 games (half a goal a game).
- Conceded 23 in 12 games (2 goals a game).

Awful set of fixtures for KR now that we’re struggling. He could genuinely of done with a backs-to-the-wall game at Portman Road or London Road about now (where a point could easily be passed off as success).

Instead, there is absolutely nowhere to hide.

What happens if we don't get 7/9 points? Or even fail to get 5 or 6? 👀

Football management is a funny game. There are calls for forum users to be kinder and yet here we are, polling a mans future employment. I recognise the value of this forum is to engage with fellow Oxford United supporters, to debate the nuances, how toothless we were against Lincoln, the lack of signings and general goings on. Yes, whilst it happens in football it's actually quite sad that we do discuss it and organise a poll as if the guy who is being polled about isn't a real person.

I have no doubt he is aware of the discontentment, the apathy on this forum and I bet if he hasn't already, his family have read these comments and seen this poll. It really can't help him do his job to the best of his abilities (whether you like him or not), yet I accept it's what you sign up to as a Football Manager. I guarantee he will be very self-critical without the need for a poll; football managers are and I would strongly guess based on his regular interviews and based on his part on the recent BBC Sounds podcast it wouldn't surprise me if he is highly self conscious too. It certainly doesn't help.

Do I personally think KR is the man to take us up? Personally, I don't. But what does my opinion matter? My view is that he doesn't maximise the playing squad, his risk over reward signings don't reflect well and we lack in a number of areas which KR is directly accountable for. I'm sure he knows all of this however. I do think he's a reasonable League One Football Manager with some really good characteristics (some failings too). Just like most of our League One players, they are League One footballers who also have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'm certainly not vocal for a man to lose his job, despite at this stage his under performance. I am however happy to offer constructive comments.

Last edited:
Football management is a funny game. There are calls for forum users to be kinder and yet here we are, polling a mans future employment. I recognise the value of this forum is to engage with fellow Oxford United supporters, to debate the nuances, how toothless we were against Lincoln, the lack of signings and general goings on. Yes, whilst it happens in football it's actually quite sad that we do discuss it and organise a poll as if the guy who is being polled about isn't a real person.

I have no doubt he is aware of the discontentment, the apathy on this forum and I bet if he hasn't already, his family have read these comments and seen this poll. It really can't help him do his job to the best of his abilities (whether you like him or not), yet I accept it's what you sign up to as a Football Manager. I guarantee he will be very self-critical without the need for a poll; football managers are and I would strongly guess based on his regular interviews and based on his part on the recent BBC Sounds podcast it wouldn't surprise me if he is highly self conscious too. It certainly doesn't help.

Do I personally think KR is the man to take us up? Personally, I don't. But what does my opinion matter? My view is that he doesn't maximise the playing squad, his risk over reward signings don't reflect well and we lack in a number of areas which KR is directly accountable for. I'm sure he knows all of this however. I do think he's a reasonable League One Football Manager with some really good characteristics (some failings too). Just like most of our League One players, they are League One footballers who also have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'm certainly not vocal for a man to lose his job, despite at this stage his under performance. I am however happy to offer constructive comments.
You say people should be kinder to managers and then go on to criticise Robinson. Pundits have been call for mangers to be sacked since the first manager took up their role! I'm sure Robinson knows this. It is bloody hard but I'm sure his renumeration factors this in.

So what you are saying is that it is OK to criticise a manager (you do it yourself in your post), but having a poll where 'Not in the foreseeable future' is one of the options is not? Surely the poll is a reasonable way to gather opinion from all on here, whether they are active posters or not? I am afraid that like it or not, a football manager's life *is* one where they are constantly judged and people have always discussed whether a particular manager is doing a good job at any one time. In fact if you look at the poll, you will see that only 39 people would like to see him removed now - the other 147 who have voted are OK with him having at least until Christmas to put right the mistakes he has made (again). I actually think that's quite restrained! And then take into account that we have over 5,000 ST holders and you'll see that however we are 'voting' on here, it is a small proportion of the fanbase.

If I were him I would be more concerned about a chorus of boos from a normally supportive crowd than a couple of hundred people chewing the fat on an internet forum.

So what you are saying is that it is OK to criticise a manager (you do it yourself in your post), but having a poll where 'Not in the foreseeable future' is one of the options is not? Surely the poll is a reasonable way to gather opinion from all on here, whether they are active posters or not? I am afraid that like it or not, a football manager's life *is* one where they are constantly judged and people have always discussed whether a particular manager is doing a good job at any one time. In fact if you look at the poll, you will see that only 39 people would like to see him removed now - the other 147 who have voted are OK with him having at least until Christmas to put right the mistakes he has made (again). I actually think that's quite restrained! And then take into account that we have over 5,000 ST holders and you'll see that however we are 'voting' on here, it is a small proportion of the fanbase.

If I were him I would be more concerned about a chorus of boos from a normally supportive crowd than a couple of hundred people chewing the fat on an internet forum.
Regarding the booing they said about it on the radio but Nick Harris said he didn’t hear any after the final whistle….. suggest he needs a new hearing aid

You say people should be kinder to managers and then go on to criticise Robinson. Pundits have been call for mangers to be sacked since the first manager took up their role! I'm sure Robinson knows this. It is bloody hard but I'm sure his renumeration factors this in.

I think you both miss the original point.

Something like football is always going to be scrutinised, I get that. I don't think you can not expect some form of constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is our full backs need competition because they aren't performing sufficiently. Voting on when someone ought to lose their job isn't. In isolation it's a bit... Naff.

Access to increased football coverage requires content. That content is scrutinised and the demand for analysis of every nuance is significant. Heck, when Bury and Bolton were on the verge of going out of business, Sky Sports News had a countdown clock to when they go out of business. I understand why, because it grips a casual viewer. It doesn't make it any less crass irrespective whether someone loses their job, whether a club does go out of business (Bolton didn't, Bury did) or whether the viewpoint of the majority is whether the thing they are voting for does or doesn't happen.

I don't mind if people don't think I'm very good at my job. I'm just not sure whether people were voting on when I should be sacked is in good taste given they are still employed and trying to do their best.

Never mind. Perhaps it's in good taste!

Last edited:
Regarding the booing they said about it on the radio but Nick Harris said he didn’t hear any after the final whistle….. suggest he needs a new hearing aid
i assume Nick was remote? have to say i never heard it on Ifollow at the final whistle.

@bazzer9461 are Specsavers still doing Hearing Aids !

I think you both miss the original point.

Something like football is always going to be scrutinised, I get that. I don't think you can not expect some form of constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is our full backs need competition because they aren't performing sufficiently. Voting on when someone ought to lose their job isn't. In isolation it's a bit... Naff.

Access to increased football coverage requires content. That content is scrutinised and the demand for analysis of every nuance is significant. Heck, when Bury and Bolton were on the verge of going out of business, Sky Sports News had a countdown clock to when they go out of business. I understand why, because it grips a casual viewer. It doesn't make it any less crass irrespective whether someone loses their job, whether a club does go out of business (Bolton didn't, Bury did) or whether the viewpoint of the majority is whether the thing they are voting for does or doesn't happen.

I don't mind if people don't think I'm very good at my job. I'm just not sure whether people were voting on when I should be sacked is in good taste given they are still employed and trying to do their best.

Never mind. Perhaps it's in good taste!
Come on, football management has never been a job for life. The vast majority of managers have been and will continue to be sacked. Robinson knows this. And if he doesn't, then I for one call for his er sacking. 🙄

I don’t personally see people commenting on whether a manager is up to the job or not as any different to people saying player x should be sold / released because they aren’t good enough to be here. Where’s the line?

All football managers at all levels of the game make people redundant or unemployed on an annual basis. They tell them they’ll need to move their families to the other end of the country with a few days notice because someone has bid for them and they want them gone so they can sign someone else, they tell them they won’t be able to pay their mortgage in a couple of months’ time as they won’t be extending their contract, and they do these things because they don’t think they’re good enough or simply don’t like them in some cases. Yes, it’s part of the job that they’re paid for, but so is people questioning their decisions or even outright stating that they think they aren’t good enough or suitable in terms of ability. He does the same thing to his players. I really don’t see how anybody who ultimately holds the fate of every player in their hands like some sort of modern day Caesar could ever take issue with some people on the internet judging them the same way.

I get that it might not always be nice and I genuinely do sympathise with that human element, but is him being questioned and his future being speculated on really much different to when he goes on the radio and throws someone under after a bad game, or tells the world that he thinks a player should go and get a job somewhere else because he isn’t up to it?

I do agree that trying to be as respectful as possible when discussing such matters would be preferable, and I definitely try to be as much myself even if I’m firm and wound up after a bad game (or several), but I do think that any job with any sort of public facing characteristics means you can’t escape people debating your role.

I don’t personally see people commenting on whether a manager is up to the job or not as any different to people saying player x should be sold / released because they aren’t good enough to be here. Where’s the line?

All football managers at all levels of the game make people redundant or unemployed on an annual basis. They tell them they’ll need to move their families to the other end of the country with a few days notice because someone has bid for them and they want them gone so they can sign someone else, they tell them they won’t be able to pay their mortgage in a couple of months’ time as they won’t be extending their contract, and they do these things because they don’t think they’re good enough or simply don’t like them in some cases. Yes, it’s part of the job that they’re paid for, but so is people questioning their decisions or even outright stating that they think they aren’t good enough or suitable in terms of ability. He does the same thing to his players. I really don’t see how anybody who ultimately holds the fate of every player in their hands like some sort of modern day Caesar could ever take issue with some people on the internet judging them the same way.

I get that it might not always be nice and I genuinely do sympathise with that human element, but is him being questioned and his future being speculated on really much different to when he goes on the radio and throws someone under after a bad game, or tells the world that he thinks a player should go and get a job somewhere else because he isn’t up to it?

I do agree that trying to be as respectful as possible when discussing such matters would be preferable, and I definitely try to be as much myself even if I’m firm and wound up after a bad game (or several), but I do think that any job with any sort of public facing characteristics means you can’t escape people debating your role.
Yes, it's not just public facing, it's a leading figurehead position - and one from which it's not at all unusual or shameful to be sacked. I don't like ranting or abuse on here in any context but the manager is certainly going to be criticized.

Back
Top Bottom