Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't assume that we are all as ignorant to the reality of the situation as you are.

The club has been working towards this for 2 years or more. There was even discussions about how the board were getting together at the end of the 2018/19 season when stadium options were presented to them. Those discussions led to 3 potential sites being identified and work has been carried out over the last 2 years to narrow that to one site. Considerable work has been carried out to agree in principle the sale and planning need to progress with plans drawn up and finances in place. This is far from speculation and actually very little has been hidden if you can only put the pieces of the jigsaw together.

And believe me, the plans are far from being a soulless dump, which says more about your tiresome negativity! We will have a stadium that will unite so many needs of the community and will be something that will go far beyond football.

I genuinely can't wait for the day when this goes public and we'll see just how wrong some have been.

Not wishing to be "tiresomely negative" but planning tends to become public and/or sites purchased sometime before the diggers turn up.
I get the sites can be identified, a wish list if you like.
I get that we need the folk with the money.
I also get that one consistent part of a football club are us, the fans, those folk who have been there parting with their hard-earned for years. Those people who want/need to be part of the journey.

I just hope we don`t end up with something like the Colchester Community Stadium.
Dumped at the side of a dual carriageway, close to the town but far enough away to be inconvenient and isolated in the middle of nowhere because the rest of the developments have yet to appear around it. ;)

No mention of your "we'll hear something pretty soon" comment of six months ago.
No, because the changing structure to the board means that many announcements are being coordinated to be announced over the summer, and that will very likely begin in the next week.

No, because the changing structure to the board means that many announcements are being coordinated to be announced over the summer, and that will very likely begin in the next week.
Well, you seem to have all the answers. You make Harold Wilson look like a beginner.

Let's say FK wants £35-£40 million for the lot stadium, land, hotels, leisure and the like and will walk away.

Can anyone buy a 25 acre site in Oxford, with the tricky & difficult planning already done for that sort of price?

As a bonus it has a half built but functional football ground and tenants paying rent in several units.

Future bonus lots of houses are planned to be built around it.

Stranger things have happened.
And the rest
The land had an estimated worth of 65 million several years ago without any buildings on it other than the stadium

How much will a house builder pay for that land once we have left though?

It becomes a brownfield site so decreases in value compared to a nice empty field.
A lot of the old factories around the waterside in Leicester have been an eyesore for decades until the City Council cut a deal with Keepmoat.
AFAIK the Waterside site hasn`t been bought outright and there is a deal between the landowner(s), council & developers to construct it in phases.
I would suggest it would be similar "deal" once/if the site becomes vacant.

It becomes a brownfield site so decreases in value compared to a nice empty field.
A lot of the old factories around the waterside in Leicester have been an eyesore for decades until the City Council cut a deal with Keepmoat.
AFAIK the Waterside site hasn`t been bought outright and there is a deal between the landowner(s), council & developers to construct it in phases.
I would suggest it would be similar "deal" once/if the site becomes vacant.

Don't think you can compare a city centre water side development to the grenoble Road site. 1800 homes being built across the road, so it will no longer have its country views and with it being in close proximity to the sewers its probably one of the less desirable places to buy in Oxfordshire.

Don't think you can compare a city centre water side development to the grenoble Road site. 1800 homes being built across the road, so it will no longer have its country views and with it being in close proximity to the sewers its probably one of the less desirable places to buy in Oxfordshire.
There are potential plans to close the Thames Water facility and relocate. This would enhance the viability for housing.

I live near a sewerage site and walk past it with the dog regularly and can’t really smell anything, apparently they put some additive in to keep that down now. Hasn’t kept the house prices down round here anyway, still exorbitant just because it’s half an hour to London.

The earmarking of Grenoble Road for 3,000+ houses was the signal for the good ship "Flog the Kassam to a housing developer" to prepare for departure.

Once the builders move in over the road, the only future development I can see for the Minchery Farm site is for retail.

If I were FK, I'd be angling for some sort of deal being struck in conjunction with the housing going up, but that may well depend on what the club may have in mind.....

FWIW I would be broadly in favour in sheer principle alone of staying in the current location and starting from scratch. Rebuild the stadium (one stand at a time if need be), rebuild the amenities around it, and do a proper job. Especially if thousands more houses appear over the road. I would want the stadium pretty much ploughed into the ground and built back up again, because I hate it so much and don’t think I can ever learn to like it in anything resembling its current form, but in theory the idea of staying in that area, on that patch of land and totally redeveloping it doesn’t bother me.

I just know that this isn’t the plan and doesn’t make any financial sense for it to be so.

I live near a sewerage site and walk past it with the dog regularly and can’t really smell anything, apparently they put some additive in to keep that down now. Hasn’t kept the house prices down round here anyway, still exorbitant just because it’s half an hour to London.

Likewise live near a sewage plant, it was a bother in the 80s but hasn't been a bother for decades and Abingdon Marina being right by one didn't affect their prices at all.

Likewise live near a sewage plant, it was a bother in the 80s but hasn't been a bother for decades and Abingdon Marina being right by one didn't affect their prices at all.

Yes I live by the one in Abingdon Marina but it doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as the one near the kassam.

FWIW I would be broadly in favour in sheer principle alone of staying in the current location and starting from scratch. Rebuild the stadium (one stand at a time if need be), rebuild the amenities around it, and do a proper job. Especially if thousands more houses appear over the road. I would want the stadium pretty much ploughed into the ground and built back up again, because I hate it so much and don’t think I can ever learn to like it in anything resembling its current form, but in theory the idea of staying in that area, on that patch of land and totally redeveloping it doesn’t bother me.

Welcome aboard the redevelopment bus. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom