Ex Player Ryan Williams

Excellent signing, really happy with the early business done (as promised!). Appreciate there is still work to do but the squad is already starting to take shape which is more than I would have expected at this stage. Excited to get back there and support the team

Good signing.

Also an indication that we're planning on really going for it this season and next, because a nearly 28 year old winger is not a signing with the future in mind......

I thought he was outstanding. Got caught out of position a couple of times in the first half, but soon got over that. What really struck me was that, as not one of the taller players, he won so much in the air. Could prove to be a secret weapon all over the pitch.

What you have to also consider, Williams would have done zero match preparation for this game for playing right back. Literally not one bit of training this week with that in mind. Then 10 minutes before kick off, due to unforeseen circumstances he gets thrown in there and asked to do the job. I thought he was fantastic. He got caught out positionally a couple of times in the first 15 minutes, which was to be expected - of course he's going to naturally gravitate higher up the pitch. But thereafter he did not put a foot wrong. What I like about him is that he is a bit more tenacious and aggressive than your typical winger and seems to enjoy getting stuck in a bit, which perhaps lends itself well to doing a fill-in job at RB.

It's also a great goal by him as well when you look at it in its entirety - he dispossesses their player on the edge of our box, plays it to Brannagan and then just does not stop running, sprinting a full 60/70 yards and doing what all good players do and following up the shot. Ok the finish may be a sidefoot from 6 yards, but its just desserts for his work at the other end of the pitch.

Last edited:
I was saying RW as MOTM from about five minutes into the match.
The whole way he approached the game and just got on with doing the best he could in an alternative role to his normal position should be a lesson to others.
His maturity and experience are going to be massive for us this season

He was really good last time he was here and looks like he will make an equally positive impact this time around.

I reckon RW will be supporters player of the season this season he was superb yesterday
Williams did brilliantly yesterday but he wasn’t great first game at Cambridge plus what about Seddon, Brannigan, Whyte… we’ll see but I bet you he isn’t!

Say what you like about Aussies but theres a tenacity, spirit and honesty about them and Williams was a prime example yesterday. I imagine good characters to have around the dressing room and on the pitch. I said at the time that he was a positive signing and, as someone else previously pointed out, this sort of solid recruitment - although less spectacular - is safer than some of the more eye catching yet inconsistent loanees we’ve had.

I would suggest we don't build him up so that expectation isn't too much. Sounded like he had a good game but it is only one game.
He's played over 50 games at Championship level, I think he's a really decent player at this level. It is early days but it's looking like good business.

Was just digging into history a bit to see if he actually played for Subiaco AFC as a kid (my boy's team - it looks like he didn't) and discovered he has 2 brothers who are pros: Rhys who is older and currently plays for Western Sydney Wanderers, and a twin brother Aryn (see what they did there?) who plays for an Indonesian side (Persebaya - no obvious links to Bakrie BTW!).

Back
Top Bottom