Side for the 1st Test?

Can anyone tell me what Ben Foakes did wrong? 100 on debut and man of the series against Sri Lanka. Yeah he's a keeper but I'd have him in the side for his batting over Denly every day of the week.

This was the point I was about to make. Moeen’s bowling has been excellent over 12 months. David Warner often thinks he can go after him too and often gets unstuck - he got him out four times in 2015.

As for our XI, I’ve stewed over this for some time. Personally I wouldn’t have Burns in there who is looking exposed and I have doubts over Denly too. I maybe would have considered Sibley and a recall for Malan who has plundered runs this year, but hey ho.

I’d go for the following based on the squad named.

Burns
Roy
Root
Denly
Stokes
Buttler
Woakes
Ali
Archer
Broad
Anderson

And I’m still not all that happy with it! I want Curran’s counterattacking batting in there, but can’t justify dropping Broad who raises his game for these occasions, Woakes who is in form and will be playing at his home ground, Archer who will terrify the Aussies and Anderson who can’t ever be dropped.

The only solace is that the Aussies have the same problem!
Be amazed if Bairstow doesn't play.

Last edited:
This was the point I was about to make. Moeen’s bowling has been excellent over 12 months. David Warner often thinks he can go after him too and often gets unstuck - he got him out four times in 2015.

As for our XI, I’ve stewed over this for some time. Personally I wouldn’t have Burns in there who is looking exposed and I have doubts over Denly too. I maybe would have considered Sibley and a recall for Malan who has plundered runs this year, but hey ho.

I’d go for the following based on the squad named.

Burns
Roy
Root
Denly
Stokes
Buttler
Woakes
Ali
Archer
Broad
Anderson

And I’m still not all that happy with it! I want Curran’s counterattacking batting in there, but can’t justify dropping Broad who raises his game for these occasions, Woakes who is in form and will be playing at his home ground, Archer who will terrify the Aussies and Anderson who can’t ever be dropped.

The only solace is that the Aussies have the same problem!
Drop Bairstow? Bot sure that will happen and if you are not sure about Denly and Burns how can you leave out one of our best batsmen?

Can anyone tell me what Ben Foakes did wrong? 100 on debut and man of the series against Sri Lanka. Yeah he's a keeper but I'd have him in the side for his batting over Denly every day of the week.
He did nothing wrong. It's just that it seems to be thought that Bairstow and Buttler can keep and give better balance to the side.
The alternative is to play Bairstow or Buttler in the top 3

Got to play Woakes on his home ground surely? Especially after Lords last week.
But his record outside of Lords is ok at best (what a problem eh!).

The issue is they will want to play Archer for his pace. Anderson and Broad seem to be an inseparable pair for England and their management, which leaves one space free. So it's Ali or Woakes, and I'd err to Ali as it will provide some relief to the pace bowlers. It's harsh on Woakes but the balance of the team is important too.

The team would be
  1. Burns
  2. Roy
  3. Root
  4. Denly
  5. Stokes
  6. Buttler
  7. Bairstow
  8. Ali
  9. Archer
  10. Broad
  11. Anderson
I don't see a way to get Woakes into the team without dropping Broad - I'm happy to do that personally but I just can't see the selectors doing it. if they did drop Archer, I can see Stone coming in to keep the pressure of a quicker pace in the team.

But his record outside of Lords is ok at best (what a problem eh!).

The issue is they will want to play Archer for his pace. Anderson and Broad seem to be an inseparable pair for England and their management, which leaves one space free. So it's Ali or Woakes, and I'd err to Ali as it will provide some relief to the pace bowlers. It's harsh on Woakes but the balance of the team is important too.

The team would be
  1. Burns
  2. Roy
  3. Root
  4. Denly
  5. Stokes
  6. Buttler
  7. Bairstow
  8. Ali
  9. Archer
  10. Broad
  11. Anderson
I don't see a way to get Woakes into the team without dropping Broad - I'm happy to do that personally but I just can't see the selectors doing it. if they did drop Archer, I can see Stone coming in to keep the pressure of a quicker pace in the team.

Archer has dropped hints he won't be playing in the 1st game because of his injury. Hopefully he is fully fit onwards.

Seems like Curran is getting overlooked in a lot of your selections. Any reason for that?

Seems like Curran is getting overlooked in a lot of your selections. Any reason for that?
I like Curran, but if you say that Broad and Anderson start, and you want Archer in and a spinner, comes down to Woakes or Curran really.

Although as I said earlier, I think Archer will sit out so Curran would be in.

I think Wood is out of the first 3 tests isn't he?

I like Curran, but if you say that Broad and Anderson start, and you want Archer in and a spinner, comes down to Woakes or Curran really.

Although as I said earlier, I think Archer will sit out so Curran would be in.

I think Wood is out of the first 3 tests isn't he?

Yeah, he's certainly out for a few. We do have a good wealth of bowling options at the moment certainly. I think Curran is being seen more as an all-rounder by those in the England setup now, so what with our opening batsman problems, I would reduce the amount of out-and-out batters and pack the middle order.

And I'm going to say the same thing to you that I said to Battman…...

…...which is that we're going into a Test series where ball is destined to dominate bat. Where both teams have tons of bowling options but big worries over their batting. I just don't see how you can justify picking five bowlers + Stokes, and having Woakes (or Curran, or Ali) batting as high as #7.
If we can't bowl Australia out with four bowlers + Stokes, we're not winning the Ashes, period.

The only way I think you could justify it is if you think that - at the moment - there genuinely isn't a batsman in England who's more likely to score runs in the Ashes than Chris Woakes. Which is really, really sad if it's true!

Oh, I agree. I've picked based on the squad England have and Stokes is more in for batting than bowling. His maturity with the bat in recent years has to be applauded.

You've cited the problem. England are desperately short of a top three so Woakes is considered as a genuine hope for runs. The depressing part is that you look at CC averages and it's the same old names at the top of the charts - Jennings, Cook, Ballance, Lyth - players we cannot go back to. As such, we're throwing a lot of new faces into what is the most hostile form of Test cricket. I think any form of experience and evidence that you can stand up to the pressure of these environments can count for something, hence why Roy is a deserving pick. And it's why I've added Malan below. England were doomed back in 2017-18 and never had a hope of winning the Ashes. Malan had a tough time but made some contributions along the way. I think his fielding did for him almost as much as his performance with the bat last summer but I think he showed the right attitude and is deserving of another opportunity. Even so, he's at three rather than four where he bats for Middlesex which doesn't exactly sort anything out.

I realised in my sleep-deprived state that I missed out on Bairstow in working from the top and bottom and trying to juggle the middle order. Based on how I'd really like to do things with others at my disposal, my XI would be the following.

Roy
Sibley
Malan
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Archer
Anderson

Woakes and Archer could equally be replaced by Curran and Broad too. Guh - so difficult to choose.

anyone know when the actual squad of 14/ starting eleven for the first test (tomorrow) will be officially annoced/ unveiled ?

I really, really hope I’m proven wrong but I can’t see Denly doing anything in terms of runs (and, to a lesser extent, Burns)

I’d probably keep Burns in to open, but I wouldn’t bother playing Denly (here’s to him scoring a century now)

anyone know when the actual squad of 14/ starting eleven for the first test (tomorrow) will be officially annoced/ unveiled ?
Quote often it is when the toss happens at 10.30ish.
Occasionally England may let a bowler or two go early due to the pitch but Ibexpect it will be a late decision

Archer has dropped hints he won't be playing in the 1st game because of his injury. Hopefully he is fully fit onwards.
It's been mooted by some outlets, but with the week inbetween tests, they are not that worried about playing him tomorrow.

Sarge
Denly has said he'll bat at 4 and Root at 3. So I presume the top 4 will be Burns Roy Root Denly. It looks like they are holding fire on the bowling until they see what the final pitch prep looks like. Only Root in that top 4 is proven and we could be blown away.
I think there will be 3 all rounders minimum to bolster a fragile looking top order.

Here it is:
Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root (c), Joe Denly, Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson.

Back
Top Bottom