National News Sir Keir Starmer

Basically all the Tories had left in Amersham was the old UKIP vote....which tells you all you need to know about where the Tory party is positioning itself.
47 years in power and they f**led it up [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Labour got 622 votes out of 38,000 cast.

622!

in the last election they got over 11,000. Was there a pact with the Lib Dems and tactical voting?

It's a copy of what's happening around us. Major opposition to the proposed changes in planning law. Bit of a dilemma for Johnson and Co, do what your developer paymasters want or placate your core vote. Defo major tactical voting at play.

Labour got 622 votes out of 38,000 cast.

622!

in the last election they got over 11,000. Was there a pact with the Lib Dems and tactical voting?
Could be. No point t in voting Labour there....never has been! The fact that the greens came in third suggests that HS2 was the number one issue as well as planning issues (because yet again the Government didn't listen and took them for granted). It's the polar opposite of what happened in Hartlepool...that and the Tories hoovering up the Brexit party/UKIP vote.

Whatever way you look at it, the demolition of a 16k plus majority, turned into an 8k LD majority is pretty seismic and more worrying for the party who have been a shoo in for the best part of 59 years.

"Aspirational politics " doesn't work in Buckinghamshire it would seem[emoji848]

Voter turnout was down at 52%, whereas it is usually 70%+ - back of a fag packet maths makes that 18,000-19,000 "missing" voters. A bigger surprise is the utter and total collapse of the Labour vote.

I'd love to think there was a chance of ousting the shire tories (especially my useless incumbent in the Henley ward), but when it comes to a general election, I'm pretty sure it will be business as usual.....

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m
No doubt preparing for government, as Jo Swison suggested before the 2019 election.
Labour mustered just a few hundred votes

No doubt preparing for government, as Jo Swison suggested before the 2019 election.
Labour mustered just a few hundred votes
Yep - Labour got fewer votes than the National Front did in that constituency in 1979 :oops: (mind you, turnout was 79.7% back then). Voting Labour there is about as much use as voting Labour in Henley or West Oxon (although Chipping Norton seems to be wising up....).

I'm in and around that area and the LD were everywhere - posters, signs, leaflet drops almost every day. Meanwhile, the Tories approach made the Remain campaign strategy look dynamic.

LD led with planning law changes first, then HS2 next (tho more about holding govt to account as it progresses - eg the impact on the quality of local water supplies - rather than stopping it completely). The stop HS2 vote went to the greens.

Cheryl Gillan was a good local MP, who spent a lot of time helping her constituents. If the new LD woman puts 10% of the effort she put into winning into doing her job here and in Westminster then she'll be a worthy successor.

Labour lost their deposit.
The local Labour party has 600 members.
They polled 622.

Definitely tactical voting to send a warning shot to Boris & co.

The electorate, all of us, are better informed, shrewder, cleverer, and more savvy than the political parties give us credit for.

Yes it`s only a tinpot local council election and the turnout was under 17%... that is no misprint btw.
However its a Conservative councillor in Red Leicester!
Sorry Kier. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Can anyone explain why the Tory party are still so popular or is it just that there’s no opposition.
After 9 + years of austerity ( is that spelling correct) the poorest only getting poorer. Cuts to all our public services etc, etc,Or is all down to 3 words, get brexit done?

Can anyone explain why the Tory party are still so popular or is it just that there’s no opposition.
After 9 + years of austerity ( is that spelling correct) the poorest only getting poorer. Cuts to all our public services etc, etc,Or is all down to 3 words, get brexit done?

Lack of opposition with any policies except "we aren`t them".
Too many "radical" MP`s that don`t give a flying fig about their constituents.
Cuts to public services? NHS historic debt (£13bn) written off?
Austerity? Or working within a budget? Most people understand how that works.

It’s the complete lack of opposition and the fairly obvious rifts between left and centre within the main opposition. Our voting system also has a part to play.

Lack of opposition with any policies except "we aren`t them".
Too many "radical" MP`s that don`t give a flying fig about their constituents.
Cuts to public services? NHS historic debt (£13bn) written off?
Austerity? Or working within a budget? Most people understand how that works.
Educate me, is it just the NHS that doesn’t understand the need to work within a budget or is the need to & actually working to a budget different.
If most people understand working within a budget how come personal debt is 119 billion excluding mortgages.

How come it's just "numbers in a spreadsheet" when it suits your argument?
But to be fair we were in financial s**t and DC had to do something to try and bring us back on track. I do agree austerity went in longer than I would have hoped.
Another argument is the billions we are spending on trying to counter the immigration problem which is not just about trying not stop it but also dealing with it when they arrive, This could have helped with a better pay rise for the NHS.
What does worry me is how are the government and successive governments are going to recoup all the money that has been spent in trying to keep the economy going with the furlough scheme and buisness grants that have been given to try and help these people out.

Back
Top Bottom