General Small ship cruises - Any experiences?

Manorlounger

Mrs L and myself are contemplating taking a cruise next year. We hate the thought of a floating skyscraper and are looking for something much smaller. We've looked at the cruises going up the coast of Norway but, alcohol prices are astronomical and we do like a drink or two when on holiday! Now looking at maybe Mediterranean coast cruises. Hoping for some recommendations from anyone on here. From what we've seen so far, prices are high when the ships are small. Thoughts?

Mrs L and myself are contemplating taking a cruise next year. We hate the thought of a floating skyscraper and are looking for something much smaller. We've looked at the cruises going up the coast of Norway but, alcohol prices are astronomical and we do like a drink or two when on holiday! Now looking at maybe Mediterranean coast cruises. Hoping for some recommendations from anyone on here. From what we've seen so far, prices are high when the ships are small. Thoughts?

I haven't been on one, not my thing but have you considered a river cruise?

Hurtigrutan ships are pretty small and some of the prices do include drinks, Oceania and amezera ,regent Severn seas,Oceania; seaborne are the smaller upmarket ones that I can think of,

I haven't been on one, not my thing but have you considered a river cruise?
I'd quite happily cruise the Rhine. Having worked in Germany, and speaking German, I'd be happy but, it wouldn't be so good for Mrs L. Might have a look at the French rivers/canals.

Hurtigrutan ships are pretty small and some of the prices do include drinks, Oceania and amezera ,regent Severn seas,Oceania; seaborne are the smaller upmarket ones that I can think of,
The original "fast window" (literal translation-almost) is a great trip but, alcohol prices (and availability) in Norway are prohibitive. I remember queueing at the official alcohol sales shop in Norway for what was, a rationed sale of already expensive booze. It was in Norway that I had my first taste of "hjembrandt" literally, home brew. I knew a chap who filtered medicinal alcohol to make it safe to drink! Lethal stuff. That's why we've been looking at the Med as an alternative.
It's a shame because we would both love to see the fjords and the towns of the north.

If you want small cruise ships one good place to look at is around the Dalmatian islands, normally out of Dubrovnik, did one years ago , very basic but “fun”, only drawback was war being declared whilst on holiday which was rather scary looking back on it

Never been on any cruise but I think I have heard Viking River cruises have a good reputation - they seem to pick up awards regularly. Perhaps looking at winners of different cruising awards might help?

My impression (based on summer trips to France most years since 2009) is that some European rivers e.g. Loire seem to be drying up, so if it were me, I would check carefully what sections are definitely navigable.

The weekend newspaper travel sections e.g. Telegraph, Times etc. often have features on cruise companies so may be worth looking at for recommendations.

I'd quite happily cruise the Rhine. Having worked in Germany, and speaking German, I'd be happy but, it wouldn't be so good for Mrs L. Might have a look at the French rivers/canals.

The original "fast window" (literal translation-almost) is a great trip but, alcohol prices (and availability) in Norway are prohibitive. I remember queueing at the official alcohol sales shop in Norway for what was, a rationed sale of already expensive booze. It was in Norway that I had my first taste of "hjembrandt" literally, home brew. I knew a chap who filtered medicinal alcohol to make it safe to drink! Lethal stuff. That's why we've been looking at the Med as an alternative.
It's a shame because we would both love to see the fjords and the towns of the north.

For a river cruise, have you thought of the Danube?

Don’t forget the pampas grass for outside your door.

The properly minted folks come to WA and do this. Not sure what the price is compared to Norwegian booze.

Our neighbour did a Danube cruise a few years ago and loved it, although it was a bit damp/chilly apparently especially in the mornings.

Mother in Law was a "frequent flyer" with Silversea.

She done almost their entire brochure from Antarctica to the Galapagos.

There is always Saga as well....... :)

For a river cruise, have you thought of the Danube?
Was going to suggest this, mad popular in Germany and some small boats involved. Starts in Passau, goes through Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest and on into the hills.

Was going to suggest this, mad popular in Germany and some small boats involved. Starts in Passau, goes through Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest and on into the hills.
Pure coincidence but, I worked in Passau for nearly a year when I was still being a DJ. Used to watch some of the boats pass by from a bar up on the hills overlooking the town. Did look like an attractive idea. It's possible to do similar through France which might be better for wine!

We're booked on a 11 day Hurtigruten cruise of west Norway this June. Prices are all inclusive, apart from drinks (which we know will be VERY expensive!) and gratuities. The boat is the MS Richard With and there will only be 500/600 passengers as it sails up the coast to 25 or so ports of various sizes. There will be no 'cruise ship entertainment' on board, although experts will be on hand to lecture on wildlife, geology etc

It was certainly not cheap, but we're seeing it as a 'once in a lifetime' experience. PM me if you want more details.

We're booked on a 11 day Hurtigruten cruise of west Norway this June. Prices are all inclusive, apart from drinks (which we know will be VERY expensive!) and gratuities. The boat is the MS Richard With and there will only be 500/600 passengers as it sails up the coast to 25 or so ports of various sizes. There will be no 'cruise ship entertainment' on board, although experts will be on hand to lecture on wildlife, geology etc

It was certainly not cheap, but we're seeing it as a 'once in a lifetime' experience. PM me if you want more details.
Thanks Pete, we've been looking at the Hurtigruten as an option along with Havila Voyages (also Norwegian) Both offer the size of ship we are looking for, it's just the drinks bit that is putting us off! (raging alcoholics the pair of us!)
The attraction for me, at least, is the opportunity to visit a lot of places where I once worked. Sadly, both cruise lines only go into port for very short stops. I'd be interested to hear how you enjoy the cruise. I hope you enjoy the trip and I know you will enjoy the scenery. The food is pretty good too!

To put prices in to perspective our first cruise was in 1992 and a inside 2 berth )bunks) was £1200 each, a 52 night to Sydney in jan next year was £4500. ,insurance costs due to my decripitude was £1500+

Done that. It’s brilliant. One of the optional tours en route was kijaking in a fjord in the arctic Circle. Breathtaking scenery.

If you want small cruise ships one good place to look at is around the Dalmatian islands, normally out of Dubrovnik, did one years ago , very basic but “fun”, only drawback was war being declared whilst on holiday which was rather scary looking back on it
Am doing this in June, starting and ending in Split. Visits five islands. Small boat, 17 cabins. Our idea of a “cruise.”

Back
Top Bottom