Manager/Coach Substitution Coach

Scotchegg

'One of these guys could be your match-winner' - is a substitution coach the future in football? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59018115

Not as mad as it sounds. We've seen performances drop after making substitutions this season and maybe there's more that can be done to get into players heads in the minutes before they come on. Also, I'd like to see one of the S&C coaches doing work with them in the same way we do before the game starts. It's not just our club, but most players barely stretch and spend more time watching the game than getting themselves physically ready. Marginal gains and small changes could make all the difference.

Not surprised.

How often do you se a sub trot down the touchline only to become fixated with the ongoing match

That worked plenty of times last season.
.... the only time I can recall 3 subs coming on at once last season was the debacle at home to Sw*nd*n .... and we all know how much of a disaster that was ( there may have been one or two other triple subs last season - when 5 subs were allowed in league games- but I cant remember any)

that said, Im more in favour of up to 5 subs than up to 3 subs (in league games)... even with the limited to 3 times subs are permitted to be made..... albeit perhaps, with 5 subs permitted ( this season in FA Cup games) , perhaps KR should stick to 2, 2 and 1- in any combination- if he is going to use all 5?

maybe two double substitutions in the 2nd half yesterday might not have been as disruptive as the 3 the 1? , though it is easy being clever in retrospect isn't it?

maybe two double substitutions in the 2nd half yesterday might not have been as disruptive as the 3 the 1? , though it is easy being clever in retrospect isn't it?
There were plenty of raised eyebrows around me at the time when we made those three subs.

Wasn’t at the game Jerome … but Robbo’s substitutions generally work well.

Not yesterday though seemingly. Smacked of complacency

Reckon we’ll get turned over in the replay. Because we naturally won’t play our strongest team sandwiched between two potential season defining away league games .

'One of these guys could be your match-winner' - is a substitution coach the future in football? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59018115

Not as mad as it sounds. We've seen performances drop after making substitutions this season and maybe there's more that can be done to get into players heads in the minutes before they come on. Also, I'd like to see one of the S&C coaches doing work with them in the same way we do before the game starts. It's not just our club, but most players barely stretch and spend more time watching the game than getting themselves physically ready. Marginal gains and small changes could make all the difference.
No doubt there'll be some that will deride this just like they did when Liverpool employed a throw-in coach, but have a coach on the match day dedicated to working with the substitutes is a pretty good idea. Initially I thought it was about having a coach who just chooses when players come on/off, but when you think about it there are many areas a coach like this can have a positive impact in.

That said, I am quite surprised at how bad managers can be when it comes to making subs. As infallible as Klopp is as a coach, the timing of his substitutions are always 10-15 minutes too late, and the less said about Southgate making almost no changes to win the game in Euro 2020 the better.

I don't know if it's because I play too much Football Manager, but I've become pretty good at predicting what subs are made at least 5 minutes before they happen. Perhaps I'll see if there are any openings on Indeed.

Back
Top Bottom