Sweet Caroline

Sadly I fear this is true. We've all seen how easily people take offence when they put their minds to it.
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon was ours, not the greatest but distinctive. Or that Slade one MyOh My. Hard to explain to the young folk maybe.

What song would you suggest as a connection to OUFC?

See my previous post, I don't think we need to force it.

If something developed naturally, then great. I'm not old enough to remember Leader of the Gang being played, but sounds like that was something everyone got behind.

I'm also a big fan of the Perkele song. It's unique, relevant to us, and came about because of the fans, so I'd be happy to see a return of that at full time as well.

Whether England or Oxford, to me it will always feel like copying the Red Sox, every bit as much as if we started singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles"!
Before joking about hearing “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles” in a Boston accent, I thought I’d look up the history of the song, and there is a baseball connection according to Wikipedia, but with the wrong coloured sox:
“The writer Ring Lardner parodied the lyric during the Black Sox scandal of 1919, when he began to suspect that players on the Chicago White Sox (a United States-based baseball team) were deliberately losing the World Series to the Cincinnati Reds.[2] His version began: "I'm forever blowing ballgames."”

(And for bonus trivia, when my son was about 7 he heard West Ham singing on a YouTube show and told me that the words were “I’m forever wiggling my balls. Wiggling my balls in the air”. Could catch on.)

SC is a naff cringeworthy song, that U's fans don't sing anyway and just go da da da, hardly rapturous celebrating!

SC has been sung by Northern Ireland fans for ages as well, so again it's hardly original for England either..

Yep, far to upbeat, far to relevant to a team that plays in yellow and blue, too easy to sing along to.

Lets have a nice uplifting dirge like Coldplay....
Relevant? Have we morphed into Sweden all of a sudden?

Dear Pedant....... colour match. That's it.

Football songs, generically, need to be simple, relevant and uplifting.
I agree it's a great one to play before or after the game, but hard to sing. I like Sweet Caroline because it's become a bit of a tradition - we adopted it long before England had anything to sing about. It would be nice to have a fans' song for the east stand to sing though.

There are people who want to bring me down cause
I want to fly the flag
With my head held high I'm fighting back
For the colours of my land
My feelings are so true to the Yellow
And the Blue
It's the colours of my heart and it always beats for you
Chorus (2x):
My heart beats for you
The Yellow and the Blue
There are people full of ignorance
Who want to bring me down…

And for those who maybe concerned about the "skins" image of the band.
Perkele claim to be strongly against all kinds of racism, nationalism, fascism, sexism, and homophobia as well as being opposed to hate, war, and environmental pollution.

Its a winner all the way! :)

I quite like SC cos it gets played when we win and I can just about remember the relevant words……

But:

I Always thought Donovan’s “Mellow Yellow” (with minor adjustments to the words) would work well from the east stand. It’s an easy song to sing en mass.

Back
Top Bottom