Chairman Takeover now Old Car Chat

I think I mentioned it once before but getting our tank of a bright orange (“vermillion red”) maxi down the cutting at over a ton was the crowning moment of my 17 year old driving career. Shaken not shtirred.

My first car was a Wolseley Hornet. Think (orignal) Mini with bits added on! (There was also a Riley Elf that was very similar).

It was the enabler of many adventures!

I'm a tall chap and had to put in a smaller steering wheel so I could drive it, as my knees were where the large steering wheel was.

A story my late Dad used to tell: My grandfather on my Dad's side worked for Pressed Steel. My Dad himself was about 6' 5". One day while visiting his dad at work (or he may have been working with him as a holiday job - was never really clear on this), he was collared by some bloke who asked him to come and sit in a mockup of a car because he wanted to make sure that tall people could fit. That chap was Alec Issigonis. So as a result my dad could fit in my Hornet and in my Mum's mini that she had years earlier. Not sure Issigonis tried him with a steering wheel in it though!

Last edited:
Brilliant Sunday afternoons. Standlake was great you had some great rivals teams when I went. Pirates, Saints.

I also did Northampton and Farringdon as a kid, and driving was great at 15.
Dad had a friend who raced. When ever Dad had a car fail MOT badly his mate had them off him for racing.
I remember he had a Morris Oxford which his mate took racing and it did well. Also remember someone converting a Jag into a 6 wheeler.

Quite a few announcements regarding coaching staff today, building up to the big one perhaps? (I've been told no announcement this week though).

My dad had an Allegro and I was looking to buy one recently as a bit of a joke but they're all either:

1. Dust; or
2. About £3k+ for a poor example

My first automobile was a Reliant Robin (well you can hardly call it a car).
Not green but white. Never tipped it on it's side a la Clarkson.
1 Reliant_Robin_ca_1974_green_in_Ely.jpg

Then my first real car was a Wolseley 1500 in this colour
2 Wolseley 1500.jpeg

Later I had my own licenced taxi, an Austin 1800 (better known as a land crab) in this colour
Taxi Austin 1800.jpg
this lovely lady travelled more than 800 thousand mile, used up 2 engines and 3 automatic gearboxes.
Saw her later in a garage off the Cowley road with just over 300 thousand miles. Hmmm how did that happen?

My first automobile was a Reliant Robin (well you can hardly call it a car).
Not green but white. Never tipped it on it's side a la Clarkson.
View attachment 6628

Then my first real car was a Wolseley 1500 in this colour
View attachment 6629

Later I had my own licenced taxi, an Austin 1800 (better known as a land crab) in this colour
View attachment 6630
this lovely lady travelled more than 800 thousand mile, used up 2 engines and 3 automatic gearboxes.
Saw her later in a garage off the Cowley road with just over 300 thousand miles. Hmmm how did that happen?

Maybe half of the number 8 "wore off"? Or it just "slipped" back? Wasn`t the garage behind The Swan was it?? 😁

Ahhhh the good old days when you could replace engines, gearboxes etc for less than the price of the car itself.

Maybe half of the number 8 "wore off"? Or it just "slipped" back? Wasn`t the garage behind The Swan was it?? 😁

Ahhhh the good old days when you could replace engines, gearboxes etc for less than the price of the car itself.
Yes it was.

Yes I used to do a lot of stuff myself. For the big jobs there was another taxi owner who helped folk out. Like replacing the suspension units when they leaked, making the car the original angry crab.

I always wanted a Triumph Stag, there was no rhyme or reason to it and it would have been totally impractical. :love:
Used 1974 Triumph Stag MKII 3.0 Sports Manual Petrol For Sale in Essex  (U132) | Lux Classics

Back
Top Bottom