Ex-Staff Karl Robinson

You’ve also mentioned SIX names, which pretty much covers all the current favourites. Are you ITK?

Why?

I've given a fairly reasonable response to a question that was asked of me, and you look to score points.

Exactly, why bother.

Maybe others just holding their counsel and showing a bit more class.
The thing with the whole former player & former manager don’t get on goes a bit like this -

Manager doesn’t rate a player or his work ethic, manager eventually moves on and very, very rarely tries to sign the same player at his new club.

Player moves on and is playing elsewhere. There is a small to reasonable chance that his former manager will take over at the player’s new club a year or so later. Said player knows it’s time to move on quickly if he said anything adverse about the manager in the past.

This is why most badly-treated players will bite their lip and say nothing when a manager throws them under the bus before being sacked. Not because they’ve more class but because they know it’s a short career as a player but managers have much longer careers.

McDermott and Whitehead ? On what basis ? They played for us donkeys years ago ?
I don’t personally want Dean Whitehead to get the role as I think it would tarnish his reputation with the club if it all went Pete Tong. But I have seen far worse names mentioned on this forum over the last day or so.

Deano played under some top, top managers (in all 4 divisions I think?) so it was no surprise to see him go into coaching. He did well at Port Vale as part of a team that got them promoted and established this season, had a spell at Shrewsbury where he cut his teeth as a number 2 and also coached at Besiktas. Now at Cardiff.

I don’t think I’d necessarily want him as the head coach at Oxford just yet but maybe working alongside someone like Andy Crosby could be a good partnership.

The thing with the whole former player & former manager don’t get on goes a bit like this -

Manager doesn’t rate a player or his work ethic, manager eventually moves on and very, very rarely tries to sign the same player at his new club.

Player moves on and is playing elsewhere. There is a small to reasonable chance that his former manager will take over at the player’s new club a year or so later. Said player knows it’s time to move on quickly if he said anything adverse about the manager in the past.

This is why most badly-treated players will bite their lip and say nothing when a manager throws them under the bus before being sacked. Not because they’ve more class but because they know it’s a short career as a player but managers have much longer careers.

Yeah that’s makes a lot of sense.

All I would say is that if a former manager ends up at your current club and as a player he never rated your ability or work ethic in the first place, it is more than likely he is eventually going to be moving you on again anyway, regardless of whether there was anything said in the public domain.

But yeah, biting your lip would atleast make that situation more tolerable and may even help reconcile a situation.

So yeah, perhaps it is not a case of showing class but more a case of showing some intelligence.

Last edited:
I was told last night by a friend who is close to someone inside the club that it cost close to £1m to sack Robinson, once win bonuses are factored in... was gonna believe them until they said win bonuses as that would amount to... £0.

I see Robbo gets a mention in the latest issue of "The Upshot" email newsletter.. not by name, but the "story" is clearly only one man

I see Robbo gets a mention in the latest issue of "The Upshot" email newsletter.. not by name, but the "story" is clearly only one man
I received that as well! May explain why certain players left in the last window!

The amusing side of this story is that, according to Chris Williams, it never happened. He told me so, in person. :ROFLMAO:

You have to congratulate the players involved for their sheer gall to this manager.

It's not surprising at all they got shipped out, I would get sacked if I did that to my boss!

But it also shows a lack of respect, which this manager had brought on themselves by their alleged conduct.

Hopefully this manager does not preach kindness, as that would be hypocritical!

Back
Top Bottom