Wales Vs Denmark

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
THIS IS WHAT GUNTER HAD TO SAY :-

Chris Gunter has slammed UEFA's organisation of Euro 2020 following Wales' tournament exit to Denmark.

The Red Dragons travelled 5,382 miles between Cardiff, Baku, Rome and Amsterdam while other nations such as Italy, England and Denmark were afforded to the opportunity to play matches on home soil.

In addition to the extra travel, Wales played all four of their tournament matches in front of a tiny portion of their own fans while their opponents Turkey, Italy and Denmark all had large numbers of supporters in attendance.

Speaking after the 4-0 defeat to Denmark, boss Rob Page admitted he was left bewildered by the fact Wales were being made to travel far more than most other competing nations.

"I don’t understand the format if I'm being completely honest," he said.

"We've travelled all around Europe and others haven’t. I'm not going to sit here and grumble about that. We'll take the defeat and we want to wish Denmark all the very best moving forward."

READ MORE:The scenes of devastation as Wales' Euro 2020 dreams end in brutal fashion

And Gunter has issued an emotional message on social media following Wales' exit from the Euros.

"So the journey of this month has come to an end," he wrote on his official Instagram account.

"We did not deserve that scoreline but who said life was fair.

"It hurts like mad, but to be hurting with some of my best mates and best muckas I’ve shared a changing room with for years on years makes it a little easier. And to share it with a nation who all feel the same makes it even easier.

"Written off before a bag of air was kicked, 3,000 miles from home. Every nation had fans wherever they went, apart from the 350 who broke government rules and bank accounts to be there, you and us deserved more from this joke set up of a tournament, but who said life was fair.

"Have a cry, but then smile that we were dining at the top table yet again. And smile even more that we’ll be back, and we’ll be the ones with the full stadium belting out our anthem that we all deserve.

Get involved with our Wales football coverage​

Calling all Wales football fans, we want your views!
You can become even more involved with WalesOnline's Wales football coverage by signing up to leave comments on stories, delivering your verdict, discussing the biggest breaking news, Euros analysis and also chatting to our journalists.
Click here to get started.
"This country is in safe hands with the squad we have believe me, I’d go to the trenches with every member of this team and staff.

"Be sad, but be proud, there’s only 3 million of us, but we are the f****** lucky ones, and don’t you know it.

"Suck it up, keep your chin up, we’ll be alright, trust me on that. Genuinely thank you for all the support and love.

"See you soon. Gunts."

The format is, and always has been, a massive cock up. Terrible idea, believe it was a Platini thing wasn't it?

It was. Some sort of 60th anniversary of the Euros. The Euros really became a proper competition in 1980 when eight teams made the finals so what the celebration is for I don’t really know.

It was a stupid idea even before a global pandemic. It got even stupider to continue with the format even when it was kicked on one year. Baku got a game essentially for sponsoring the bejesus out of Euro 2016 despite being 3000km from the next closest stadium in Bucharest.

We’re back to one nation hosting it in Germany in 2024. Make it 16 teams again and all will be well in the world.

The format is, and always has been, a massive cock up. Terrible idea, believe it was a Platini thing wasn't it?
In a way I think it is a positive thing that more countries and fans get to see games. Countries that wouldn't necessarily get to hold a tournament get the chance to host games. Where I think they went wrong is by spreading the group games out. Each group should have been located in one country rather than some teams having to travel all over the place like Wales and some like England and Spain not having to travel at all.

• React
Reactions: QR
In a way I think it is a positive thing that more countries and fans get to see games. Countries that wouldn't necessarily get to hold a tournament get the chance to host games. Where I think they went wrong is by spreading the group games out. Each group should have been located in one country rather than some teams having to travel all over the place like Wales and some like England and Spain not having to travel at all.
I've no problem if, say, 3 small countries close together who wouldn't be able to host a tournament did so, but not like this.

Wales,Scotland & N Ireland for example? ;)

As it stands, there is only one bid from UEFA nations for the 2030 World Cup and that’s from the four nations of the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Bearing in mind it’ll be 48 teams by that point, these multi nation bids will become far more commonplace.

As it stands, there is only one bid from UEFA nations for the 2030 World Cup and that’s from the four nations of the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Bearing in mind it’ll be 48 teams by that point, these multi nation bids will become far more commonplace.
As the host nation get a bye to the finals, then what would happen in this case?

As the host nation get a bye to the finals, then what would happen in this case?

Well, current rules would see them all qualify. Both Japan and South Korea did when they were co hosts. It’s the only instance of it occurring for a World Cup.

With 48 teams, who would notice a few s**t teams being there anyway.

Well, current rules would see them all qualify. Both Japan and South Korea did when they were co hosts. It’s the only instance of it occurring for a World Cup.

With 48 teams, who would notice a few s**t teams being there anyway.
Euro 2000 had 2 hosts as well, Belgium and The Netherlands with both qualified automatically.

Despite all of Wales protestations about the amount of travelling they were forced to do during these finals, Switzerland have actually travelled further!
And are still in it.

Back
Top Bottom