WWC 19: England V USA 2/7/19

Gutted, but beaten by a fitter team, sloppy passing, 2 headers that Bardsley would probably have saved, but typical England in the end.

Its been good watching this team and hope they get 3rd place, I'll try and find a pub in Glasgow to watch it.

Prior to Neville’s appointment we also reached two semi-finals in major tournaments - and that was before millions was pumped into the game and players were full-time, so don't think crow has to be eaten unless we win the tournament.

Bit confused by what you mean by "and the women's game" though? In what sense? ?
Because there were plenty of people postulating that Neville wouldn't understand the women's game, didn't have enough experience, the appointment process was wrong/biased/etc and that he wasn't the right person for the job. The mood music about the appointment was negative.

While I've seen little of this tournament, the feeling I get is England are a better and more rounded team than before, removed from the eccentricities of the last 2 managers and have made a step forward, even if the end result is not different. It's unfortunate they had to play the USA in the Semis, and if they did not, the final was there for them wasn't it?

These incredibly lengthy VAR reviews completely destroy the instant euphoric high (or low) of a marginal goal or penalty decision.

The negatives of VAR far out way the positives in my view. Feel sorry for the fans in the stadium. TV companies appear to love it.

It all feels so familiar. So depressingly familiar. Football is a cruel sport that brings many more lows than highs.
We all dare to dream of glory but more often than not, it all ends in abject disappointment.

These toe offsides are a bit of a joke
How about they give offside if over 25%of the players body is offside instead of half a toe making it offside?if they are using VAR.I cant stand it when goals are ruled out by the smallest of margins that no linesman in the world would ever have spotted.Takes away all the excitement of the goal being scored from the most minimal of margins.

I honestly think offside needs to be rewritten to account for the spirit of its intent which was to prevent a striker gaining an unfair advantage over a defender. A centimeter is not that.

I’d suggest clear space between the furthest part back of the striker (eg heel) and furthest part forward of the defender (eg toe)

How about they give offside if over 25%of the players body is offside instead of half a toe making it offside?if they are using VAR.I cant stand it when goals are ruled out by the smallest of margins that no linesman in the world would ever have spotted.Takes away all the excitement of the goal being scored from the most minimal of margins.
You'd just get the same argument in a different form, "You were offside, no goal." "No, I was only 20% offside so it should stand."
Although it would ALSO generate the same debates I think I favour the 'if any part of your body is onside then you are onside' approach - like a batsman being in his crease.
I do agree that VAR sucks much of the immediacy out of the excitement though.
Edit - and I'd also make it the teams responsibility to ask for a VAR replay as in cricket or tennis. Just one per match that you lose if you are wrong and can reuse again if you are right.

You'd just get the same argument in a different form, "You were offside, no goal." "No, I was only 20% offside so it should stand."
Although it would ALSO generate the same debates I think I favour the 'if any part of your body is onside then you are onside' approach - like a batsman being in his crease.
I do agree that VAR sucks much of the immediacy out of the excitement though.
Edit - and I'd also make it the teams responsibility to ask for a VAR replay as in cricket or tennis. Just one per match that you lose if you are wrong and can reuse again if you are right.
I agree that I would change it and any part of the body is onside then it is onside. Encourage the attacker. And if it isnt clear from the first couple of viewings as then give the goal.

I honestly think offside needs to be rewritten to account for the spirit of its intent which was to prevent a striker gaining an unfair advantage over a defender. A centimeter is not that.

I’d suggest clear space between the furthest part back of the striker (eg heel) and furthest part forward of the defender (eg toe)
Agree but if we are looking at the spirit of the game then the handball in the area needs to be looked at.
There was never the intention that blasting the ball at s defenders hand from a few feet (that could be going well over the crossbar) is a penalty. Intentional and goalscoring opportunity are surely relevant?

day after the night before... reflecting on what has been an excellent world cup finals for the lionesses ( still have the 3rd place consolation playoff - Saturday- to play)... shame they had to play the yankesses in the semi final, England V USA wouldve been a great final..... , in the end it was a shame, that the Lionesses were so near yet so var

That wouldn't work for offside where VAR isn't available. Assistant Refs have it tough already, this would make it impossible. This could only be done if you had a different offside laws for VAR games and non VAR games.

These incredibly lengthy VAR reviews completely destroy the instant euphoric high (or low) of a marginal goal or penalty decision.

The negatives of VAR far out way the positives in my view. Feel sorry for the fans in the stadium. TV companies appear to love it.
have to agree. would hope as it’s used more the process will speed up a bit and the ridiculously long wait for decisions will stop. guess any new technology takes time to work properly.
i’ve got no problem with goal line tech. but really not a fan of var

That wouldn't work for offside where VAR isn't available. Assistant Refs have it tough already, this would make it impossible. This could only be done if you had a different offside laws for VAR games and non VAR games.
Yep,as I said, only in VAR matches could you do a 25% check.The main point is though, that goals get disallowed for offside when basically the whole forward players body is onside apart from the players toe!

Back
Top Bottom