General Yesteryear

ON THIS DAY :

May 12th 1984

United beat Rotherham United 3-2 at the Manor and are crowned third division champions.

DQO6MFgW4AIIVq2

ON THIS DAY :

May 12th 1984

United beat Rotherham United 3-2 at the Manor and are crowned third division champions.

DQO6MFgW4AIIVq2
What's that trophy? I thought the Cannon League trophies at the time were like this...

SmartSelect_20210512-110707_Chrome.jpg

Did they not change until the following season? Definitely changed when we won Div 2...

SmartSelect_20210512-111007_Chrome.jpg

Edit: Just found this picture of Shotts lifting the trophy on the Oxford Mail site after the Rotherham game, so the Canon Trophy was in use...

1620814635832.png

Last edited:
What's that trophy? I thought the Cannon League trophies at the time were like this...

View attachment 6310

Did they not change until the following season? Definitely changed when we won Div 2...

View attachment 6311

Edit: Just found this picture of Shotts lifting the trophy on the Oxford Mail site after the Rotherham game, so the Canon Trophy was in use...

View attachment 6312

They were so proud of winning the pre-season Oxfordshire Benevolent Cup* that they had to show it off.

*It was called this or something similar, picked for one of our pre-season friendlies and I remember the Trophy size being overly large.

They were so proud of winning the pre-season Oxfordshire Benevolent Cup* that they had to show it off.

*It was called this or something similar, picked for one of our pre-season friendlies and I remember the Trophy size being overly large.
I did wonder if it was the Benevolent Cup, but thought it was bigger than that. You are probably right though. Looks like we won it with only 10 men as well... 😁

I did wonder if it was the Benevolent Cup, but thought it was bigger than that. You are probably right though. Looks like we won it with only 10 men as well... 😁

Had to make it competitive at least.

It may be the Benevolent Cup! Based on this photo but not that clear so could be wrong:

Glad they mentioned the size of the Cup as well.

Had to make it competitive at least.

It may be the Benevolent Cup! Based on this photo but not that clear so could be wrong:

Glad they mentioned the size of the Cup as well.
What a great article 😁

...although THIS is a trophy, no idea what we won to claim this beast however...

1620825462889.png

Perhaps one of our more senior members was there and remembers this success? @Sarge ? ;)

Back
Top Bottom