General Yesteryear

Anyone else at that game? šŸ˜€šŸ˜‡

my favorite ever England away day that one

For some reason, I can vividly remember being at the Kasstad that day, and watching us beat Rushden & Diamonds 3-2.
Believe Dean Whitehead scored his first ever Oxford goal that day, and we all thought that Mark Wright might turn out to be a good manager (the next couple of month put paid to that).

Then down the Wheatsheaf for the Massacre in Munich!

That was the day we actually arrived in the big time for me. Wonder if Liverpool still have the crystal ball we gave to teams commemorating their first game at The Manor in the top flight...
I think thats Gary Briggs and Ronnie Whelan. Jan Molby normally carried a lot more weight

That was the day we actually arrived in the big time for me. Wonder if Liverpool still have the crystal ball we gave to teams commemorating their first game at The Manor in the top flight...
ON THIS DAY :

September 14th 1985

Debutant Ray Houghton in action for Oxford versus Liverpool where the game finished 2-2

Eh3HOe1XgAA1Xil

Gary Briggs and Jan Molby

E_OFt8kXIAMmRDX

EzNIcTvVoAAYKTW
That was my first home game that season, the ground had changed so much with all new fences etc.
if I remember correctly Alan Kennedy scored an own goal with 3 or 4 minutes to go right in front of the London Road end where I was stood right behind the goal, GREAT MEMORIES.....!

For some reason, I can vividly remember being at the Kasstad that day, and watching us beat Rushden & Diamonds 3-2.
Believe Dean Whitehead scored his first ever Oxford goal that day, and we all thought that Mark Wright might turn out to be a good manager (the next couple of month put paid to that).

Then down the Wheatsheaf for the Massacre in Munich!
Research & Development were a bit of a bogey team if I recall as well

Research & Development were a bit of a bogey team if I recall as well

Iirc we beat them at their place 2-0 and we only had 2 shots on target but they must have 20 odd with at least 4 cleared off the line (3 by Matty Bound including an overhead kick).

Edit: The 2 Daves', Savage and Oldfield scored for us. I also remember a Rubbish and Dustbins fan near us on the side going absolute nuts and getting the pee taken out of him by the Oxford fans in the Airwear Stand.

Last edited:
Iirc we beat them at their place 2-0 and we only had 2 shots on target but they must have 20 odd with at least 4 cleared off the line (3 by Matty Bound including an overhead kick).

Edit: The 2 Daves', Savage and Oldfield scored for us. I also remember a Rubbish and Dustbins fan near us on the side going absolute nuts and getting the pee taken out of him by the Oxford fans in the Airwear Stand.
Poor chap doesnā€™t have a team to follow now!

Thatā€™s so sad although I remember frustrated at the time that they were edging us out on what seemed an imaginary budget

Thatā€™s so sad although I remember frustrated at the time that they were edging us out on what seemed an imaginary budget
I seem to remember that Max Griggs, who's family owned Dr Martens, actually came up with the idea of merging Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds and pledged to finance the new venture, including what turned out to be a decent stadium. At that time Dr Martens were having one of their periodic booms and business was good. I'm sure he handed the club, including the stadium and some cash, over to a fan's group sometime around 2005. I think Dr Martens ended up being owned by venture capitalists who picked it up for a relative song.

I seem to remember that Max Griggs, who's family owned Dr Martens, actually came up with the idea of merging Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds and pledged to finance the new venture, including what turned out to be a decent stadium. At that time Dr Martens were having one of their periodic booms and business was good. I'm sure he handed the club, including the stadium and some cash, over to a fan's group sometime around 2005. I think Dr Martens ended up being owned by venture capitalists who picked it up for a relative song.

Correct, they went skint in 2011 or so owing HMRC Ā£750k at least. Fan ownership eh?
AFC R&D now play in the Southern League Premier Central....

Think that was my one and only trip to Nene Park - vague memories that Oldfield's goal was an absolute worldy?

Nene Park ... the 5-0 drubbing in 2007 when poor old JS must have had one of his worst moments in managing us (the give us a wave thing).

But, a better visit in 2010 for the play off first leg.

• React
Reactions: m
What happened to that nice stadium?
After Rushden went under, Kettering Town played there for a period.

Both Nene Park and Rockingham Road have been dismantled for housing. A real shame, Rockingham Road was a fantastic atmosphere on the Tuesday night game there, a lovely old school ground. Nene Park had that fabulous away end which put our East Stand to shame.

Read an article recently pointing out that the EFL has lost many clubs with decent fan bases like Notts Co. Chesterfield, Stockport County anf Grimsby, to be replaced by FGR, Sutton, Harrogate and Salford. Cliubs who can barely muster 2K crowds. Most likely Bromley and Boreham Wood have promotion ambitions.

The writer points out all of this may lead to a reduction in average attendances in the future. A worrying trend

Back
Top Bottom