Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2022 L1: Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sykes is wasted at the back. Always miss CB we were unlucky to lose I thought. Typically the highlights didnt show the offside penalty situation.
I thought that regarding the offside/penalty. On EFL on Quest they showed it and all three said no offside definitely a penalty and probable sending off but sadly another big match where key decisions didn’t go our way. We need to take chances more also.

I thought that regarding the offside/penalty. On EFL on Quest they showed it and all three said no offside definitely a penalty and probable sending off but sadly another big match where key decisions didn’t go our way. We need to take chances more also.
Wrong decisions probably even themselves out over a season. I think we had a few go our way against Ipswich!

The Crewe shot that hit the bar and looked like it went over the line before bouncing back out is probably an example.
Thinking about the Ipswich game as quoted tbh but not quite as obvious a mistake the possible Crewe over the line I don't think.

On the fitness thing in this data driven world our fitness coach recently did a presentation. To senior fans where he claimed our running stats are ahead of even Leeds who were renowned for running further than any other Prem team.

Which is impressive. Camara leads the way on that stat.

Re the offside etc etc I always apply the if it happened the other way what would I want

I would have wanted a pen a red and a one nil lead We got lucky there but I can see how the linesman got it wrong based on the movement of the players.

If it is any consolation it makes up for the outside of the box pen that cost is two points at Lincoln.

Too soon?

On the fitness thing in this data driven world our fitness coach recently did a presentation. To senior fans where he claimed our running stats are ahead of even Leeds who were renowned for running further than any other Prem team.

Which is impressive. Camara leads the way on that stat.
Taken in isolation I'm not sure that is a very useful statistic. Let the ball do the work, I'm sure Man City run less than Leeds due to the fact they aren't chasing the ball all of the time. I'm sure that it was part of a wider assessment on fitness, would be interesting to know any other metrics that were tracked.

Taken in isolation I'm not sure that is a very useful statistic. Let the ball do the work, I'm sure Man City run less than Leeds due to the fact they aren't chasing the ball all of the time. I'm sure that it was part of a wider assessment on fitness, would be interesting to know any other metrics that were tracked.
Supporting a team in Germany punching above their weight in the Bundesliga (Union), I can say that in almost every game this and last season, we have outrun the opposition when we have got a result, and have been outrun OR the total amount run is significantly lower when we have been beaten. So there is definitely merit in the old Laufleistung!

Wrong decisions probably even themselves out over a season. I think we had a few go our way against Ipswich!
Yes but all the top clubs seem to get the decisions against us when they are at home. Sunderland every time is a good example. These are the decisions that make or break a season.

Supporting a team in Germany punching above their weight in the Bundesliga (Union), I can say that in almost every game this and last season, we have outrun the opposition when we have got a result, and have been outrun OR the total amount run is significantly lower when we have been beaten. So there is definitely merit in the old Laufleistung!
Interesting. Is this based on figures, or just the impression you get whilst watching? I've tried to do a bit of research in my short tea break, found this link from a couple of seasons back...

...which is mostly with regards to individual players (and reveals the "shocking" revelation that midfielders run the most 🤦‍♂️ ), but it does have a bit on team totals which does suggest that distance covered doesn't equate with points earned...

1649062679656.png

I think the boys were excellent and fair paly to Karl

To go to Plymouth (this year) and to have probably everyone in the home end praying for a point at half time demonstrates this effort.

I think the offside decision and then the goal did knock the wind out our sails. We came crashing back down to earth and they got in the game.

I was gutted but I was devastated for the players and manager.

Let's keep the faith, bring on Tuesday! COYY!!!

Interesting. Is this based on figures, or just the impression you get whilst watching? I've tried to do a bit of research in my short tea break, found this link from a couple of seasons back...

...which is mostly with regards to individual players (and reveals the "shocking" revelation that midfielders run the most 🤦‍♂️ ), but it does have a bit on team totals which does suggest that distance covered doesn't equate with points earned...

View attachment 8578
One of our WhatsApp group is a fan of the distance covered stats (quite literally become a running joke) but when we play bad, we are being outrun in the vast majority of cases.

Half of our team were apparently running on fumes in the second half. A big reason why we lost. Not so great considering this was our first game for a fortnight.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the level of Covid we’ve had in the camp over the season is something to do with this.

Brannagan’s level of general fitness appears to be double that of McGuane. It would be interesting to see the stats but guess there are confidentiality issues.

Fingers crossed CamBran and Moore start tomorrow night.

Brilliant day ruined by the football - Felt like watching a pre / early stages Appleton side for the large parts of that, no real game plan or clue what we were doing second half easiest game they will win all season, pretty similar to Wycombe away. Must win tomorrow.

Re the offside etc etc I always apply the if it happened the other way what would I want

I would have wanted a pen a red and a one nil lead We got lucky there but I can see how the linesman got it wrong based on the movement of the players.

If it is any consolation it makes up for the outside of the box pen that cost is two points at Lincoln.

Too soon?
The Lincoln pen cost you 2 points. The Plymouth non pen could cost us a place in the play off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom