Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2022 L1: Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't go but listened on RO and this amazes me.
From what I heard/ read, we had a definite penalty turned down and their keeper made 2 excellent saves all at 0 0.
They had 1 shot on target in the whole game.

They have had a number of 3 0 and 4 0/ 4 1 wins this season, so was that a serious post or a bit of a wind up ( or do you think it would have been an easier game than 4 0 v Accrington, 3 0 v Bolton and many more?)
Apart from the first 10-15 mins I felt they were on top. The Bodin shot looked like it was going into the side netting, but could be wrong. The Taylor one was a half chance, but always looked like it wasn’t going to trouble their goal. The best chance obviously fell to Whyte, their keeper’s made a fantastic save.

It was more the manner in which they looked fitter, more agile, quicker and seemed to open us up with ease that was more worrying for me.

They just seemed to lack the physicality that say Blackpool had last season, but technically they looked good and seemed together, whereas, we seemed disjointed.

Thought their right back (no.8) who scored the goal reminded me a bit of George Baldock e.g. looked good on the ball and flowed down the right etc. And their overall pace scared us.

Again, I think we’ve got a squad with too many senior players who are carrying injuries e.g. Winnall, Henry, McGuane or players who I think are generally too slow
e.g. Brown, Bodin, Kane etc. That’s a lot of slow/laboured players in a team. Yes, they may be technically good, but they’ve got to get the ball first and they need to move it fast.

Apart from the first 10-15 mins I felt they were on top. The Bodin shot looked like it was going into the side netting, but could be wrong. The Taylor one was a half chance, but always looked like it wasn’t going to trouble their goal. The best chance obviously fell to Whyte, their keeper’s made a fantastic save.

It was more the manner in which they looked fitter, more agile, quicker and seemed to open us up with ease that was more worrying for me.

They just seemed to lack the physicality that say Blackpool had last season, but technically they looked good and seemed together, whereas, we seemed disjointed.

Thought their right back (no.8) who scored the goal reminded me a bit of George Baldock e.g. looked good on the ball and flowed down the right etc. And their overall pace scared us.

Again, I think we’ve got a squad with too many senior players who are carrying injuries e.g. Winnall, Henry, McGuane or players who I think are generally too slow
e.g. Brown, Bodin, Kane etc. That’s a lot of slow/laboured players in a team. Yes, they may be technically good, but they’ve got to get the ball first and they need to move it fast.
I know we all can see things differently but i have no recollection of their pace frightening us...as i've said elsewhere for me they were more workmanlike took their goal well but we didn't convert our chances.

Agree, MM is this seasons target for all criticism for some reason.
You can’t expect someone to prove themselves as a worthy replacement for the leagues best central midfielder in one game when they’ve been on the bench all season because of that midfielder, judging their match fitness and stamina after a season of 15-minute cameos.
Some players seem to be untouchable when it comes to criticism so the same old people get it every game.
I thought it was Seddon

I know we all can see things differently but i have no recollection of their pace frightening us...as i've said elsewhere for me they were more workmanlike took their goal well but we didn't convert our chances.
Crikey, there were a number of times their pace was breaking through our lines. There was one time I remember Sykes looking like he was treading water trying to catch one of their players who was actually on the ball as well and he got nowhere near him, so as Sykes tends to be one of our more mobile players then that was concerning to me.

Ps. Forgot to add Seddon to those slow list of players! Could also add Mous to the list too e.g. injured/slow, but expected! Just think again it’s too many players to have, especially when you get to a threadbare team like we had Saturday, oh and Hanson!

Last edited:
There is also a tunnel cam. On YouTube. Have to say Argyle players look happy. But hardly over exuberant

Par for the course after a defeat, it's rarely constructive criticism. Sykes, Long,Eastwood, Seddon to name just 4 that have been placed on the naughty spot at various times through the season

Let's be honest here we have a decent squad, often acknowledged but that even comes into question (the depth of) after we fail to win a game of football.
But the difference with Seddon is that he has, in certain games, played terribly, given away goals etc, been massively at fault, and then (naturally) been criticised on here.

Whereas with McGuane it feels like he’s held to a higher standard. If he plays exactly the same as everyone else in the team, he’s called not good enough while others aren’t mentioned. If he plays quite well, say a 7/10 but then fades, all that is mentioned is that he faded away. It feels like unless he is MOTM then it’s not good enough, but (as another poster mentioned) a different player could have a game at exactly the same performance level and not even be discussed.

I have no problem with any player being criticised after a poor performance, but it’s strange that we don’t hold every player to the same standards. If Brannagan has an awful game it’s fine to say he didn’t play well that game, if Seddon comes in and is MOTM then say it. McGuane was as good as anyone in the team first half against Plymouth, apart from Kane, and was unarguably at least a 7/10. Second half he faded, as did multiple Oxford players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom