Home Match Day Thread 05/04/2021 L1 OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel you are quite inpatient, as SM said it was a good few years before Ferguson started to get things right, it's not just the players it's the whole ethos of the team.

Who do you think should replace KR?
Ferguson is one example. My job is to keep Youth Offenders in order and educated, not employ the next Oxford United manager.

It is all guesswork any season then, we got to the Play Off final whether it fits your argument or not. That is an achievement, our highest League finish in a long, long time. You've also ignored our Cup runs. It means your argument should be taken with a shedful of salt.

You mean got to the play off final on penalties and then bottled it in the final like we did the 2 previous Mickley mouse trophy finals. Only last season was guesswork as it didn't commence to a finish. At the moment Appleton has more on his CV from his time in charge of us then Robbo does.

The longer McGuane has been away, the better player he seems to have been. Don’t really remember him being that influential. Our opponents all seem to have players with drive and determination that ours don’t
You don’t remember him being MOTM?

Can you tell me a recent time when another of our central midfielders was clearly the best player on the pitch?

Last edited:
Apparently Nick Harris has said.. "it's all over". He's right. It was all over after the Northampton match. So - as many people on here are saying, build for next year NOW, try some of our youngsters and get new faces in straight away in the summer. Offload Grayson, Kelly, Sykes, Winnall and a couple of others and maybe next season will go differently.

When people are saying we are a mid table team, maybe what they mean is that we are where we are because of KR and that if someone new was in charge we would be more than a mid table team. We don't know what the expectations of the Board are, but I somehow suspect its more than mid table. As far as I can see, the Board have supported KR and I imagine they will have expected more than a mid table finish. Whether or not KR is the best person to take us forward is up to the Board, but as far as I concerned, we have stagnated on the pitch and some fresh ideas are desperately needed.
Season hasn’t finished yet.

You mean got to the play off final on penalties and then bottled it in the final like we did the 2 previous Mickley mouse trophy finals. Only last season was guesswork as it didn't commence to a finish. At the moment Appleton has more on his CV from his time in charge of us then Robbo does.
The 2 trophy finals bottled were under Appleton?

So he got us through the Play Off Semi-finals and into the Play Off Final. Therefore, an achievement as it wasn't done on the toss of a coin. Those points and wins like hammering Lincoln away must have been a mirage or winning those 5 in a row that you have just dismissed. It is so easy according to your description to get into the Play Offs with 1 goal and a bit of luck I'm amazed all the clubs don't do it every year and what a failure MApp must have been not to have got us into them when here.

How exactly is KR at fault for 2 Tinpot Trophy defeats at Wembley when MApp was the manager? You're doing a cracking job of undermining your own argument with that.

It was our highest finish in many, many years and higher than MApp managed for us.

Last edited:
The 2 trophy finals bottled were under Appleton?

Yes I know they were, what I'm saying is the play off final loss goes down in history exactly the same as losing the Mickey mouse cup. On paper Karl hasn't done anything in 3 years except establish us a mid table team which we were when he took over.

Yes I know they were, what I'm saying is the play off final loss goes down in history exactly the same as losing the Mickey mouse cup. On paper Karl hasn't done anything in 3 years except establish us a mid table team which we were when he took over.
What has the Everton manager done? He’s just kept them wherever they are in the TV league, big deal. Or the Southampton one? Few managers achieve great success but many fail. Robinson is as you say between those extremes.

What has the Everton manager done? He’s just kept them wherever they are in the TV league, big deal. Or the Southampton one? Few managers achieve great success but many fail. Robinson is as you say between those extremes.

Difference is, both Everton's and Southampton's managers have achieved what the Board's ambition is which is to stay in the TV league. Karl hasn't achieved the play offs which was the Board's goal this season. Karl will probably be alright while Tiger is at the helm but I can't say the same if the consortium take control.

Difference is, both Everton's and Southampton's managers have achieved what the Board's ambition is which is to stay in the TV league. Karl hasn't achieved the play offs which was the Board's goal this season. Karl will probably be alright while Tiger is at the helm but I can't say the same if the consortium take control.

So you are saying he hasn't achieved through not making the play offs this year but didn't achieve last year when he made the play offs? Just a tad contradictory.

The consortium if the reports in the media are true are pretty much the same people as now.

Well, we dont know what target he was really given in private. From accounts here he wasnt given a top six budget, so any finish in that area would be an overachievement when competing with much bigger clubs. No excuse for today’s failure however.

But we hadn’t been at the level for years.

As I said, first one that came to mind. It's not the norm, but then clubs are too quick to change managers these days.
Herbert Chapman was appointed by The Arsenal in 1925 and didn't deliver his first silverware until FIVE years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom