Home Match Day Thread 05/04/2021 L1 OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herbert Chapman was appointed by The Arsenal in 1925 and didn't deliver his first silverware until FIVE years later.

Could probably still do a job for us in midfield too.

Managers should be sacked for under achievement, not for broadly achieving what is expected. Bottom 6 then yes sack KR, mid table not great but not worthy of the sack. The stadium issue paying massive rent really impacts the playing budget.

Agree.

I was more referring more to the board/ownership situation rather than the managerial situation.

Until we have the stadium situation resolved we are unlikely to be able to progress with any proper foundations to build on, irrespective of who is manager.

Whilst the season has fizzled out as a disappointing whimper, I don’t think KR is worthy of the sack.

For all those saying KR has achieved nothing, it is probably worth remembering that, in the boards eyes at least, he has achieved an awful lot. The Holy Grail of a club turning a profit at this level will quite probably be or greater significance for the clubs medium term future in the scheme of things.
From that point of view, this is possibly more significant than any on field form or progress and partially explains his 4 year contract (that and him being front of house for the club during the continued enforced absence of virtually anyone else with any control of the club).

I have no doubt that will be an anathema to the vast majority of fans (of all ages and levels of eliteness) who just want to see a winning, successful side pushing at the top end of the table for promotion. But maybe with bigger fish to fry and bigger investors to woo, a stable vehicle that doesn't become a financial liability and enables you to unlock significant development potential in leisure and retail in one of the most attractive and affluent parts of the UK, is exactly what those would-be investors wanted to see? A club that won't become an unnecessary burden/distraction while the other game is in play.

As frustrating as this season has been and as inexplicable as some of our performances and KRs tactical decisions are, I suspect that it is pretty insignificant in the greater scheme of things. It is made all the more inexplicable by the glimpses of what might be, only for our paper thin and unbalanced squad with injuries across the season to key players only exacerbating the obvious weaknesses. But no matter...the board have a manager who can find a few nuggets, turn a profit, blow sufficient amounts of smoke up the right ar$es and show that he loves and lives and breathes League 1 football. Throw in the reality of an absentee board(either by default or by design for the majority) and what else could they possibly want at this time???

And for those who think that will all change when the "big boys" come on board/take over ...sorry, seen it all before...been around that block too many times and the hope that "real" money potentially being pumped in by the "mega millions" (anyone remember Kassam using that turn of phrase?) is to achieve anything other than property development goals is no more than a hope.

So we have a mid table League 1 team who turn a small profit (in normal times), occasionally play some good, almost mouth-watering, football but more often than not flatter to deceive. What else could any investor wishing to stay rich and make serious money on the real potential that Oxford offers actually want?

I don't think we recovered from the loss of mcguane. We have had problems in midfield all season. Sadly signing players on loan that can't warrant a start when we are in rubbish form is a failure by KR. Grayson and Kelly are just not worth the salary. I am not a doom and gloom person normally but yesterday was frankly appalling. We were overrun in midfield so under pressure all across the park. Our defence can not continue to repel attacks when the outball just pings back. We couldn't hold the ball anywhere. Very frustrating

I've just had a look back at the squad from the last Accrington game. We won 4-1 away with:
- Clare at RB
- Kelly at CDM
- Agyei at LW
- McGuane on the bench

Shows how our comparatively stronger team can't work together

I've just had a look back at the squad from the last Accrington game. We won 4-1 away with:
- Clare at RB
- Kelly at CDM
- Agyei at LW
- McGuane on the bench

Shows how our comparatively stronger team can't work together
This game changed when they had a player sent off. Think we were 2 1 up but take your point about a team performance
Too many of our players look like they can be fantastic on their day but don’t perform well as a team.

Player ratings.

Stevens 6
Long 6
Moore 6
Atkinson 5
Hanson 3
Brannagan 3
Henry 4
Lee 6
Shodipo 3
Taylor 5
Barker 7 MOTM.
How you can give Brannagan a 3 when he practically had to cover the whole midfield on his own is baffling. I know Lee scored and had a cute turn and missed but didnt do much else and Shodipo did quite a lot also.

The main problem is we dont appear to have a system. We have talented individuals who dont play as a team. Players with the ball dont have runners to give a pass to. When Barker or Shodipo have the ball everyone else seems to stop and just hope they are going to score a worldy. Its not lack of effort just lack of a plan I dont think the players understand what Robbo wants them to do if he knows himself! Maybe we are missing Faz

If Tiger wants or has to be a selling club, to keep the books balanced, then we're going nowhere; as losing the likes of Fossu and Baptiste screwed us up mid season and pissed KR off. As a result, we ended up losing out on promotion and spent ANOTHER another summer trying to land players who could repeat the formula - but it was not to be for various reasons. IF the new owners persist in this approach there will be no progress; however, should they decide to invest seriously and retain our good players, the minimum of a play off place is achievable next season. It will be very interesting to see which approach is followed as that will determine our fate and any progress.

Interesting to see Plymouth's manager (Ryan Lowe) giving his players a public rollicking after their performance (lost 3-0 at Shrewsbury).....would we rather KR did that than tippy toed his way through interviews? Or is that bad for morale for the players?

Sometimes I wish KR would stop avoiding the questions with his endless waffle and say what we've all seen....that yesterday Accy deserved to win and we weren't nearly good enough - he alluded to some things in his interview but most of it was tosh that he said.🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom