Away Match Day Thread 05/04/22 L1: Morecambe v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that because in some cases players had agreed to join us and then went elsewhere pretty much within hours of window closing?

Correct me if i'm wrong but was Thorniley not staying until pretty much last minute? (relatively speaking )

Whatever we all knew was needed, when he changed formation (often was accused he lacked) and we were getting results the likes of Sykes etc were getting thought of as having found a natural position for him. The only time it get's brought out with the washing is after losing a game along with a lot of over reaction stuff.

"That" Blackpool game keeps getting brought up at such times but again we've been sat top 6 most of the season and as our manager rightly stated, our opponents have had 3 shots in 2 games none of which would be spoken about had we taken our chances.
My point was we shouldn't be getting to the last day of a transfer window still needing to sign three/four players. Because if they do decide to go elsewhere, we don't have the time to find a replacement.

Interesting that I was making a more general point about the last few transfer windows and you seem to only mention the last one, trying to make it seem like this was an isolated occurrence.

My point was we shouldn't be getting to the last day of a transfer window still needing to sign three/four players. Because if they do decide to go elsewhere, we don't have the time to find a replacement.

Interesting that I was making a more general point about the last few transfer windows and you seem to only mention the last one, trying to make it seem like this was an isolated occurrence.
in real terms i am generalising but picking up your point highlighted, Players and especially their Agents do drag it out though and it therefore becomes a Domino effect. Player A is No 1 target he indicates he wants to sign, meanwhile his Agent contacts Bolton ipswich pompey and says Oxford have offered x. You are therefore waiting a decision. Meanwhile player B has indicated he would sign for say Sunderland so His Agent informs them Oxford will offer y and so it all snowballs.

Now you can have cut off dates for a decision which i believe Karl has done or tried to do but it doesn't stop the above and "can be" why it seems we're searching for players during the last few days.

Wasn't there a piece in one of the pre-match shows a month or so back that explained that the club doesn't just "go after" a player; transfer targets are identified many months prior and a whole dossier is compiled about then. They are effectively profiled to ensure they are a "fit" to what we want both on and off the pitch and only then would official enquiries be made about availability and fees. Pass those hurdles and you would talk with the player and co-relate that information back to the profile and then maybe start to talk terms with his agent and weed out any hidden requirements. Eventually, you may make a formal offer, which may be accepted in principal, documents drawn up and even after all that, the deal may not conclude.

It's no wonder that most of the transfers come to naught....
Having been involved (in a very limited way) with some fun stuff, the amount that goes into a transfer a is crazy.

It’s easy to pick out decent players, but recruiting the right player into what KR wants is the main challenge.

In the preview show Thomas talkers through the Smyth deal. He was flagged in data last year (evil spreadsheet wizards), Oxford went to watch him. He was flagged again in December 2021, Oxford went to watch him again and decided he had developed. They then put a package together before offering to Dungannon - sounds like a single offer, take it or leave it. Behind that will be references from those that have worked with Smyth, how he will fit in to the squad etc.

In isolation, the above doesn’t seem a huge deal. Do that across all positions, across the EFL/Ireland/Scotland and there is hours of work to find the best fit. To that end, from a data perspective, Thomas said we use our own, in house database with weightings on stats to KR’s preference for what he wants from each position.

I don’t know the full extent of the recruitment set up, but it *feels* like something we could/should lean into further. We’ve had a load of success with our player trading, however it looks to be Thomas/KR that handle deals?

Anyway, I think our recruitment is underrated. I can’t think of too many that have been a poor move. If players come in, there’s sound rationale behind it - we’ve fully moved on from Clotet bringing his mates in.

Having been involved (in a very limited way) with some fun stuff, the amount that goes into a transfer a is crazy.

It’s easy to pick out decent players, but recruiting the right player into what KR wants is the main challenge.

In the preview show Thomas talkers through the Smyth deal. He was flagged in data last year (evil spreadsheet wizards), Oxford went to watch him. He was flagged again in December 2021, Oxford went to watch him again and decided he had developed. They then put a package together before offering to Dungannon - sounds like a single offer, take it or leave it. Behind that will be references from those that have worked with Smyth, how he will fit in to the squad etc.

In isolation, the above doesn’t seem a huge deal. Do that across all positions, across the EFL/Ireland/Scotland and there is hours of work to find the best fit. To that end, from a data perspective, Thomas said we use our own, in house database with weightings on stats to KR’s preference for what he wants from each position.

I don’t know the full extent of the recruitment set up, but it *feels* like something we could/should lean into further. We’ve had a load of success with our player trading, however it looks to be Thomas/KR that handle deals?

Anyway, I think our recruitment is underrated. I can’t think of too many that have been a poor move. If players come in, there’s sound rationale behind it - we’ve fully moved on from Clotet bringing his mates in.
Yes the signings have generally been good - it's been the gaps we haven't filled that have been the problem, and I'd like to understand more about that.

Forget Pep. Between 2009-2011 the recruitment process was Mickey Lewis bringing a list of names to me so that I could print off all the stats that I could find about them online, plus whatever was in our subscription based scouting portal, and then Chris Williams leaning over trying to see the list and going, “Whatchu got there Birdio? Don’t be like that. Mickey tell him to show me. No he’s rubbish, oh no he’s rubbish too, he’s quite good though, oooh that’s a new one.” Then Chris Wilder would come through and ‘the other CW’ would ask him if he was finished with his big coat yet, because it had CW on the chest and he wanted it for himself, and Wilder would tell us who was likely to be ringing soon or who might turn up at reception. Sometimes Chris Williams would come back from Kelvin Thomas’ office with a list of names we were talking to (often after he had been bollocked for something he wasn’t involved in such as famine or an Ebola outbreak), which were based off Chris Wilder or Andy Melville having a ring round. If we were really lucky there might be a DVD sent in from an agent someone knew, and then Wilder and Lewis would sit and watch it while eating crisps and drinking beer out the mini fridge. Occasionally Chris Williams would disappear and come back half an hour later covered in crumbs and smelling of Becks, but I couldn’t possibly prove where he had been or what he had been doing. Then when someone eventually agreed to sign, the physio (‘Handsome’ Jon Brown) would give them a massage or something, slap them on the a**e when they hopped off the table and go, “Right then, big boy, I hope that was good for you too.” Then they would sign the contract and before you could say “Who is Lewis Chalmers and why didn’t we sign Charlie Austin when we had the chance?”, they were a professional footballer for Oxford United.

You can have your graphs, spreadsheets and data analysis suites. Where’s the heart?

Heck I’d read it. People are always curious about the insider stuff and my closest brush with ITK was seeing Dean Saunders coming out of Mothercare, and Ricardinho looking angry in the Coop.
You must live in Abingdon. My brother once saw him in the big Tesco there. I asked if he was doing keepy ups with an Orange. He said no. I asked if he was trying to get a picanha at the deli counter. He said no. I asked if he was buying waxing strips, because Brazilian. He didn’t reply.

This thread might officially have run its course now.

Although we got it wrong with Cooper, Lavery was your man.

You must live in Abingdon. My brother once saw him in the big Tesco there. I asked if he was doing keepy ups with an Orange. He said no. I asked if he was trying to get a picanha at the deli counter. He said no. I asked if he was buying waxing strips, because Brazilian. He didn’t reply.

This thread might officially have run its course now.
It was Rose Hill actually. I thought Ricardinho would be permanently smiling and happy, I was disappointed.

Just thank your lucky stars that he didn’t launch a double-footed challenge on your from two aisles away.
Ahmed Kashi would be more likely to do that. Then people would rush to defend him by saying he’s merely ‘committed’ and ‘a tremendous character’, even though you’re in a relegation battle and on the verge of not being able to afford the good baked beans anymore so it’s really not okay that he keeps going f*cking mental every week because it’s not helping anybody if he can’t even stay on the pitch for 90 minutes let alone be available for the next game and that doesn’t make you brave or a great laugh it just makes you a stupid idiot AND THAT IS WHY NOBODY WILL WANT YOU AFTER YOU’VE F*CKED OFF.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Ahmed Kashi would be more likely to do that. Then people would rush to defend him by saying he’s merely ‘committed’ and ‘a tremendous character’, even though you’re in a relegation battle and on the verge of not being able to afford the good baked beans anymore so it’s really not okay that he keeps going f*cking mental every week because it’s not helping anybody if he can’t even stay on the pitch for 90 minutes let alone be available for the next game and that doesn’t make you brave or a great laugh it just makes you a stupid idiot AND THAT IS WHY NOBODY WILL WANT YOU AFTER YOU’VE F*CKED OFF.

“Where’s Ahmed gone?”

“He’s in the card aisle, then he’s off.”

yes lazy did you watch it? tuesday was everything we haven't been doing all season in 90minutes! certain players out there already looked on there holiday if we had half of what morecambe put into that game we would of cruised it.
Totally spot on , we all said this at the time . We played like it was a pre season game .

That notwithstanding, an Ahmed Kashi might have been the difference between promotion and missing out on the playoffs this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom