Home Match Day Thread +++ 06/01/2018 OUFC v Blackpool match day thread +++

Thoughts on Blackpool game.
They were so much better than us.
Our passing and shape were all over the place at times.
How Eastward wasn’t MOTM I don’t know.
We scored they didn’t, we’ll play much better and lose, move on :)

How we don't score from that counter attack in the first half is incredible. Yes Gino seems to make the opposition a bit nervous, but how a professional footballer doesn't square the ball there, is beyond me. I would think most under 8 strike partnerships would score from that scenario.

Looks like we didn't deserve it, but a great win, and a good set piece goal to boot. It's good that Big John is in the goals. I think that with a bit of confidence, he'll thrive. If he was flanked by a couple of decent wingers (in the MJ mould), then I think with his touch, he could score many a goal.

How we don't score from that counter attack in the first half is incredible. Yes Gino seems to make the opposition a bit nervous, but how a professional footballer doesn't square the ball there, is beyond me. I would think most under 8 strike partnerships would score from that scenario.

Looks like we didn't deserve it, but a great win, and a good set piece goal to boot. It's good that Big John is in the goals. I think that with a bit of confidence, he'll thrive. If he was flanked by a couple of decent wingers (in the MJ mould), then I think with his touch, he could score many a goal.
I actually think Wes went to fast and would have been offside had he squared it. Even so he had so long to chip or place it past the keeper.

Am I alone in thinking Obika DOESN’T have a good first touch? I do think he is a physical presence though. And I agree he’s a confidence player.

Am I alone in thinking Obika DOESN’T have a good first touch? I do think he is a physical presence though. And I agree he’s a confidence player.

No, you're not alone. I think his first touch is poor, and he often gets the ball caught under his feet.

Also, is it obligatory that he has to do that little roll over trick at least once a game?

Haha, he does like that rolling his foot over the ball thing, and yeah, if he can’t get his body over the ball his first touch isn’t great, but, every time he scores I can see the scum suckers up the road squirming, even better when it’s the winner. That makes his goals all the better.

Couple of things I want to mention after yesterday's game and then getting a clearer view from extended highlights. As you don't see everything clearly from east stand.

1. These poor performances are more to do with other teams running a three man midfield against our two man midfield. We're not able to grab hold of the game because the midfield is over run. A lot of teams run the 433 in this league so for us to be grinding results when being out played and dominated because our midfielders are not getting into the game, proves there is quality in this team and Im sure when a 2 man midfield is put up against us we'll do well and it will be a better game.

2. Aaron Martin, finally starting to look like a decent defender. Is this because he has had a decent run in the team and confidence is high or is this a blip and he'll be back to the player we saw at Northampton game. He was brilliant yesterday in my opinion, made the odd mistake but made up for it! read the game quite well and made some good decisions. When we were on the back foot his no noncense defending was brilliant to see and slowed Blackpool down. Refreshing to see when it is usually him and Mousinho try the slow build up passes from the back. Great persistence also to when he made the mistake on stopping Eastwood from picking up and easy ball and knocking it into the 8 for what looked an easy finish he made the block.

3.Mowatt is definitely a confidence player after putting a quality ball in for Obika, which mowatt made easy to score because of the pace and accuracy on the delivery . He went onto to have one of his better spells as a Oxford player and was looking to get involved.

4. Strikers, is it possibly good that they were all trying to shoot? Showing they all have confidence in there ability. However there is a line to be drawn in when you should make a pass or take the shot. Gvk should've passed to Thomas, and I think that set the tempo for the strikers game. After that it looked like they all wanted to do it alone.

5. Eastwood is simply brilliant can't say much that hasn't been said already. The man won us that game with some world class saves.

Ok, it's cliche time, folks.
It's a funny old game. It's a game of two halves. I'm as sick as a parrot. We mullered 'em. They ran rings round us. You're s**t......aaarrr! We hate Swindon. You can use all the footballing terms that have flown around since the first time we knew that Scumdon are a bunch of wankers. The fact is (Cliche alert!)..............it's a results game. Sparky at Stoke will tell you that. We won. In fact, two on the trot. The last time the word 'trot' appeared in my life, was when I had the 'trots', after eating a suspicious kebab last year, sometime! Well done United and Mr. Closet.

[QUOTE="Colin B, post: 6278, member: 27"]I hope your Mrs enjoys her "something special" Dave. Will you be wearing the white suit with the unique air conditioning?
Ahem! My name's Cudd and it rhymes with 'stud'....enough said, basically.[/QUOTE]

It also rhymes with "spud" Dave. I hope you didn't buy her a bag of potatoes?!?!?!

Ahem! My name's Cudd and it rhymes with 'stud'....enough said, basically.

It also rhymes with "spud" Dave. I hope you didn't buy her a bag of potatoes?!?!?![/QUOTE]
Nah! It's Cudd the stud..........I've got five Cuddlets, FFS!
She's my second wife. The first was so ugly, she couldn't keep her dildo stiff. Every time she tried to put lipstick on, it would take one look at her mouth and go back down the tube.

I thought Blackpool did a great job on closing us down. They were getting in our faces as soon as we had the ball. How many times did Jack have 3/4 players snapping at his heels.
Wes needs to start playing for the team and passing rather than running into a crowd of players. I think Pep should have pulled him off rather than Gino cuz Gino has pace which Wes lacks.

Wes took a defender away from Gino whilst still being in an easy position for a shot on open goal in the first half when Gino should have passed it.
He also made the run and was fouled for match winning free kick. Funny how people can see the game differently.

Hard tickets are the plastic cards, soft tickets are the paper ones. That’s my understanding anyway

Snigger material but way off if you were hoping for a whoosh. Nip back to the old forum and take a lesson for oufcyellows. Now, he could have whooshed for England!

Carroll was one of the positives; with Obika and the saviour Eastwood. Otherwise it was a dire escape.

We press as individuals, the midfield is tied to the defense by a rope 4 yards long. Our players break with the threat of a kitkat. I can see why Blackpool were fighting in the changing room after being done over by our lot.

Gino van Kessel is the Yemi of the 21st century; if, as my elves aver, he is the second-highest earner he needs to be released. He is (apart from the comedy passing) a true waste of air.

Mowatt needs to go - busted. Payne was awful in the first half, Ruffels had one of his worst games ever.

Very lucky win, down to Eastwood.
Who is the highest earner sir?

Well, that was one heavy to watch game.
Both sides completely failed to effectively keep the ball in possession, so, it made for a veryscrappy footballmatch.
Forgive me for asking, but just how many times did a simple pass just roll out for a throw-in? For both sides?
Terrible at times.
We won, so that is good of course. I was delighted with the three points, but we have got to play better than that.
Without Eastwood in goal, I dread to think where we would be.
Thomas and Obika need to be tighter together and look to feed off each other. They played like strangers at times yesterday... but then, they were not the only ones. I truly hate to be critical, as they are two of our best players, Leggo and Payne both seemed to do one thing right then immediately do one thing wrong... and don’t start me on GVK..WTF?
We have changed a lot in the last year or so.... and I’m not sure its for the better. The ground was quiet. Deathly quiet at times. It seems so long ago that we waved a thousand flags in the east stand.
Where did that all go?
As a club, we need to get back to the ways that inspired such a positive feeling both on, and off the pitch.
So lets get a couple of good players in in this transfer window to get us going again. We could yet give this league a f*****g good shot with the right personnel. Or we could just let this season wither and die. I know which one I would like to see! COYY!

I think Gino felt he created the chance with his pace and he wanted to be a hero.

Well, that was one heavy to watch game.
Both sides completely failed to effectively keep the ball in possession, so, it made for a veryscrappy footballmatch.
Forgive me for asking, but just how many times did a simple pass just roll out for a throw-in? For both sides?
Terrible at times.
We won, so that is good of course. I was delighted with the three points, but we have got to play better than that.
Without Eastwood in goal, I dread to think where we would be.
Thomas and Obika need to be tighter together and look to feed off each other. They played like strangers at times yesterday... but then, they were not the only ones. I truly hate to be critical, as they are two of our best players, Leggo and Payne both seemed to do one thing right then immediately do one thing wrong... and don’t start me on GVK..WTF?
We have changed a lot in the last year or so.... and I’m not sure its for the better. The ground was quiet. Deathly quiet at times. It seems so long ago that we waved a thousand flags in the east stand.
Where did that all go?
As a club, we need to get back to the ways that inspired such a positive feeling both on, and off the pitch.
So lets get a couple of good players in in this transfer window to get us going again. We could yet give this league a f*****g good shot with the right personnel. Or we could just let this season wither and die. I know which one I would like to see! COYY!
I cant believe that we are only 3 pts off 6th! I agree with your setitments. Days win papered over alot of cracks. Today reminded me of Doncaster. And we all knew what came next @ home.

Back
Top Bottom