+++ 06/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 2 - OUFC v Pompey +++

Agree with the last two posters (before Fred!). Rather than playing in the number 10 role off Mackie, he dropped a little deeper and began to influence games much more. Hopefully he'll return next season and we'll get to see the player he really is.

Just heard on South today TV that club is asking for season ticket holders to be allowed to go to Wembley? No chance too soon I think

No chance. Would mean all stadiums would have to allow fans in. Can't have one rule for us and one for all other games.

Just seen the (free) highlights on iFollow.

Taylors kick sounds like a gun going off.

Did anyone else notice that we were kicking the wrong way in ET?
We should have started ET kicking towards the fence, but we didn't.
No wonder I was confused which way we were kicking in the 2nd half of extra time.

Just seen the (free) highlights on iFollow.

Taylors kick sounds like a gun going off.

Did anyone else notice that we were kicking the wrong way in ET?
We should have started ET kicking towards the fence, but we didn't.
No wonder I was confused which way we were kicking in the 2nd half of extra time.
They did another coin toss. I haven't seen a coin toss for extra time before but the commentators mentioned we only watered half of the pitch.

Anybody got any ideas how we could send the boys of to Wembley showing them how proud and grateful we are seeing as we can’t turn Wembley yellow and blue with lots of noise maybe when we win we could do what Liverpool did and have a party outside the breeze block ?

Anybody got any ideas how we could send the boys of to Wembley showing them how proud and grateful we are seeing as we can’t turn Wembley yellow and blue with lots of noise maybe when we win we could do what Liverpool did and have a party outside the breeze block ?
Scarfs on all the bridges on the way to London just don't break any coronavirus rules as the media will love to report it.

Scarfs on all the bridges on the way to London just don't break any coronavirus rules as the media will love to report it.
Any fan that wants to be seen supporting the team in public needs to wear a 4 metre diameter disc!

Disappointed Pompey fan here. First of all well done Oxford United & good luck against Wycombe. I suppose the two games we have just had were never going to be football classics because of all the tension involved but they were certainly not a good advert for League 1. I think that with the supporters missing didn't help either and I think the outcome may well have been different if both games were played in packed stadiums. I think there would have been up to four penalties and a couple of sendings off had either side had their support behind them. I thought we should have had two penalties at Fratton and Oxford should have had one last night. I also beleive a rocking Fratton Park would have seen Pompey far more attack minded for our home leg. I think Oxford have a really good manager while I think the majority of the support here would like to see Mr Jackett moved on with his boring brand of defencive football. Fratton Park can be an intimidating place and with the crowd at full voice an attack minded Pompey would win more than they lose. Please don't see this as sour grapes but I have to say that these two games have shown that neither of our teams are ready for Championship football without a major overhaul, in fact I don't really see any of the promoted teams doing very well at all going up a league. Anyway best of luck in the final.

Please don't see this as sour grapes but I have to say that these two games have shown that neither of our teams are ready for Championship football without a major overhaul, in fact I don't really see any of the promoted teams doing very well at all going up a league.
Well given that we've beaten West Ham, only lost to Newcastle in extra time and did pretty well against Man City I'm not sure you are right. You might be, you might not be - but judging the standard of either team on the basis of two matches in four days after four months of no games, in front of empty stands is a bit short sighted. I am sure you have played better this season - we certainly have! A proper pre-season, some new blood and things could be very different. I hope we don't see you next season - it will mean we are finding out!

Disappointed Pompey fan here. First of all well done Oxford United & good luck against Wycombe. I suppose the two games we have just had were never going to be football classics because of all the tension involved but they were certainly not a good advert for League 1. I think that with the supporters missing didn't help either and I think the outcome may well have been different if both games were played in packed stadiums. I think there would have been up to four penalties and a couple of sendings off had either side had their support behind them. I thought we should have had two penalties at Fratton and Oxford should have had one last night. I also beleive a rocking Fratton Park would have seen Pompey far more attack minded for our home leg. I think Oxford have a really good manager while I think the majority of the support here would like to see Mr Jackett moved on with his boring brand of defencive football. Fratton Park can be an intimidating place and with the crowd at full voice an attack minded Pompey would win more than they lose. Please don't see this as sour grapes but I have to say that these two games have shown that neither of our teams are ready for Championship football without a major overhaul, in fact I don't really see any of the promoted teams doing very well at all going up a league. Anyway best of luck in the final.
Good luck to you also, but you can't judge either side in these circumstances. I would say Oxford were a good 25% below par. Most Oxford fans I think would not expect us to easily compete if we got promoted, but Robinson has had to handle many changes to the squad every season.

A bit like when we beat you 3-0 at Fratton Park first game of the season in 2017? Looking at the head to heads our last four or five games have been very tight right back to 2018 when you beat us 4-1.

I think that it’s just as likely we’d have scored a couple playing towards the East Stand, or saved more than the one penalty with the being taken in front of that stand.

Good luck next season, hopefully we aren’t playing you! And it did come across a little like sour grapes/whiny to me.

The thing that frustrates me with Mackie is, his whole game seems to be about fouling the opposition rather than trying to actually win the ball. He gives away sooo many needless fouls when we’re deep into the oppositions territory which ends up actually helping them out rather than aiding us.

Within in minutes of Taylor coming on you can see the difference in class/touch and the way he joins the midfield with the front men, so just wish Mackie could add the bit to his game, oh and a few goals wouldn’t go a kiss either!!

Sorry chaps but I really did not want my comment to come across as sour grapes and it was simply my honest opinion. I agree it is quite true to say that you can't judge the standard of League 1 on these two games and, of course, in empty stadiums. When Oxford played at Fratton Park I was quite impressed with them and a bit envious. Your teams style of play is more entertaining than ours and, in all fairness, one of the more entertaining teams in this league along with Peterborough. I still stand by my comment that I don't think any of the promoted teams from this league are ready for the Championship, but that's not to say they can't bring players in that will make them more competitive. I have made this judgement over what I have seen this season and these last two games reinforced that view. I also agree that the two games may well have been different had we had our supporters there. I noted that even the professional pundits at the Fratton game pointed out that we would probably have got at least two of the penalty shouts had there been 19000 home fans there. I think there would have been red cards as well in both games. The foul on Burgess was as blatant a penalty as you could see but then again the shirt pulling on your sub in the second game by Brown should have resulted in a penalty. Oddly enough I did not think the trip on Curtis that your manager thought was a penalty was one. I think Pompey's players play acting and diving quite possibly goes against them and this is one of the more frustrating features of their play but, it seems, most professional players do this these days. I thought that when one of your players commited a bad foul on one of ours in the second half seeing half the Pompey team run to the referee to try and get him sent off was disgusting as well as embarrassing for our club. I think Oxford are a Championship sized club with the support you have but I do love the fact that football can throw up little clubs, such as Wycombe, being able to rub shoulders with the big boys. From my perspective I think Pompey should be playing at that level given the size of the club and the support it can attract. If we had a bigger ground we would regularly get around the 30000 mark. I would like to see Kenny Jackett replaced with a manager who would field an attacking team that would really get Fratton Park rocking again instead of this dull negative defensive set up he uses. I would love to see Darren Ferguson given the job that he has applied for on at least two occasions or, maybe, a certain Karl Robinson who also applied for it in the past. He won't leave Oxford now because he may just have built a team that is entering a golden era for your club and I wish you all good luck, good health and a great next season wherever you end up (but not at the expense of Pompey if it is League 1).

Sorry chaps but I really did not want my comment to come across as sour grapes and it was simply my honest opinion. I agree it is quite true to say that you can't judge the standard of League 1 on these two games and, of course, in empty stadiums. When Oxford played at Fratton Park I was quite impressed with them and a bit envious. Your teams style of play is more entertaining than ours and, in all fairness, one of the more entertaining teams in this league along with Peterborough. I still stand by my comment that I don't think any of the promoted teams from this league are ready for the Championship, but that's not to say they can't bring players in that will make them more competitive. I have made this judgement over what I have seen this season and these last two games reinforced that view. I also agree that the two games may well have been different had we had our supporters there. I noted that even the professional pundits at the Fratton game pointed out that we would probably have got at least two of the penalty shouts had there been 19000 home fans there. I think there would have been red cards as well in both games. The foul on Burgess was as blatant a penalty as you could see but then again the shirt pulling on your sub in the second game by Brown should have resulted in a penalty. Oddly enough I did not think the trip on Curtis that your manager thought was a penalty was one. I think Pompey's players play acting and diving quite possibly goes against them and this is one of the more frustrating features of their play but, it seems, most professional players do this these days. I thought that when one of your players commited a bad foul on one of ours in the second half seeing half the Pompey team run to the referee to try and get him sent off was disgusting as well as embarrassing for our club. I think Oxford are a Championship sized club with the support you have but I do love the fact that football can throw up little clubs, such as Wycombe, being able to rub shoulders with the big boys. From my perspective I think Pompey should be playing at that level given the size of the club and the support it can attract. If we had a bigger ground we would regularly get around the 30000 mark. I would like to see Kenny Jackett replaced with a manager who would field an attacking team that would really get Fratton Park rocking again instead of this dull negative defensive set up he uses. I would love to see Darren Ferguson given the job that he has applied for on at least two occasions or, maybe, a certain Karl Robinson who also applied for it in the past. He won't leave Oxford now because he may just have built a team that is entering a golden era for your club and I wish you all good luck, good health and a great next season wherever you end up (but not at the expense of Pompey if it is League 1).
Fair enough, you won me over when you said Oxford are a Championship sized club, unlike those Sunderland idiots who think Oxford and Wycombe are much of the same. There's some great history between Oxford and Portsmouth although it probably means more to us than to you. But ask any Pompey fan about Santa and they'll say that was the best atmosphere they've ever experienced. We've also played Portsmouth more than any other team in the football league, and in all four divisions, so hopefully we'll be playing again in the Championship sooner or later.

But to be fair you probably have L1’s greatest dive Tom Daley MK2 in John Marquis. I think this quote of yours is well written and honest. I have to add having watched the 1st leg I did feel Curtis who is a good player can get very petulant.
Overall 2 legs played with a lot of caution by both teams hence why the game did seem stale and not as attractive as either leg in the Wycombe/Fleetwood ties.
Best of luck next season although looking at who is coming up and those that are there already and those that may come down it will be another tough league.

i think it says much about the modern game that fans have the mindset that officials can be influenced by the size of crowd etc, regardless of obvious biased views that's not really what we wish for the game though is it?..Var would likely have given you the handball (thankfully not used ) but i wonder how many actual saw it at the time without the replays?
I think when you judge the league and capabilities of teams in it to perform in the championship i wonder if you're doing so based on games you've seen with Your managers strange tactics along with away teams coming to Fratton Park happy to take a point in the main? Neither of which is likely to see an entertaining game.
I was surprised your manager did not switch Curtis and Williams from time to time to give our fullbacks even more to think about and deal with...I also wonder whether removing Williams although shattered was a mistake as it was worth the chance that he had 1 or 2 more runs in him with Hawkins on the end of crosses? he may have only needed 1 chance.
I don't think you're as far away as reading your forums suggests but based on your thoughts on crowds influencing officials an empty Fratton Park will be against you.

Best of Luck

The thing that frustrates me with Mackie is, his whole game seems to be about fouling the opposition rather than trying to actually win the ball. He gives away sooo many needless fouls when we’re deep into the oppositions territory which ends up actually helping them out rather than aiding us.

Within in minutes of Taylor coming on you can see the difference in class/touch and the way he joins the midfield with the front men, so just wish Mackie could add the bit to his game, oh and a few goals wouldn’t go a kiss either!!
I agree. If you watch him,, his eyes and body movement seem more focused on the opposition player, rather than the ball.

i think it says much about the modern game that fans have the mindset that officials can be influenced by the size of crowd etc, regardless of obvious biased views that's not really what we wish for the game though is it?..Var would likely have given you the handball (thankfully not used ) but i wonder how many actual saw it at the time without the replays?
I think when you judge the league and capabilities of teams in it to perform in the championship i wonder if you're doing so based on games you've seen with Your managers strange tactics along with away teams coming to Fratton Park happy to take a point in the main? Neither of which is likely to see an entertaining game.
I was surprised your manager did not switch Curtis and Williams from time to time to give our fullbacks even more to think about and deal with...I also wonder whether removing Williams although shattered was a mistake as it was worth the chance that he had 1 or 2 more runs in him with Hawkins on the end of crosses? he may have only needed 1 chance.
I don't think you're as far away as reading your forums suggests but based on your thoughts on crowds influencing officials an empty Fratton Park will be against you.

Best of Luck
I wasn't saying whether it was right or wrong concerning the referees being influenced by the crowd but I do believe it happens, but I do agree that it shouldn't happen. Very often in a reverse way where we see referees show that they are not 'homers' and not going to be swayed by a passionate & vocal home crowd. I have also seen refs 'lose their heads' at Fratton too and give Pompey decisions that were not rightfully due. As for judging capabilities I would argue that the best teams and players find a way of beating what is in front of them. Good teams will find a way through our rigid way of playing. You are right that a lot of teams come to Fratton with not losing being their aim and with our managers strange ways makes for a boring game.

Back
Top Bottom