Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/08/2021 L1 Cambridge United v OUFC +++

Good point at the end of the day, should have been further ahead at ht, looked a bit rattled for awhile after the penalty and could quite well have lost it very late on. Lots to work on, but a promising start. Thought Stevens kicking was again poor and was slow to clear for a chance of a breakaway, unlucky not to have got a touch with the penalty though.

Having taken a bit of time to process the game, I still can’t shake the feeling it will very much feel like a vital two points dropped come the end of the season - but in isolation it was so fun to be back in a packed stadium and back at an away game that compartmentalising the result becomes much easier.

There were points where we had so much quality on the field - but some of our play in the final third felt so lacking in composure. In the second half we overloaded the flanks to really great effect. Multiple times it felt like they had a full-back faced with the trio of Forde/Henry/Williams (or Bodin) on one side…or Seddon/Sykes/Whyte on the other - yet very few times were we able to really capitalise on that and make a genuine chance on goal.

Gorrin and Long really felt like they would improve that team. Brannagan is a top
player at L1 level so of course is extremely effective as the CDM - but he doesn’t break up enough play, he isn’t ‘physical’ enough and having him deeper means we don’t have his composure and canny ability to pick a pass when we get higher up the pitch. As someone else said, if KR’s opinion is that Gorrin isn’t now good enough in the holding role of the midfield trio then we need to go and get someone that he feels is. The Brannagan/Sykes/Henry trio are attractive to watch with the ball at their feet but are not strong enough, not physical enough, not savvy enough and not good enough at getting the ball back if we are genuinely aiming to get promoted.

I’m going to try not to be too negative - but the ‘pre-planned’ sub nonsense was ridiculous. We got worse with Winnall on the pitch. It wasn’t all his fault - the game became far slower and a more stunted, stop-start affair which suited them far more - but his movement isn’t as good as Taylor’s, his ability to retain the football is substantially worse than Matty’s and he was bullied in the air. I hope Winnall comes good this season, but also hope we’re prepared to get rid of him early in the January window if he isn’t able to perform.

Ending on a positive - I was impressed with all our signings. Seddon made a few defensive errors but was SO full of energy and constantly threatening as the extra wide man. Really looking forward to watching him this season. Thorniley looked solid and decent with the ball at his feet, meaning he felt like an effective like-for-like replacement for Atkinson. Williams was exactly as I remembered, i.e. direct, bad-tempered, rash tackling and generally looking like a nightmare to play against! Bodin could be a really fun sub to bring on against tiring defences if we keep him fit. He was blowing by the end having only played 30 minutes - but at points he drifted past opposition players like they weren’t even there.

Definitely lots to work on, and based on what I saw Cambridge looked like possible relegation candidates (albeit with some really talented attacking midfielders). But it was great to be back on the road at an away game, I’m glad we didn’t lose as clearly this was the absolute worst time to play Cambridge at their place, and it certainly felt like we had a LOT more fluidity and continuity from the previous season than we’ve had on opening day over the last few years…

A lot of draws in Lge 1 yesterday, so we didn’t lose much ground to others, but at the same time we could of put 2 points between us and others that will be up there come the end.

The only teams that won yesterday that will threaten the top six we’re Wycombe and Rotherham, and Sunderland and perhaps Portsmouth.

Having taken a bit of time to process the game, I still can’t shake the feeling it will very much feel like a vital two points dropped come the end of the season - but in isolation it was so fun to be back in a packed stadium and back at an away game that compartmentalising the result becomes much easier.

There were points where we had so much quality on the field - but some of our play in the final third felt so lacking in composure. In the second half we overloaded the flanks to really great effect. Multiple times it felt like they had a full-back faced with the trio of Forde/Henry/Williams (or Bodin) on one side…or Seddon/Sykes/Whyte on the other - yet very few times were we able to really capitalise on that and make a genuine chance on goal.

Gorrin and Long really felt like they would improve that team. Brannagan is a top
player at L1 level so of course is extremely effective as the CDM - but he doesn’t break up enough play, he isn’t ‘physical’ enough and having him deeper means we don’t have his composure and canny ability to pick a pass when we get higher up the pitch. As someone else said, if KR’s opinion is that Gorrin isn’t now good enough in the holding role of the midfield trio then we need to go and get someone that he feels is. The Brannagan/Sykes/Henry trio are attractive to watch with the ball at their feet but are not strong enough, not physical enough, not savvy enough and not good enough at getting the ball back if we are genuinely aiming to get promoted.

I’m going to try not to be too negative - but the ‘pre-planned’ sub nonsense was ridiculous. We got worse with Winnall on the pitch. It wasn’t all his fault - the game became far slower and a more stunted, stop-start affair which suited them far more - but his movement isn’t as good as Taylor’s, his ability to retain the football is substantially worse than Matty’s and he was bullied in the air. I hope Winnall comes good this season, but also hope we’re prepared to get rid of him early in the January window if he isn’t able to perform.

Ending on a positive - I was impressed with all our signings. Seddon made a few defensive errors but was SO full of energy and constantly threatening as the extra wide man. Really looking forward to watching him this season. Thorniley looked solid and decent with the ball at his feet, meaning he felt like an effective like-for-like replacement for Atkinson. Williams was exactly as I remembered, i.e. direct, bad-tempered, rash tackling and generally looking like a nightmare to play against! Bodin could be a really fun sub to bring on against tiring defences if we keep him fit. He was blowing by the end having only played 30 minutes - but at points he drifted past opposition players like they weren’t even there.

Definitely lots to work on, and based on what I saw Cambridge looked like possible relegation candidates (albeit with some really talented attacking midfielders). But it was great to be back on the road at an away game, I’m glad we didn’t lose as clearly this was the absolute worst time to play Cambridge at their place, and it certainly felt like we had a LOT more fluidity and continuity from the previous season than we’ve had on opening day over the last few years…
That’s an interesting and measured report, thanks. Sounds like there’s a lot we can build on. I’m a big fan of Henry and like Sykes but I don’t think they can play together in midfield, as you say. I like your description of Williams as bad-tempered, that’s exactly how I see him.

Having taken a bit of time to dwell on that, it still seems like a valuable 2 extra points were dropped yesterday.

We grew into it in the first half, gradually settling down and trying to play our game. I thought Williams had a decent game actually, before being substituted. What I like about his game is he seems quite physical in comparison to some of our other players. I also thought Brannagan looked very comfortable on the ball, a player I've always thought would not look at all out of place in the Championship. Honourable mentions to Thorniley and Seddon who settled in well, I was a fan of Ruffels but I feel like Seddon will be an upgrade, Ruffels got absolutely destroyed against the best L1 wingers, I hope Seddon is more solid.

In the second half, we missed a couple of golden chances to go 2 up, and Cambridge, who only ever looked like they might score from a set piece, did exactly that.

It has to be said though, what a player Wes Hoolahan is for 39 years of age, pace he may not have, but his reading of the game was second to none. A top pro.

The substitutions didn't really make sense to me, particularly Winnall for Taylor. What exactly does Agyei need to do to get a look-in?! What is KR seeing that I'm not?

Having taken a bit of time to dwell on that, it still seems like a valuable 2 extra points were dropped yesterday.

We grew into it in the first half, gradually settling down and trying to play our game. I thought Williams had a decent game actually, before being substituted. What I like about his game is he seems quite physical in comparison to some of our other players. I also thought Brannagan looked very comfortable on the ball, a player I've always thought would not look at all out of place in the Championship. Honourable mentions to Thorniley and Seddon who settled in well, I was a fan of Ruffels but I feel like Seddon will be an upgrade, Ruffels got absolutely destroyed against the best L1 wingers, I hope Seddon is more solid.

In the second half, we missed a couple of golden chances to go 2 up, and Cambridge, who only ever looked like they might score from a set piece, did exactly that.

It has to be said though, what a player Wes Hoolahan is for 39 years of age, pace he may not have, but his reading of the game was second to none. A top pro.

The substitutions didn't really make sense to me, particularly Winnall for Taylor. What exactly does Agyei need to do to get a look-in?! What is KR seeing that I'm not?
Some good points there.
On the last one, KR said afterwards that the Winnal for Taylor sub was preplanned for 65 minutes no matter what which to me is ludicrous!! Winnall has been good in training was the only reason given, no mention of Agyei at all.
I don't think Agyei has a future here as a striker which let's be honest is what he is.

Hoolahan had a good game but with out him, Cambridge would be awful. And at 39 can’t see him playing 46 league games. They will definitely be down the bottom.

It was really great to be at a packed away game again.

Disappointed we seemed very direct although had pretty good success picking up the second ball.

All the new signings performed well. Very pleased to have Whyte back.

We were so direct I actually thought winnal could do a better job holding the ball up and bringing in the wingers. I think with Holland fit we would have had something off the bench to kill the game off. Clearly Mcguane isn't fit for 90 minutes.

Can you point out which of the subs gave the penalty away or contributed to us conceding? And how are you measuring the majority of fans supporting these views?
I think your first question proves my point about analysing the game in a nutshell, and exactly why the subs were wrong and/or ineffective.

It’s funny how people see things differently, I guess that is why we all get so passionate about the game and club we love.

I thought we were solid, if unspectacular throughout the game.

Once Long comes in to give you natural stability on the right and we get Gorrin breaking up the play in CDM we will be ok.

I agree that Agyei should have been given an opportunity yesterday. During the 2nd half for all the half chances we created I thought we played a fair bit in front of their back line and ask any defender, that is where they want the attackers to be. Dan gives you that directness in his running and has the ability to turn defenders. I actually thought Winnall was good when he came on and played a lovely ball to Whyte in particular. I think it’s important that SW doesn’t become some pantomime villain to supporters. While he plays for OUFC, he deserves our full support. He might just come good - his record would suggest as much.

I’m in the camp of wanting more physicality in the midfield if we can. For me, Henry would miss out and McGuane would start. Sykes (penalty aside) was progressive in his play and looked to be positive. We all have moments of madness, don’t we?

A word to the supporters, utter brilliant turn out and atmosphere pre match and first half. My only gripe was the ‘don’t take me home’ song….it’s a no from me.
As well as the inane ‘your support is f*****g s**t’. Especially as I thought Cambridge supporters made a decent noise from before kick off and through the game.
Agree on Winnall as well, we’ve seen glimpses of what he can do but strikers thrive on confidence and that would come with a run of starts but of course he may have to wait for that to happen.

Don't often post but enjoyed the game yesterday. Think we all agree that once we settled down we played some attractive football at times and is probably a game we should have won by taking chances early in the 2nd half. My brief opinions - Brannagan was good on the ball and managed to get us going forward - his ball in the lead up to the goal as an example - but no-one really had an ineffective game. Moore was my personal MOM - reliable, honest, strong in the air and calm. My biggest frustration was Stephens' distribution which I found slow in some possible counter-attack opportunities and the crowd in the firing line from the boot.

I also found it quite emotional being back at a game, in a packed away end and watching my beloved mighty Ox.

I thought our vocal support was ok but Cambridge barely made a noise until they scored the penalty

How you interpret a draw as a valuable 2 points dropped after the 1st game of the season is beyond me.

Agree that Sykes and Henry aren't great together definitely better with a different player .

Wonder what the odds of that would be on B365 🤔

And don’t forget, 2nd place goes up auto, also 👍
Well if another team wins every game except against the team that comes top we also can’t come second.

Yesterday was a potential must win game.

Some good points there.
On the last one, KR said afterwards that the Winnal for Taylor sub was preplanned for 65 minutes no matter what which to me is ludicrous!! Winnall has been good in training was the only reason given, no mention of Agyei at all.
I don't think Agyei has a future here as a striker which let's be honest is what he is.

He actually said in his interview that Sam had a good pre season. So obviously Agyei didn’t?

Not sure on that. Like I said above your subs are made according to how the game is going. It was crying out for an Agyei appearance. He offers something different to Taylor and Winnall. Pace and power, and runs in behind, and causes a nuisance of himself. Allowing others to do there thing. Don’t just bring someone on because you already made a decision prior to the match. KR would of been better off not saying that. He opens himself up to criticism at times. Just daft imo.

Back
Top Bottom