Away Match Day Thread 08/02/2022 L1: Accrington Stanley v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re his coaching ability’s, I don’t, just like Joel doesn’t.

I want to know why he isn’t starting a game like Tuesday. Accy would have been watched, we would have known how they set up and how they play.

So to play a reserve utility defender in this game was poor management from Robinson and the coaching team especially when you have an experienced defender in “Mous” not in the starting 11.

As for the rest.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

What’s in it for Ox to carry a passenger in the senior playing squad….
Not my name btw, although I suppose my name means nothing to anyone who isn't a nerdy millennial so forgivable. You're right, I don't know, I can only go by what I've seen and heard, and the fact he's still at the club. KR has shown he has no issue getting rid of people if they let the team down or aren't good enough - and he's been nothing but positive about Mous - even describing him as "like a manager on the pitch" back in the 18/19 season. If he wasn't a good coach he wouldn't still be at the club.

But beyond that - he's not just an inexperienced former pro thrown in at the deep end. He started his coaching badges at 20, and completed his UEFA A Licence 8+ years ago. He's also done great work both for the Oxfordshire community (launched YDP with Matty Taylor in Oxford) and is doing a lot of work within the research of concussion in football players. Whether you agree with his squad place or not, surely there's no denying that he is a positive influence at the club and a good person to have associated with OUFC?

Not my name btw, although I suppose my name means nothing to anyone who isn't a nerdy millennial so forgivable. You're right, I don't know, I can only go by what I've seen and heard, and the fact he's still at the club. KR has shown he has no issue getting rid of people if they let the team down or aren't good enough - and he's been nothing but positive about Mous - even describing him as "like a manager on the pitch" back in the 18/19 season. If he wasn't a good coach he wouldn't still be at the club.

But beyond that - he's not just an inexperienced former pro thrown in at the deep end. He started his coaching badges at 20, and completed his UEFA A Licence 8+ years ago. He's also done great work both for the Oxfordshire community (launched YDP with Matty Taylor in Oxford) and is doing a lot of work within the research of concussion in football players. Whether you agree with his squad place or not, surely there's no denying that he is a positive influence at the club and a good person to have associated with OUFC?

Nice write up. But that mattered how on Tuesday?

How will that matter on Saturday if our only other defensive players are unavailable?

Presently, I’m more interested in what he offers ON the pitch. And from what everyone can see, is very very minimal.

Why didn’t he start Tuesday?

The rest, is all speculation.

Nice write up. But that mattered how on Tuesday?

How will that matter on Saturday if our only other defensive players are unavailable?

Presently, I’m more interested in what he offers ON the pitch. And from what everyone can see, is very very minimal.

Why didn’t he start Tuesday?

The rest, is all speculation.

You're getting fixated on a red herring.

Yes, Mous is not offering anything to us in playing terms. And likely won't all season.

But that has nothing to do with our failure to bring in defensive reinforcements.
As has oft been said in the last few pages - we have a space free in the squad. There was no reason that we could not have brought in another defender in January. We should have, we need another defender. But KR has this blind spot where it's almost become a matter of pride to him not to have proper defensive depth in the squad.

Whether or not Mous is registered as part of our playing squad is utterly irrelevant.
De-registering him so that we only have 20 senior players would achieve absolutely nothing (other than removing the option to bring him on to shore things up in injury time).

This was / part of my point.

Robinson failed by not adding to our defensive numbers - Brown should have been the plus one after a more senior defensive player was added.

Let’s hope this doesn’t cost us Mous or no Mous…

Talking of fixations and red herrings, there seems to be a groundswell that KR did not try to bolster the defensive quota in the January window (and in the summer if I come to think of it).

Maybe the club's inability to secure the targets would be a better place to start the inquisition - unless, of course, we are still lauding the management team for rejecting perfectly good candidates who were more interested in what they could get from the club rather than what they could bring to it.

Cant agree with the scapegoating of Seddon, he is being asked to predominantly be an attacking full back therefore will often be 'the wrong side of the ball' he also has not had a stable left sided centre back to work with. Also his winger always tends to be our less defensive one eg Holland or Whyte whereas Long tends to get Williams or Sykes in front who always track back. Without knowing the stats I would imagine Seddons goals/assists far outway the RB position.
As someone who has been critical of Seddon, there has been no ‘scapegoating’ of him, apart from in this strange forum meaning of the word where if a player plays badly and more than one person comments on it, suddenly it’s a ‘witch-hunt’ and they’ve been scapegoated. No, it’s just people recognising when someone isn’t playing well, which is allowed surely?!

Steve Seddon has quite clearly been off form in the last few games and has made a number of errors resulting in goals (and nearly gave away a penalty) - it’s not just that he’s been exposed or not supported, he’s also made unforced errors, giving the ball away from simple passes, not tracking his man and generally being poor - including in an attacking sense. His good attacking stats are mainly from earlier in the season when he was on a good run, so aren’t really relevant when talking about his current form. He’s not adding much to the team going forwards at the moment, and is an absolute liability defensively. Often it seems most of teams attacks come down our left hand side in games.

Radio Oxford have noticed it as well, so it’s not just a forum thing. You have to say if we had a half decent backup he’d surely be out of the team? Put it this way, if a winger or central midfielder was playing at the level he is, putting in that quality of performance for 2, 3, 4 games in a row, would they still be in the side now? Definitely not! Marcus McGuane has been streets ahead of Seddon in every one of his last few games and he’s still in and out of the team and constantly being questioned on here! ‘McGuane should do more’ - Ok, maybe Seddon should stop giving goals away?! Should drop back into left back every now and then?
Watching again, you are absolutely right - I should learn to stop trusting the word of Jerome & Nathan as gospel!

So my humblest apologies to Ciaron Brown.
And that's Exhibit Z to stick in the file entitled "Why Steven Seddon is not a defender"
I genuinely think that if you looked at say the last 10 goals Oxford have conceded, no player would be at fault for more of them than Seddon. He’s also not contributing much in all round play currently (he has done previously in the season, when he was in good form).

Again, this isn’t bashing him, as I say he’s been good for us before and I’m sure will be again, but in any other position he’d have had a spell out of the side and a chance to regain some form. I feel sorry for him more than anything, at times he looks like his confidence is shot to pieces but he just plays and plays 90 minutes week in, week out. He absolutely needs and deserves to be dropped.

Is Mousinho's PFA role a paid one ? If it is - and paid handsomely at that - then perhaps his role wit us is unpaid in return for a squad place. The coaching aspect can only be good for us in the long run as he'd undoubtedly be a name in the frame for the future. Either way, he's worth a squad place. Good character, useful coming on to help shore things up and takes one hell of a spot kick - think play offs, final, he's a virtual guarantee from 12 yards.
His role with us is not unpaid, he’s an average earner as the playing squad goes.

His role with us is not unpaid, he’s an average earner as the playing squad goes.
Very strange to have given him another contract and not play him. Not only a waste of wages but of a squad place too. If I owned the club, I would be very disappointed. Could cost us being 1 short at centre back

Very strange to have given him another contract and not play him. Not only a waste of wages but of a squad place too. If I owned the club, I would be very disappointed. Could cost us being 1 short at centre back
It’s a good job you or I don’t own the club then isn’t it.
If Tiger and Co see is as a worth while expense then that’s up to them. We have no idea how much extra value Mous brings to the squad.

I'd say we have a pretty decent idea how much value he brings as a player. Thus, taking up a squad place is a waste of a squad place when you could still pay him the same and have an 'extra' place for a playable defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom