09/08/2022 - Carabao Cup: OUFC v Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Robinson saying he’s looking to try something defensively they’ve been working on in training. Murphy at Left wing back! Just the sort of thing he’d do in a desperate attempt to not sign a proper left back!…..That is tongue in cheek…I hope

reckon a changed / semi experimental OUFC squad/ line up will nick it by the odd goal 2-1

Robinson saying he’s looking to try something defensively they’ve been working on in training. Murphy at Left wing back! Just the sort of thing he’d do in a desperate attempt to not sign a proper left back!…..That is tongue in cheek…I hope
Wouldn’t write this off. By those who have seen them both close up, his twin brother was the weaker of the two and has carved himself out a career as a wing back in the premier league and proved pretty useful there.

The great thing about a wing back is they don’t have to be perfect defensively. If anything their attacking game is more important due to sacrifice of one forward thinking player for the insurance policy of 3 CBs. It needs a certain awareness but not necessarily a naturally defence-minded player.

Well worth a go in a throwaway competition - might reveal something that’ll help us in the league.

Murphy was pretty reluctant to get back and do too much in the way of defensive duty yesterday. He may well come on from the bench Tuesday.

Wouldn’t write this off. By those who have seen them both close up, his twin brother was the weaker of the two and has carved himself out a career as a wing back in the premier league and proved pretty useful there.

The great thing about a wing back is they don’t have to be perfect defensively. If anything their attacking game is more important due to sacrifice of one forward thinking player for the insurance policy of 3 CBs. It needs a certain awareness but not necessarily a naturally defence-minded player.

Well worth a go in a throwaway competition - might reveal something that’ll help us in the league.
I agree it could happen. Robinson mentioned how he’s changed as a player because he’s running back and helping defensively.

I agree it could happen. Robinson mentioned how he’s changed as a player because he’s running back and helping defensively.
I think he needs time to just find his enthusiasm again which may have faded a bit playing at Cardiff where typically, the first job is to defend. He may feel they clipped his wings a bit. He’s shown himself to get stuck in at times and I think if he gets that hunger back he could be a very useful option as a wing back. Never a left back in a 4 though!!

Not sure I like this:

Us fans want cup runs and the chance to visit stadiums we otherwise wouldn't. A thank you to the fans would be playing a strong XI to try and make cup runs happen.
A bonus for me. Far rather we use them as an opportunity to rotate & experiment with things that might help us in the league.

Championship football is what matters to us now. Cup runs are a day out for fans and a few quid in our rainy day fund which is already overflowing. We have enough great places to go this year. I’m not suggesting we throw the game but I think the ambitions of the club have outgrown a cup run at this point.

Not sure I like this:

Us fans want cup runs and the chance to visit stadiums we otherwise wouldn't. A thank you to the fans would be playing a strong XI to try and make cup runs happen.
I guess that it is a balance.
Trying to win the game but giving the fringe players game time.
Swansea will probably change many players ( if not all). Over the past few years we have generally got it right ( win first round games but give game time to the fringe players)

Interesting how people think we should just bin off the cups to ‘focus on the league’ considering that’s exactly what we did last year with QPR (League Cup), Bristol Rovers (FA Cup) and Cambridge/Stevenage (Football League Trophy) and finished 7 points off the play offs.

That kind of mentality won’t bring this football club success.

Interesting how people think we should just bin off the cups to ‘focus on the league’ considering that’s exactly what we did last year with QPR (League Cup), Bristol Rovers (FA Cup) and Cambridge/Stevenage (Football League Trophy) and finished 7 points off the play offs.

and fans suddenly have a different thought process when the likes of city,west ham etc come calling.

so expect an announcement Monday Morning for the fans, Erase from memory some of those exciting cup runs and being winners of this competitionm we've got a few quid so we are not bothered about cups just come along if you want to

I guess that it is a balance.
Trying to win the game but giving the fringe players game time.
Swansea will probably change many players ( if not all). Over the past few years we have generally got it right ( win first round games but give game time to the fringe players)
If you remember, we played a somewhat experimental team against West Ham. I’m sure we’ll make some changes but hope we’re going out to win.

I saw positive comments about Smyth during preseason is he in the frame? I dont think Tyler should start against swansea, after 60 minutes against a tiring defence would be ideal. Its hard to know who should be rested we need gametime for Gorrin(if fit) Henry and others. Swansea havent started very well bound to make many changes their second string will be very keen to impress the manager so we must not underestimate them.

Glad we didn`t think like that in `86............ :rolleyes:

I certainly didn’t say bin it off. We should try and win every game. But how is it a negative thing to try and find more than one way of winning a game?

Don’t think anybody wants us to go and throw the towel in but if we try something and lose, it’s not a disaster. Truth is you’ll never ever know your best team if you stick to what you think it is from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom