Away Match Day Thread 10-04-2021 L1 Crewe Alexandra v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also a point that I don't think has been mentioned was that Dan was given "friendly yet direct verbal information" once again by another player (Sykes) yesterday following a run into no-mans land.

Henry, Winnall, Sykes, all bad 'uns!
I missed that but I'm sure you're right! Sykes was also given some "guidance" following a bad pass and his attempt from halfway, and I think it was Shodipo who gave some to Winnall for shooting instead.

I like to see it, it shows that people care.

That wasn’t what happened in the incident we’re talking about.

That was Elliot Lee wasn't it. Winnal moaned at Agyei when he over hit a pass to him and Winnal with his steel toe cap boots on at the time couldn't get on the end of it.

I missed that but I'm sure you're right! Sykes was also given some "guidance" following a bad pass and his attempt from halfway, and I think it was Shodipo who gave some to Winnall for shooting instead.

I like to see it, it shows that people care.

Exactly, didn't Karl say we were too quiet on the pitch. Sometimes players need rockets up their a**e throughout the game not just at half time.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, I would of scored that cross from Agyei, he put it on a plate for Winnal. Winnal still has a lot to prove that he is good enough to be our second choice striker behind Taylor for next season.

He had to be there to score, he was. Great cross from Agyei though. He also contributed in the rest of the time he was on the pitch.

Last edited:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, I would of scored that cross from Agyei, he put it on a plate for Winnal. Winnal still has a lot to prove that he is good enough to be our second choice striker behind Taylor for next season.

He had to be there to score, he was. Great cross from Agyei though. Winnall also contributed in the rest of the time he was on the pitch yesterday which is a bit of an encouragement if he can stay and get fit. That is the big if though.

Crewe were poor but have to say our 4th and 5th by Barker and Brannagan were class. At times this season we have played so well, almost unplayable.

Anyone see MOTD2 last night and cavani having a go at Greenwood to get his cross in early for him? Greenwood did the next time and Cavani scored from it.

This is football, stop worrying about our players being shouted at, they are big boys and if they can’t take being shouted at they won’t get far in the game.

He had to be there to score, he was. Great cross from Agyei though. Winnall also contributed in the rest of the time he was on the pitch yesterday which is a bit of an encouragement if he can stay and get fit. That is the big if though.
Agree about Agyei's cross, but Winnall needs to show he can make that kind of contribution against teams when we're really up against it, not just those who have already had their ar$es handed to them.

Not sure if any of the ‘players shouting at eachother is normal and fine’ comments are directed at me but just for clarity’s sake I never once said that it wasn’t. Of course in football if you mess up someone will give you a bollocking, which is natural and expected (although it can go too far and create a toxic atmosphere in a losing team - see the teammate who headbutted his colleague the other day!)

However, anyone who has played football will know how annoying it is when you play a perfectly good ball to someone who then messes it up and tries to loudly blame you in front of everyone. That is what happened, in my opinion, the other day between Winnall and Agyei and I just at the time mildly pointed it out - it wasn’t even me who brought it up again on this thread!

For anyone asking whether the keeper should have done better for the first goal, check out Goalcam... [emoji51]

I like these views of the goals, particularly, Henry's. You can see Matty Taylor always looking for some space for when the ball might come his way, then missing the strike when it does. Never mind James is there for Plan B. Funny how you can enjoy these moments when you win handsomely.

The Moments You Missed video was really good this week, albeit helped by our performance! One thing it showed is that Brandon Barker is putting a hefty price tag on himself. He'll be available in the summer, I very much doubt we can afford him, but I hope we at least go in with a second loan offer and he can run down his contract playing for us rather than anyone else. Ridiculously good player, and far too good for League 1. Head says a Championship club will snatch him, however. The faces of our players after Brandon's goal say it all; absolutely sublime.

I think the video also illustrates the difference in James Henry now and him before injury - constantly looking forwards and looking for ways to spring an attack. BB/JR win the ball back, he's looking to get into the box to attack the cross, and get's the crucial second goal that set us up to hammer them. He could be key in the run in, because he's looking like James Henry again. I think the combo of him, Sam Long and Elliott Lee worked really well too. None of them are quick (Sam has good pace, but not massive), but the rotation of the three, one cutting in, one going short, one going beyond the full, really created danger on the right, which in turn left more space for BB to strut his stuff; something I think we've really missed with Mide off form. It's been easy for teams to double up on BB because Mide hasn't posed enough danger on the right. I think Mide is still a very good player, but no denying he's really off form at the mo, which is to be expected given his age and his opening half of the season.

Mark Sykes... Bloody hell there is some player in there, if we could only get him out every game instead of one in every 10. His close control is sublime, and he has one hell of an engine and doesn't stop running all game. He just gets frustrated (with himself I imagine) far too easily and resorts to silly fouling far too often, and his end product makes Agon Mehmeti look clinical. If this 20 man squad cap lingers next season, it will be a massive shame because we won't be able to keep Sykes who I think still has the potential to be a quality player for us. I can definitely see him being a player to come back and haunt us one day if we let him go for free because of this preposterously stupid squad cap.

I really hate how this game has me optimistic again. Play like that the rest of the season we might just sneak in. It's the hope that kills you 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom