Away Match Day Thread 10-04-2021 L1 Crewe Alexandra v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
He came over a bit thick earlier on in the season so I reckon it’s more that than arrogance. If you have been hammered it’s a good idea to build up the opposing team a bit, who wants to have been turned over by an average team that didn’t play very well? If I lost 6-0 at home I would be making us sound like the Brazil 1970 World Cup team.

84. First home game of the season.

That was some of the most vicious fighting I’ve ever seen at football.
I was stood right next to the lad that started the Pompey chimes in the right side. Never forgotten his face and the tattoo on the inside of his bottom lip. Could never understand why it said Notts Forest.

He came over a bit thick earlier on in the season so I reckon it’s more that than arrogance. If you have been hammered it’s a good idea to build up the opposing team a bit, who wants to have been turned over by an average team that didn’t play very well? If I lost 6-0 at home I would be making us sound like the Brazil 1970 World Cup team.
We do have Ruffel-ino ;)

It is insane. Absolutely and utterly.

Even this season we're in the ludicrous position of having a contracted player that we can't fit into the squad.

I can see the argument for a salary cap, but a squad cap is just horseshit.
And championship relegated clubs would have to lose five players? Or would they be allowed to keep a bigger squad? Either would be ridiculous. It worries me that the league one reps on the committee are from Burton and Fleetwood who might be less opposed to the limit.

And championship relegated clubs would have to lose five players? Or would they be allowed to keep a bigger squad? Either would be ridiculous.
I believe they’re allowed at least one season of grace. But it gives them a huge advantage to go straight back up between the numbers and the spending they’re allowed to carry down. You’ll end up with loads of relegated clubs going for broke and gambling on an immediate bounce.

If the squad cap doesn’t get scrapped as well as the salary cap then the Championship will eventually split and become the PL2. It needs to be stopped immediately. Even a salary cap is bullshit - you can’t make Sunderland and Accrington have the same budget. It should be a percentage of revenue if there’s going to be one, not a flat rate. Otherwise you’re essentially telling someone who earns 150k a year that they can’t have anything more or nicer than the chap two streets over who earns 20k. It isn’t right.

A few things from that:

- Loved Matty Taylor chirping at their keeper after Beckles tried to lob him.

- Close up, absolutely no doubt that should have been a penalty for the challenge on Rob Atkinson.

- James Henry really looks like he is enjoying playing again.

- Genuinely laughed when Beckles started complaining about the actual penalty, I forgot about it from watching at the time.

- I remember Winnall getting slammed on here for complaining about a Dan Agyei pass but maybe it should be equally acknowledged that he was one of the few to run over to DA to celebrate the goal.

- Brandon Barker really did have that full back on toast at times but his closing down for the 2nd goal was very good. He earnt those smiles after the goals.

I remember Winnall getting slammed on here for complaining about a Dan Agyei pass but maybe it should be equally acknowledged that he was one of the few to run over to DA to celebrate the goal.

Was going to make that exact point. I think a few other players went to Dan first, but Sam went back across the pitch to acknowledge the cross with what I think was "f*****g superb Dan!" Maybe we won't need to get rid of the disgraceful Winnall after all!!

Or maybe he’s been told off/criticised for his previous reaction? I don’t see how him not being a t**t this time shows he wasn’t one last time?

Was going to make that exact point. I think a few other players went to Dan first, but Sam went back across the pitch to acknowledge the cross with what I think was "f*****g superb Dan!" Maybe we won't need to get rid of the disgraceful Winnall after all!!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, I would of scored that cross from Agyei, he put it on a plate for Winnal. Winnal still has a lot to prove that he is good enough to be our second choice striker behind Taylor for next season.

Also a point that I don't think has been mentioned was that Dan was given "friendly yet direct verbal information" once again by another player (Sykes) yesterday following a run into no-mans land.

Henry, Winnall, Sykes, all bad 'uns!

Unfortunately, not in the 1980's and 1970's, even grounds you didn't think there would be trouble could be a nightmare as an away fan. Some of the older faces you still see from years ago, some with kids, some still kids. It was unsanitised, but don't think it was all chocolate and roses.
Birmingham at home, around 1984, they decided to emerge from the Beech road and ran towards the London Road. I was in the Osler Road, talking to someone, the next thing like a rat up a drain pipe. he has it over the fence, initially getting his trousers caught on the fence, before running the whole width of the pitch, as the game was going on, to join in the frivolities in the London Road.
Who remembers Orient away midweek, again around 1984, Oxford opening the gates of the terraces then an on mass charge towards Oxford fans in the seats..
Reading away at Elm Park. A certain P. decides to try and join the reading fans over the fence by himself.
Charlton away, midweek, when an unfortunate Charlton fan living in Oxford, decides to take the same train as Oxford fans to the game, after weeks of goading Oxford. Not nice.
The Wolves away, same season, football special. Brighton away, 1982ish, stuck under the floodlights in the corner, then the battle of Hove Park afterwards. QPR away, the years around the time of the Milk Cup Final.
You saw different things, times were different, football mirrored society.
Football still does mirror society, it's all selfish greed, vanity, conning and cheating nowadays, and football ain't much better either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom