Home Match Day Thread 11/9/2021 L1: OUFC V Wycombe Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better teams like Lincoln and Charlton who were both expected to challenge for promotion? Or Bolton who put 5 past Ipswich yesterday and are currently 3rd? Or Wimbledon who are 4th?

One goal yesterday, which we more than deserved on the second hand showing and we finish the day in 3rd ourselves.

Did we really deserve to win ? Ok, we might have done enough to deserve a goal but we also did plenty in deserving to concede at least one goal. So for the positivity in saying we could be third had we scored in the second half, the reality is we could have lost that game and be sitting 12th. We were prettier on the eye but Wycombe were cannier and on that showing if I had to put my money on one of those two teams getting out of this league come May it would have been Wycombe.

If Derby got deducted points they would have stayed up, doesn't matter how you do it, they weren't that far off.
What a strange argument, Derby didn't have any points deducted so it's an irrelevant point. The final placings don't actually reflect what happened over the season - you won't even find a Wycombe fan who thought they might stay up. They were relegation certainties from the day the season started and that's how things panned out. Look at the players they had Saturday - did any of them even look like decent Championship level footballers? As pointed out previously, when Hull came down they looked a cut above - this is the same Wycombe way of playing with slightly better and more expensive players.

Would you pay to watch them every season then?
No, never said that. And I didn't want to pay to watch us under Atkins when we were winning dull. But that's just me, Cambridge in the 90s had people turn up to watch them, and they were the most anti-football side I've ever seen.

What a strange argument, Derby didn't have any points deducted so it's an irrelevant point. The final placings don't actually reflect what happened over the season - you won't even find a Wycombe fan who thought they might stay up. They were relegation certainties from the day the season started and that's how things panned out. Look at the players they had Saturday - did any of them even look like decent Championship level footballers? As pointed out previously, when Hull came down they looked a cut above - this is the same Wycombe way of playing with slightly better and more expensive players.
I think you'll find lots of Wycombe fans (including me) who think we should have stayed up last season. We were robbed by terrible decisions in an awful lot of games (most notably at home to Derby, who only finished one point above us, but also against away at Norwich and Luton, and at home to Millwall, QPR, Watford, Coventry), and probably ended up about 8-10 points short of where we could have done

And we do have a few decent Championship-level players. McCleary, Vokes, Stewart, Jacobson, Scowen, and Stockdale are all up there

I think you'll find lots of Wycombe fans (including me) who think we should have stayed up last season. We were robbed by terrible decisions in an awful lot of games (most notably at home to Derby, who only finished one point above us, but also against away at Norwich and Luton, and at home to Millwall, QPR, Watford, Coventry), and probably ended up about 8-10 points short of where we could have done

And we do have a few decent Championship-level players. McCleary, Vokes, Stewart, Jacobson, Scowen, and Stockdale are all up there
Of course you were robbed and no decisions went for you all season - absolute rubbish. If you had that many Championship quality players they wouldn't be playing for you in League One now. You did brilliantly to get up but you barely looked like surviving.

If my dog had a saddle it could be a horse.

Shouldn’t even have been allowed in the playoffs the previous season though.strange how you couldn’t afford to carry on the league season but could afford to play the playoffs!

No, never said that. And I didn't want to pay to watch us under Atkins when we were winning dull. But that's just me, Cambridge in the 90s had people turn up to watch them, and they were the most anti-football side I've ever seen.
Yes, I had a relative who watched Watford late 70's early 80's. They went from Div 4 to Div1(prem) in 5 years!! He said it was awful to watch at times but pumping the ball up to Blissett and Jenkins who were both 6ft 6 plus worked a treat and got results.
It's still a style of football but most of us would term it as 'anti-football.

It's not just you, though - the crowds when we were competing at the top of League 2 under Atkins were about 1,000 lower when we were doing the same under Appleton a decade later (and playing some great football).

Personally, I don't care much about entertainment as long as we're winning - pragmatism all the way. But I think there's a lot of Oxford fans that wouldn't put up with Ainsworth-ball.

Not really on the same page, I think the league is stronger this season than last.

MK, Wigan, Ipswich, Sunderland, Wednesday are all likely to come good. Its a marathon not a sprint. This is an extremely competitive league this season. We

I think it is on paper - and it may well turn out to be in practice as well.

But at the same time, it may not....every year a lot of teams at every level never amount to the sum of their parts.

All I'm saying is that we won't really know for sure until we've played everybody.

Again spot on . In many ways I think people think about the glory days of a full Manor in the bigger games . Especially the Tuesday night games which was allways buzzing. But in truth we have over time had some very low crowds.
To be honest yes average nine to ten no chance in this league.
I think they were Wednesdays back in the day.

I think they were Wednesdays back in the day.
We played on Wednesday instead of Tuesday for a few years after the move to the wind tunnel because of some B*****s about a curse, I believe.

We should probably have been more worried about getting actual footballers than what day of the week they were allowed to steal a living.

This season is going to be a strange 1. At least a 3rd of teams have spent a fortune to try and get promoted. Some of those teams have started well and look strong, others not so well, Ipswich being the prime example. Others have flattered to deceive like Pompey. If we start scoring we will be in the mix. Auto’s would be an outside bet but we certainly could make the playoffs. If we don’t start scoring it’s going to be a long frustrating season. Down to you KR which way are you taking us?

This season is going to be a strange 1. At least a 3rd of teams have spent a fortune to try and get promoted. Some of those teams have started well and look strong, others not so well, Ipswich being the prime example. Others have flattered to deceive like Pompey. If we start scoring we will be in the mix. Auto’s would be an outside bet but we certainly could make the playoffs. If we don’t start scoring it’s going to be a long frustrating season. Down to you KR which way are you taking us?
Erm I’m sure he’d prefer if we did go down the scoring route

The biggest problem with that style of football is it's really hard to sustain yourself when you make the step up to the Championship. You can't play like that and hope to stay up really, you have to be able to play. The teams are so good they will make 70% possession count more often than not.
Probably why Ainsworth is still there, I haven’t heard of him being touted for a better club than Wycombe.

That is some excuse for why you was in the bottom 3 practically all season I mean every referee linesman/woman must have had it in for little Wycombe and those championship superstars really most are on their way down otherwise they wouldn’t be playing for Wycombe who apparently have no funds and had to furlough all there staff and couldn’t afford to continue playing the season you got promoted

That is some excuse for why you was in the bottom 3 practically all season I mean every referee linesman/woman must have had it in for little Wycombe and those championship superstars really most are on their way down otherwise they wouldn’t be playing for Wycombe who apparently have no funds and had to furlough all there staff and couldn’t afford to continue playing the season you got promoted
You didn't watch our whole season last year. I know every fan has a cognitive bias towards emphasising/highlighting decisions against their own team, but last year it happened again and again and again, particularly at the start of the season. The Oxford United fan pundit on Quest - George Elek - even acknowledged it multiple times throughout the season. Never seen anything like it. We actually did far better overall than most fans expected

I'm sure you'll say that's Karma for our PPG promotion though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom