Home Match Day Thread 12/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Bolton Wanderers

This is where Gorrin was so good. He would drop into any of the defensive positions if any of them went forward, just instinct really but crucial to the way we play.
I've highlighted this as it's key I think. Both Brannagan and Kane will stick a foot in as needed but it's a mindset thing we're missing. Cam and Kane are both great players but they want to be on the ball and looking forward, Gordon's first thought is protecting the defence and sniffing out danger. As long as we've got Kane in that role we won't look as secure, even though he's clearly a better footballer technically.

I’d try Brown in a back 4 giving Seddon a rest.

Hate to say it, but I’d drop Brannagan back in the holding central midfield role (Gorrin) and either push Kane on or rest him too.

Three very poor goals to concede from a defensive point of view, though all three were very good finishes.

First - There is absolutely no way that seconds after going ahead, and from the kick-off, that your fullback should be left 1 on 1. I also don't think Stevens will be happy letting a shot across him in from that distance.

Second - Cross comes in too easily, poor headed clearance from McNally, Fossey is stood in acres of space, assume he is Sykes' man because if you pause it as the cross is hit, Seddon is in the defensive line as you would expect for where the ball is coming from. Fossey is beyond Sykes.

Third - Narrow defensive line, allows for the ball to go down our left hand side, where the space always is (every game), Seddon is picking up their number 17, Sykes gets caught between tracking Fossey or coming towards the man with the ball, and McGuane doesn't press the passer of the ball fast enough. If you pause it at the beginning of the move, our defensive line actually looks okay with an arc of 5, but the 4 players in the middle of the pitch are in a clump - Kane & McGuane practically next to each other on the halfway line - and Bolton spot this and get the ball wide.
It's a great pass for Fossey to run onto, good cross, and good finish. But of no surprise at all, that it came from a ball into the space behind our left sided players.
I think shots across him is an issue for Stevens, there have been a fair few scored when shots are across him. Yesterday's travelled a long long way and his angle was pretty good so somewhat disappointing that it went in

He is still developing but I suspect Eastwood would have been hounded by the fans for that one

I've not seen if anyone has replied to this but this isn't the case. They played an attacking style and missed the playoffs every season, the season before that got stopped early they scored more goals than anyone but still missed out. They finally went up last season when they only conceded 46 goals, we're already on 41 with 14 games still to play. They didn't get promoted until they sorted the defence out.

The key is that it isn't either/or. Under Appleton we played brilliant football but we could mix it as well. No one is talking about revolution, just a few tweaks to add a bit of size/know how amongst the squad and have some different options rather than almost completely neglecting the defence and having 3 versions of the same striker.

What about the seasons they went up previously and were a bit of a yo yo club under Ferguson, the seasons when Mackail-Smith etc were there - that’s when I meant. They were winning 4-3, 3-2 week in, week out it seemed.

Taylor has to get a bit of a rest. Though we still think of him as a youngster playing against Histon he’s now in his 30s.

Take him off at 70 minutes unless extenuating circumstances.

I think shots across him is an issue for Stevens, there have been a fair few scored when shots are across him. Yesterday's travelled a long long way and his angle was pretty good so somewhat disappointing that it went in

He is still developing but I suspect Eastwood would have been hounded by the fans for that one

Shots across him became a massive issue for Eastwood.. if it’s now becoming a trend for Stevens then once again you have to question what they’re working on in the week….

No we don’t, just need Seddon to do his primary role which is to defend first and attack at the right time.
All 3 goals yesterday he was in the right position for a defender based on the situation unfolding (possibly too narrow, but that is our defensive style it seems) and we still conceded due to others not making the right decisions.

There's a lot of talk about Seddon not being able to defend, and I can't comment on that specifically because I've not seen enough of his performances in detail, but what I will say is that full-back, especially if they play as wing-backs as the modern style dictates, is one of the hardest positions on the pitch to play.

No other player has a greater responsibility to attack and defend, and if a goal is conceded from wide positions the full back is always the one who gets the blame. Now, I don't know if that blame is justified in Seddon's case, but there are two positions that help the full back out massively: the winger and the holding midfielder. The holding midfielder can drop back to almost a back three with the two CBs out of possession and on opposition counter attacks. (This allows the left-sided CB to cover wider.) And the winger can help by tracking back on occasion to avoid the full back being doubled up by the opposition's winger and full back.

At the moment we don't have a natural defensive midfielder, and against Bolton we were playing with Sykes on the left. Seddon's had so many partners on the left this season (Whyte/Bodin/Holland/Cooper/Williams/Sykes) that an understanding hasn't developed in terms of when to track back and support.

No we don’t, just need Seddon to do his primary role which is to defend first and attack at the right time.
Problem is that the 'primary role' of a modern day full back depends on the team is set up. Seddon's is to get forward, and it seems that's what he's best at. Do you really want to return to the heady days of Hunt and Newey?

Problem is that the 'primary role' of a modern day full back depends on the team is set up. Seddon's is to get forward, and it seems that's what he's best at. Do you really want to return to the heady days of Hunt and Newey?
No, but rotate between Seddon & Long, so if Long goes then Seddon needs to be think more defensively and vice versa

Stevens does seem to be conceding an awful lot of goals from around the edge of the box. Well placed shots maybe but he’s got to be getting to more than he does. After Eastwoods performances when he stood in - and Stevens slight down turn in form - I think it’s fair to say the gap has closed and I’d hope Eastwood is under serious consideration for a recall. Stevens mistakes aren’t alarming ones, which might get him off the hook, but his starting point needs looking at when he’s getting done both across him and from reasonable distance.

One thing to bear in mind for the first goal was that it went through Long's legs so Stevens probably didn't get sight of it until it was well on its' way, not saying he shouldn't save it but just giving a different angle to the debate.

Also why is it that every player that isn't in the team (in this case Gorrin) suddenly becomes the answer to all our problems, had we nicked that 3-2 his name wouldn't have been mentioned.

One thing to bear in mind for the first goal was that it went through Long's legs so Stevens probably didn't get sight of it until it was well on its' way, not saying he shouldn't save it but just giving a different angle to the debate.
100% right. He has had some harsh criticism on here for this goal like he majorly fucked up when in actual fact he was in the correct position.
He was completely unsighted when the guy shot.
Normally, as a keeper, you get to take a step in the direction the shot is going before diving but he never got the time to do that.
People would (quite rightly) been fuming if he had been caught out at his near post but I think his positioning on this goal was just about perfect. As a keeper, there are times when you just have to accept that you cannot save everything.
Annoying to say it, but this attack would not have happened if that player was tracked.

Back
Top Bottom