Away Match Day Thread 12/03/2022 L1: Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a very good win considering all the adversity.
All those who worried about Mous needn't have, he's a top pro. The worry is though that he'll come up against better players if he has to play for a while. McNally as I've said before is going to be a very good player, he already is in many ways. He still has a bit of rawness in his game but that will eventually iron out.
Williams and Kane did a decent shift. We did miss Baldock badly though. His movement, speed of thought and partnership with Taylor are top notch. Let's hope if we get to the play offs he'll be fit to play, we'll need him. Not just him but Browne and Moore hopefully.
Also a bit worried there'll be more covid in the camp this week. Keeping fingers crossed and all that!!

Bit confused by the slagging off on the ref. He wasn't great but fairly standard for L1. Gave us a pen that looked pretty obvious and turned down a pen where looked like Taylor was clipped.

Gave a few 50/50s to us when he probably could have gone the other way. Other than that was only really the cross that hit Seddon's hand which was clearly down by his side in a natural position, so wasn't handball - is it mainly that they're moaning about? Or do Refs normally take the ball and whack it in the net for them, given the Shrews players inability to be able to do so very often themselves?

All a bit odd really.

Bit confused by the slagging off on the ref. He wasn't great but fairly standard for L1. Gave us a pen that looked pretty obvious and turned down a pen where looked like Taylor was clipped.

Gave a few 50/50s to us when he probably could have gone the other way. Other than that was only really the cross that hit Seddon's hand which was clearly down by his side in a natural position, so wasn't handball - is it mainly that they're moaning about? Or do Refs normally take the ball and whack it in the net for them, given the Shrews players inability to be able to do so very often themselves?

All a bit odd really.
I didn't go but have heard no explanation of why the referee was so poor/ for us?
It sounded as if the big decisions were all right.

I only saw one completely wrong decision and that was down to a lino. We got a throw when it could only have been a free kick to us or a throw to them, because our fouled player knocked the ball out. Apart from that it was all uncontroversial (unless anyone’s disputing the handball/peno).

The ref complaints are really odd. We certainly didn't get every decision our way, maybe a couple soft fouls. From iFollow viewing myself and the guy I watch with spotted several OUFC throw ins that went the wrong way, and 2 offsides missed that led to Shrews attacks (mainly on the lino). The penalty was as blatant a penalty you'll see. Even with yellow tinted specs on, if that's the worst ref they've had this season then they've been extremely lucky because compared to some of the absolute stinkers we've had a few times this year he was positively brilliant; he got every big call spot on. Did he favour us? Maybe slightly, certainly not enough for me to notice during the game, but the Shrews fans are talking like he put in a Kettle-esque performance.

You see a different ref if you lose....................... that was about my reply to my mate. :)

I only saw one completely wrong decision and that was down to a lino. We got a throw when it could only have been a free kick to us or a throw to them, because our fouled player knocked the ball out. Apart from that it was all uncontroversial (unless anyone’s disputing the handball/peno).

Yes, they are disputing our penalty on their forum and that it should have been a penalty for the Seddon 'handball'. Typical forum really although some are saying the Ref got those decisions right. They are also complaining about some of the throw ins given and the foul count (12 fouls by them, 3 by us).

Cotterill moaning though about the penalty is amusing as it was blatant.

Just back from a weekend up there, a few random thoughts..

Anyone else notice how narrow they marked the pitch? There was a lot of grass on the outer side of both touch lines. Clearly a deliberate ploy, and a narrow pitch must make it more easier to defend.

Mous really was excellent. Cleverly played within his limitations and eased himself into the game, a couple of times he played safe and put the ball in the stands etc. I thought Shrewsbury were pretty average, but regardless to play that well with the amount of football he has played over the last couple of years was brilliant.

I called the 2nd Eastwood save when it happened. The ref gave it as a goal kick and hilariously you could see Eastwood wanted the credit for it but didn't want to give away a corner! The save from the header was top notch as well. I thought we looked a little iffy from corners, but Eastwood made a couple of saves that he really had no right to. Those saves were absolutely crucial in this game.

I don't think we played particularly well, partly due to the number of changes, and there were no real superstar performances. However there were glimpses of real quality - a great turn by McNally, the brilliant Kane pass for the shot on goal that led to the 1st goal, the calm finish by Taylor etc. Taylor took his goal well but had a relatively quiet game. We have to keep everything crossed that he stays fit and healthy, so much hinges on him. If we go 2 or 3 up in any games then he needs to come off, if any of the last couple of games are inconsequential then he needs resting / minimal minutes.

Walking back from the ground to the town centre I saw the hand bags incident. The lads I was with all heard the group singing Oxford songs, and our first thought was that it was great seeing a group of young fans travelling up and supporting the team. A lot of us have worried about a lack of younger fans coming through, be it real young'uns or teenagers. So fair play to them for coughing up the money for train tickets etc, and having a day out with their mates supporting the yellows. It really was nothing, a few young Shrewsbury fans had a pop and then quickly scarpered. The funniest thing was a copper chasing one of the Shrewsbury fans and giving up after 100 yards. Police fitness tests must not be up to much! We had a laugh with him when he walked back past us, the young Shrewsbury fan wasn't exactly athletic looking either!!

We hung around Shrewsbury for a few hours afterwards. Loads of nice old pubs, mixed with some newer looking bars. I know Shrewsbury quite well, but had forgotten what a nice place it was.

A crucial, solid but unspectacular win - just what was needed.

Yes, it clearly looked as though they had narrowed the pitch. Wary of the Oxford wide-boys, Mr Cotterill?

I'd forgotten how awkward it is getting back to town after the game.
We got a taxi to the Prince of Wales pre-match, and their coach to the game.
After, rather than get stuck in queues for buses, went to the Brooklands, which had a poor choice of beer.
No taxis available for at least half an hour.
Went to bus stop and must have been half an hour before one turned up even though they were due, and nearly ended up missing the train we wanted back.
"Next time", will just get straight back into town either bus, walk, or pre-book a taxi.

The dimensions of the pitch must be notified to the EFL at the start of each season and can then only be altered in exceptional circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom