5th Test 12-16 September 2019 The Oval

Wouldn't Sir Alistair be better employed as a batting coach for the test side than pundit on TMS?

At least no one has asked for James Vince to come back in

It looks like Tom Curran is out for the season, so not sure on timelines for NZ

Wouldn't Sir Alistair be better employed as a batting coach for the test side than pundit on TMS?

I dunno - I'm not sure technique was necessarily his strong point. He was functional but not exactly textbook or elegant.
He just had the perfect mental makeup for an opening batsman - unflappable, patient, and stubborn with a seeming ability to concentrate forever.

I'm not sure it's a given that he'd be any good at teaching others to play the way that he did.

I dunno - I'm not sure technique was necessarily his strong point. He was functional but not exactly textbook or elegant.
He just had the perfect mental makeup for an opening batsman - unflappable, patient, and stubborn with a seeming ability to concentrate forever.

I'm not sure it's a given that he'd be any good at teaching others to play the way that he did.
Atherton on Sky said he also had no problem with concentrating for long periods and that it was probably his biggest asset. The mental side seems to be the area of the game most affected by the growing influence of white ball cricket.

I think I'm right in saying that Sibley is the only man in Division One of the CC with over a 1000 runs.

And he has 1324, with five tons, two of which were doubles, at an average of 70. 24 years old as well.

Should be a very short part of the selection meeting, picking him.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that Bayliss is no longer part of the coaching setup. We'll get a read about where the tensions were, over whom...

Back
Top Bottom