Away Match Build Up 15/04/2022 L1: Fleetwood Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid that we bottled it and will not make the play offs.

In a nutshell.

Dress it up how you like but we have bottled it. We were 10 seconds away from being on a 4 match losing streak at the most crucial, pressurised part of the season. We have been truly dreadful in dealing with that pressure and expectation. The season is gone, I think we all know that deep down.

Looking at the fixtures for the teams around us over Easter weekend
Friday
Sunderland Vs Shrewsbury I'd go home win
Wycombe Vs Plymouth I think will be a draw
Fleetwood Vs Oxford surely an away win
Sat
Mk Dons Vs Sheffield Wednesday I'd go home win
So if that happens it will put us 1 point outside play offs I think 🤔
Then Monday
Wimbledon Vs Wycombe you'd probably say Wycombe will win but you never know
Plymouth Vs Sunderland hopefully Plymouth do us a favour
Tuesday
Sheffield Wednesday Vs Crewe home win for me
Oxford Vs mk Dons hopefully home win
After those games over Easter IF we are a point outside play offs then I think we will finish 6th if we are more than a point I think it's good night for the season

Looking at the fixtures for the teams around us over Easter weekend
Friday
Sunderland Vs Shrewsbury I'd go home win
Wycombe Vs Plymouth I think will be a draw
Fleetwood Vs Oxford surely an away win
Sat
Mk Dons Vs Sheffield Wednesday I'd go home win
So if that happens it will put us 1 point outside play offs I think 🤔
Then Monday
Wimbledon Vs Wycombe you'd probably say Wycombe will win but you never know
Plymouth Vs Sunderland hopefully Plymouth do us a favour
Tuesday
Sheffield Wednesday Vs Crewe home win for me
Oxford Vs mk Dons hopefully home win
After those games over Easter IF we are a point outside play offs then I think we will finish 6th if we are more than a point I think it's good night for the season
Sunderland and Sheff Wed's game in hand isn't until 25th April.

A long wait!

Sunderland and Sheff Wed's game in hand isn't until 25th April.

A long wait!
But Sunderland game is against Rotherham so not a guaranteed victory for Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday are playing Fleetwood who could be scrapping for survival as we found out against morcambe no guarantees in this league this season

We’ve gotta win our next 2 so we’re going to an out of sorts Rotherham with something to play for

Well watching Oxford the last 3 seasons has been one big rollercoaster ride so surely we are due a run of results now we've had the big drop.

This league this season is just crazy who would have thought Burton would not only hold Plymouth to a 0-0 but also Wigan in consecutive games and then Rotherham who not so long ago looked like running away with the title now are looking like play offs at best it's a crazy season who would rule out us going on a four game winning streak now to just pinch the last play off spot
I would.

We would need Wednesday or Sunderland to drop at least 7 points in their last 5, or Wycombe to drop 4 in their last 4, whilst winning all our games to have any chance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We can get to 81 points.

Wigan and MK Dons have already bettered that.

Rotherham need 2 points from 5 games (Ipswich, Burton, Oxford, Sunderland, Gills)

Plymouth need 4 points from 4 games (Wycombe, Sunderland, Wigan, MK Dons)

Sheff Wed need 9 points from 5 games (MK Dons, Crewe, Wycombe, Fleetwood, Portsmouth)

Sunderland also 9 points from 5 games (Shrewsbury, Plymouth, Cambridge, Rotherham, Morecombe)

Wycombe need 9 points from 4 games (Plymouth, Wimbledon, Sheff Wed, Burton)

Still a huge amount to ask even if we do win all 4.

We can get to 81 points.

Wigan and MK Dons have already bettered that.

Rotherham need 2 points from 5 games (Ipswich, Burton, Oxford, Sunderland, Gills)

Plymouth need 4 points from 4 games (Wycombe, Sunderland, Wigan, MK Dons)

Sheff Wed need 9 points from 5 games (MK Dons, Crewe, Wycombe, Fleetwood, Portsmouth)

Sunderland also 9 points from 5 games (Shrewsbury, Plymouth, Cambridge, Rotherham, Morecombe)

Wycombe need 9 points from 4 games (Plymouth, Wimbledon, Sheff Wed, Burton)

Still a huge amount to ask even if we do win all 4.
IF we were to win all 4, I think we'd go past Wycombe, then the rest would be in the hands of Plymouth. If they go nuts we go past Sheff Wed, if they implode we go past them. I do like the idea of Portsmouth giving us a play-off assist for the 3rd year in a row, so that would be the perfect scenario.

As you say though, big ask.

We would need Wednesday or Sunderland to drop at least 7 points in their last 5, or Wycombe to drop 4 in their last 4, whilst winning all our games to have any chance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Realistically yes. And we need to catch two of the above of course. Or one of the above and Rotherham to lose their last 5 (possible if improbable).

If we 'only' get 10 points that takes Rotherham out of our sights and obviously requires 2 of the other 3 sides to drop a further 2 points each, so we'd need 2 from:
- Wycombe to get no more than 6 from 12 (possible).
- Sunderland no more than 6 from 15.
- Wednesday no more than 6 from 15.
- Technically we could still catch Plymouth if they were to lose the rest.

This would probably hinge on either Wednesday or Sunderland going on a drawing spree and failing to win games they're expected to (i.e. Fleetwood away for the former, Shrews/Cambridge at home for the latter).

If we get 12 points, we'd need 2 from:
- Wycombe to get no more than 8 from 12.
- Sunderland to get no more than 8 from 15.
- Wednesday to get no more than 8 from 15.
- Rotherham to lose all games.
- Plymouth to get no more than 2 points.

More do-able when you look at Wednesday and Sunderland's remaining fixtures. Both have been hit and miss on their travels and the home games are less likely to be enough in this scenario.

IF we were to win all 4, I think we'd go past Wycombe, then the rest would be in the hands of Plymouth. If they go nuts we go past Sheff Wed, if they implode we go past them. I do like the idea of Portsmouth giving us a play-off assist for the 3rd year in a row, so that would be the perfect scenario.

Pompey could still overtake us 😉

Certainly at least one club with a lot of points will miss out, I hope it's Wycombe but it may well be Sunderland .. we can enjoy that at least, and the wails of those beaten in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom