Away Match Day Thread 16/11/2021 FA Cup 1st R. Replay: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

lets not forget Forde was not tracking back on his man and snuffing out the shot..... and, Long was marking/ covering his man on the near post, I cant think of many defenders at any level who can cover two opposing players simultaneously?

BTW, If you look at the time of my post it was in the heat of the (frustrating) moment, 'live' at the Memorial ground -I had no replays to pour over after the event...., just the one-off, live-action, in real-time there and then.... and it did seem at the time ( live), to me, that their 4th was a clanger from Easty

Long, Forde & Easty all could've, probably should've done better with that one

yes, I agree we should've won it first time of asking

3 times ( that I can think of) KR has made a triple substitution, 2 of them ( Sw*nd*n at home last season & Last night) we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, the other was the first attempt at this tie, and we we chucked away a lead, right at the end, to draw. Maybe KR shouldn't make triple substitutions ? .... thankfully he is unlikely to for the rest of this campaign , with only 3 subs avail in league games ( opposed to 5 subs in fa cup )
To be fair we went 3-1 up last night after the subs, having been behind .. but yeah, we seem to have problems this season after subs come on, even if they seem to be the right choices.

I get that football fans are generally ambitious - and most are significantly more ambitious than me - but at what point do we stop, calm down and think "You know what, the club has made a ton of progress over the last decade, we're in a pretty good place, let's just sit back, relax and enjoy it for a while"?

Back-to-back League One playoff appearances, and every chance this year of making it three-in-a-row.
That's actually over-performance for a club of our current size and resources. By any financial metric you choose to use - attendances, revenues etc. - we "should" slot in somewhere in the middle of League One today.

And, as I was saying at the weekend, League One is a great league. Really good level of football; fantastic mix of teams from the struggling giants through to the minnows punching above their weight (I think the fact that we're going to play league games at the Stadium of Light & Hillsborough, but also the Wham Stadium in Accrington and the Mazuma stadium in Morecambe in the same season is awesome); it's balanced, varied and unpredictable.

Which is not to say that we shouldn't get irate and complain when we **** up as badly as we did last night - of course we're going to.
Lord knows, I've criticized KR plenty this season for the absurdly lopsided squad he's put together, and for some of the idiotic substitutions he's made. The man often drives me nuts.

But maybe, just maybe as a fanbase, we could all take a breath, recognize the progress that has been made and enjoy watching a good team in a good division for a while?

Besides which, if OUFC is going to see sustainable on-the-field progression beyond where we are now, we have to see significant progress off-the-pitch first. Unless our owners turn out to be sugar daddies of the maddest kind, who don't care about burning huge piles of their own cash, it's simply not possible to compete financially in the Championship whilst locked into a bad rental deal for a 12.5k capacity Kasstad.
You continue to be the best poster on this forum.

You continue to be the best poster on this forum.
I get that football fans are generally ambitious - and most are significantly more ambitious than me - but at what point do we stop, calm down and think "You know what, the club has made a ton of progress over the last decade, we're in a pretty good place, let's just sit back, relax and enjoy it for a while"?

Back-to-back League One playoff appearances, and every chance this year of making it three-in-a-row.
That's actually over-performance for a club of our current size and resources. By any financial metric you choose to use - attendances, revenues etc. - we "should" slot in somewhere in the middle of League One today.

And, as I was saying at the weekend, League One is a great league. Really good level of football; fantastic mix of teams from the struggling giants through to the minnows punching above their weight (I think the fact that we're going to play league games at the Stadium of Light & Hillsborough, but also the Wham Stadium in Accrington and the Mazuma stadium in Morecambe in the same season is awesome); it's balanced, varied and unpredictable.

Which is not to say that we shouldn't get irate and complain when we **** up as badly as we did last night - of course we're going to.
Lord knows, I've criticized KR plenty this season for the absurdly lopsided squad he's put together, and for some of the idiotic substitutions he's made. The man often drives me nuts.

But maybe, just maybe as a fanbase, we could all take a breath, recognize the progress that has been made and enjoy watching a good team in a good division for a while?

Besides which, if OUFC is going to see sustainable on-the-field progression beyond where we are now, we have to see significant progress off-the-pitch first. Unless our owners turn out to be sugar daddies of the maddest kind, who don't care about burning huge piles of their own cash, it's simply not possible to compete financially in the Championship whilst locked into a bad rental deal for a 12.5k capacity Kasstad.
All valid stuff Tony but last night wasn’t great timing to take stock on ‘club progress.’

It was a shocking result, the team showed an abject lack of professionalism and it’s ended a few careers at Oxford United.

Our club’s a bit of a national laughing stock today, aren’t you feeling furious?

Going out of all the cups at this stage makes Robinson's job harder in the sense that there's no real competitive football for the fringe players. A lot of those aren't going to be too happy with missing out on the 18 completely or getting 5 minutes every other weekend. The cups are definitely worth persevering with until at least the new year just to keep the season bubbling and potential big cup fixtures keep the fans interested.

A lot of those aren't going to be too happy with missing out on the 18 completely or getting 5 minutes every other weekend.
So? Two solutions then: Step up and do your best to force your way into the team, or you leave? At this point, I really don’t think KR cares for sentiment. The new owners have a clear roadmap, and if we’re not promoted within the next 2/3 seasons, at a push, KR will be gone. Keep Hanson, Agyei etc happy, or keep your employers happy? I think we know the answer to that..

All valid stuff Tony but last night wasn’t great timing to take stock on ‘club progress.’

It was a shocking result, the team showed an abject lack of professionalism and it’s ended a few careers at Oxford United.

Our club’s a bit of a national laughing stock today, aren’t you feeling furious?

I think furious would be an overstatement.
Pissed off, no doubt. Frustrated by the lack of squad depth in multiple positions that was glaringly obvious to everyone but KR back in August, and has now directly contributed to an embarassing early FA Cup exit, absolutely.

I just don't think that one horrific cup result should lead to a outpouring of anguish and anxiety on the club's progress (as the poster I quoted, and others, were starting to do).
It was bad - we're still doing well in general.

For that matter, I think national laughing stock is a bit of a stretch too.
Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed - and I'm sure the folks up Pig Hill are having a good laugh today - but I can't imagine that one mid-sized lower league team losing to another one even registered with most national football fans. You've got to lose to Buxton or St Albans before that happens

I think furious would be an overstatement.
Pissed off, no doubt. Frustrated by the lack of squad depth in multiple positions that was glaringly obvious to everyone but KR back in August, and has now directly contributed to an embarassing early FA Cup exit, absolutely.

I just don't think that one horrific cup result should lead to a outpouring of anguish and anxiety on the club's progress (as the poster I quoted, and others, were starting to do).
It was bad - we're still doing well in general.

For that matter, I think national laughing stock is a bit of a stretch too.
Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed - and I'm sure the folks up Pig Hill are having a good laugh today - I can't imagine that one mid-sized lower league team losing to another one even registered with most national football fans. You've got to lose to Buxton or St Albans before that happens
Possibly Marlow ....and that season didn't end too shabbily for us 😉

We finished 7th just outside the play offs .
Although I was obviously getting confused with the season after ! Too old and too many beers etc !

Man, I've only looked at two threads on here today (the Jack Stevens thread being the other) and both are now harking back to 94/95!

Marlow is an open sore. Lunchtime kick off, subsequent humiliation, Rosie playing for them and Public Houses closed at 2.30pm. All in all a total nightmare.
And I played against John Ceaser the two goal hero in the Wycombe Sunday League that same season !! Absolutely had the mick ripped out of me after that result, and lost at home to Wyc . Jeez not good thinking back, lucky I was single and could find solace in beer !

Back
Top Bottom