Home Match Day Thread +++ 18/02/20 OUFC v AFC Wimbledon +++

The Wombles were absolutely abject yesterday - really, truly awful.
But the fact of the matter is that noone had beaten them by more than two goals all season, until last night.

Which just says to me that when we get it going, there's not a side in League One that can match the quality of our movement, passing and general attacking play. We're outstanding.

But when we play well, we generally do so starting from deep and playing it through the middle of the park. So if the opposition is willing to pack the midfield and/or run themselves into the ground with an aggressive high press, then we can be blunted. We're not as good if you work to cut off that supply and force us to go long more often (either down the middle or the channels). I suspect this is why Peterborough are by far the leading scorers in the league - because they can play a bit, but Toney is also a bit of a beast who can make something out of a lump upfield.

AFCW didn't try and disrupt our strengths at all - which makes me suspect that Glyn Hodges is either lazy or a bit of a moron......

However, a earlier poster mentioned about the home atmosphere which is quite a hot topic to answer but I'll give you my take Fwiw. Yes tbh ours could be better but I'm absolutely sure if the results again go on a real top bender then the last few matches at home this season will see the atmosphere I'm sure improve no end.

Last night was an odd one for atmosphere. I believe there was a ease around the support last night, a quiet confidence.

The crowd didn't get on the team's back when we failed to convert our early chances because we knew we'd score nor was there the roar to push on later in the game as AFC were broken by then.

I agree. It is difficult to drop anyone after last night, but as superb as we were, I'd be amazed (and even more bloody optimistic) if we tear through Ipswich in the same way. I'd probably play Gorrin deep in place of Holland, and Browne playing on the left. That is exceptionally tough on Holland who looked a very good player, but he will get plenty more chances.
I didnt have to change my name they at last went forward Eastwood came off his line we scored 5 what more could I ask for maybe 6.

The Wombles were absolutely abject yesterday - really, truly awful.
But the fact of the matter is that noone had beaten them by more than two goals all season, until last night.

Which just says to me that when we get it going, there's not a side in League One that can match the quality of our movement, passing and general attacking play. We're outstanding.

But when we play well, we generally do so starting from deep and playing it through the middle of the park. So if the opposition is willing to pack the midfield and/or run themselves into the ground with an aggressive high press, then we can be blunted. We're not as good if you work to cut off that supply and force us to go long more often (either down the middle or the channels). I suspect this is why Peterborough are by far the leading scorers in the league - because they can play a bit, but Toney is also a bit of a beast who can make something out of a lump upfield.

AFCW didn't try and disrupt our strengths at all - which makes me suspect that Glyn Hodges is either lazy or a bit of a moron......
Good post. I reckon Super Danny Agyei could be the man for when we need to go long. Runs the channels with pace and power and has shown that he can hold it up.

Not a word about how good we were. What a ......
He says “how they aren’t top of the league I don’t know, they’re massively underperforming“ which is a sort of praise. True too.

Also, at 2.45 he says they got blown away.... his comments good enough for me. Not sure he needs to say any more about us, why should he care?

Strange, I’m really not sold on Forde at RB -
I don’t think he can defend, players seem to ghost or run or pass past him at will, and his crossing is patchy at best - a hell of a lot of his crosses don’t clear the first man, including one which we scored from last night after a lucky deflection. I’d rather see Long back there (and much much more would like to see Cadden back) but I’ll re-examine my ideas after seeing everyone else on here being so positive about him.

Agree with this, not convinced about Forde playing RB. Looks okay going forward, but defensively looks vulnerable, so against better opposition he could get exposed.

He played well, you can’t deny that

He played ok and made a couple of good passes, but he also made some poor easy passes e.g. I think Dickie saved him at one point.

At times he looked like he was struggling to actually kick the ball!

He’s not fit enough, too slow and would expose us against half a better team than Wimbledon were last night.

He played ok and made a couple of good passes, but he also made some poor easy passes e.g. I think Dickie saved him at one point.

At times he looked like he was struggling to actually kick the ball!

He’s not fit enough, too slow and would expose us against half a better team than Wimbledon were last night.

Sykes and Browne made poor easy passes in that game and I’ve seen Henry and Dickie do the same recently/this season as well.

He didn’t look like he was struggling to kick the ball to me. I doubt we’ll see much more of him due to Gorrin’s quality and the way we play, but I’d be happy for him to play more.

Back
Top Bottom