Away Match Day Thread 19/02/2022 L1: Charlton Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl must have read my comments from Friday night with playing 3 centre backs so i think must take some of the credit for this clean sheet, performance and result......

That is a tremendous effort from our supporters, let’s hope the team can reward us and starting with NOT CONCEDING two goals would be a start and give us half a chance of getting a positive result at The Valley....
I wonder if Karl will play 3 centre backs and two wing backs at Charlton like we did in the 2nd half against Sheffield Wednesday, we certainly have TRY and DO something to shore things up at the back and let our midfield and our attackers get on with things at the other end of the pitch........

He must have read mine aswel because I said play Taylor and baldock together and they will cause problems and what did they do Taylor x2 baldock x1

Firstly, truly shocking news about Joey Beauchamp, he was a real idol for so many people when he was playing for OUFC. Our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.💛

So onto the game yesterday.
Superb is all I can say. Yes Charlton were truly dreadful, and offered very little after the first ten mins, we really expected them to offer so much more. In spite of this, we were excellent - amazing goals, great team play and battling, superb support from a great turn out of OUFC fans, and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

I do have a couple of observations tho....
-Our managing the game (ie the sh**housery!) is getting quite extreme now hence the stupid yellow for Brown, Stevens catching the ball throwing the ball up the pitch, Matty slowing every free kick down....yes we need an element of it but do we want a reputation as only doing that? We didn't need to yesterday really, we were so comfortable. Other teams are starting to notice it, I'm sure the officials will, and we really don't want to be called the new Wycombe or Stevenage do we?!
-Williams must play regularly now, he shows fight, control, some aerial ability, and an incredible ball to Matty for his second. He did well on the left but I'd like to see him on the right.
-I think Sykes, tho he played really well yesterday out wide, is a bit wasted there, his drive is more penetrating and useful in midfield....but if we are only playing two centrally then not sure where else he plays....maybe the Whyte role yesterday (tho Gav was on fire too!)....we'll lose him in the summer which is a shame as he is so skilful and is good at the dark arts too.
-We were lucky that our lack of defensive depth wasn't tested too much, McNally was very solid and strong throughout, and we were lucky Brown wasn't tested too much when he came on, a good game for him to get some time playing and working with the defence. If the back 3 can tighten up and work as a team maybe Seddon could thrive in the LWB role as he can get forward and create and is quick but he needed a bit of a rest to recharge himself and get the fans off his back.
-The bloody traffic on the M40 and A40 was shocking yesterday!! Why did the whole world decide to travel to London at 11am yesterday?!

Anyway, despite the JB news😢 it was a good day out, onto Crewe now, I'll hopefully be there, it certainly will be an interesting final 13 games!
COYY's!!

How many did we take in the end? Given the weather situation if we had over two thousand that’s fantastic.

Firstly, truly shocking news about Joey Beauchamp, he was a real idol for so many people when he was playing for OUFC. Our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.💛

Superb is all I can say. Yes Charlton were truly dreadful, and offered very little after the first ten mins, we really expected them to offer so much more. In spite of this, we were excellent - amazing goals, great team play and battling, superb support from a great turn out of OUFC fans, and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

-Our managing the game (ie the sh**housery!) is getting quite extreme now hence the stupid yellow for Brown, Stevens catching the ball throwing the ball up the pitch, Matty slowing every free kick down....yes we need an element of it but do we want a reputation as only doing that? We didn't need to yesterday really, we were so comfortable. Other teams are starting to notice it, I'm sure the officials will, and we really don't want to be called the new Wycombe or Stevenage do we?!
-Williams must play regularly now, he shows fight, control, some aerial ability, and an incredible ball to Matty for his second. He did well on the left but I'd like to see him on the right.
-I think Sykes, tho he played really well yesterday out wide, is a bit wasted there, his drive is more penetrating and useful in midfield....but if we are only playing two centrally then not sure where else he plays....maybe the Whyte role yesterday (tho Gav was on fire too!)....we'll lose him in the summer which is a shame as he is so skilful and is good at the dark arts too.
-We were lucky that our lack of defensive depth wasn't tested too much, McNally was very solid and strong throughout, and we were lucky Brown wasn't tested too much when he came on, a good game for him to get some time playing and working with the defence. If the back 3 can tighten up and work as a team maybe Seddon could thrive in the LWB role as he can get forward and create and is quick but he needed a bit of a rest to recharge himself and get the fans off his back.
-The bloody traffic on the M40 and A40 was shocking yesterday!! Why did the whole world decide to travel to London at 11am yesterday?!

Anyway, despite the JB news😢 it was a good day out, onto Crewe now, I'll hopefully be there, it certainly will be an interesting final 13 games!
COYY's!!
Agree. I spoke to a Charlton fan afterwards. He thought we were very good. But couldn't understand why we kept wasting time, especially at 3 up when they were down to ten men.

Know a few who were due to pay on the gate but couldn't get there due to canceled trains. Good effort from all.

I already had a ticket, and couldn’t make it for the same reason. Given the outcome, I’m doubly upset.

COYY's!!

Agree with you re the game management, there is a lot to love about OUFC at the moment but players dropping like stones
isnt one of them, no problem slowing the game down but what we are doing is anti football imo and its not a great look.
My impression on the Brown yellow was that he genuinely didnt see a pass and was unlucky in that that he paid for what
had been going on before with the refs patience having being worn out.

Baldock could turn out to be the signing of the January window, he showed his Championship class yesterday and you can see that Taylor and him are loving playing together.
Keep them both fit and show the defensive resilience we saw yesterday then who knows where we’ll end up.

Baldock could turn out to be the signing of the January window, he showed his Championship class yesterday and you can see that Taylor and him are loving playing together.
Keep them both fit and show the defensive resilience we saw yesterday then who knows where we’ll end up.
early days ... after one game with them both starting

but Baldock and Taylor could be the most deadly OUFC pairing since Aldrige and Hamilton

Yes...I feel you may be right, we may well be hitting good form from now...Baldock is a little gem of a player.
Keep working on the defence and we'll be in with a good shout.

All I’ve seen there is Oxford highlights, I’d be embarrassed if I was a Charlton fan, not one attack shown by them.

They only show 2 efforts from Charlton on the iFollow extended highlights iirc.

All I’ve seen there is Oxford highlights, I’d be embarrassed if I was a Charlton fan, not one attack shown by them.

They showed Clare’s attack, to be fair.

I took my girls to the West End for a show yesterday and ended up on an 11am train from Oxford to Marylebone instead of Paddington due to cancelled journeys.

Was very enjoyable to be on a packed train filled with fellow supporters, and to hear shouts of “Yellows” as we were walking out of the station and into the capital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom