Home Match Day Thread +++ 19/04/2019 OUFC v Charlton Athletic Match Day Thread +++

He did for Jerome Sinclair stopping a 2 on 1 with the keeper. Their keeper should have gone immediately after when he pushed Drysdale also.
I saw that push too. The only thing I can think off was that the ref thought it was an accident otherwise straight red with long ban in my view.

But actually - is he though?

I had an extremely (alright, slightly) comprehensive trawl through Law 12 on TheFA.com and from my reading, it’s really very discretionary. The only truly relevant clause I could find is that the goalkeeper is subject to the same restrictions as other players outside the box.

That there’s a mandatory send-off for a ‘keeper handling outside the area appears to be imaginary! Happy to stand corrected if another can find it, but surprised if it’s not in the laws according to The FA.

He probably (and I state again, probably) went for the interpretation of:

"DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs."

Does the attacker have a goalscoring opportunity though? I'd say no, personally. If a player tries to lob the keeper and they handle outside the area it's quite cut and dried, if he slides out of the area on wet grass with the ball in his hands what then?

Tough one, but I agree there is nothing intrinsically there in the rules as to "handling outside = straight red".

Was their pen definitely a pen? Difficult to see on the highlights.

I would say no, no, and no again. I'd have been screaming for it if it was the other way round, but it looked really soft. The ref was very odd today. He was giving us nothing for 20 mins, then seemed to give us everything, then changed back again. It seemed very much all about him. If he hadn't sent off Eastwood, I very much doubt their lad would've got a red card.

Great team performance today. God I wish Nelson was staying. Think he’s been the difference between us staying up/avoiding relegation, so glad he didn’t go in January as I think things could have been so different.

Last edited:
I would say no, no, and no again. I'd have been screaming for it if it was the other way round, but it looked really soft. The ref was very odd today. He was giving us nothing for 20 mins, then seemed to give us everything, then changed back again. It seemed very much all about him. If he hadn't sent off Eastwood, I very much doubt their lad would've got a red card.
From the North Stand it looked like a foul, Nelson did not play the ball and made contact with player, soft but it was a Penalty.

It looked 50/50 from my place in the East Stand. The ref couldn't wait to give it - no thinking time at all. Mind you, the penalty areas must have been very slippy - Charlton players kept falling over!

Just watched the highlights. (Yes, Oi woz at the game today, Jerome) and am watching Norwich Sheffield Wednesday. In both games the goalies took the ball outside the area. Eastwood was backtracking and the other one was coming forward....

1 red, and 1 yellow.

Don't you just love the consistency of. Officials? Perhaps Dermott Gallagher will comment on Ref Watch. I'm not holding my breath though.

What a match and what a great atmosphere. Always more satisfying to come from behind and silence a vocal away following!

We looked to be totally outclassed for the first 15 minutes but a great bit of skill by the hugely promising Sykes, a wonder finish by Nelson and top quality free kick by the 'born again' Garbutt. Sat with my son and, just before he took it, I reminded him of a free kick Garbutt took in his first pre season match for us in Ireland which went twenty yards over the bar and out of the ground. Predicted this one would fly in the top corner and it duly did!

World class double save by Stevens (the block with his left hand was exceptional), the two centre backs were immense (we have to push out the financial boat to re-sign Curtis) and the full backs are both heroes - great to see both Josh and Sam get standing ovations from the entire ground when making their long distance runs in injury time.

Sinclair ran himself into the ground as did Brannagan, and James Henry worked his socks off too. Only player arguably not at his best was Kashi. Brave decision to take him off and replace him with Mackie when we were down a man at that point but it worked a treat.

Whilst the ref made Mike Dean look like a shrinking violet, thought he got the major decisions right - clearly a penalty for them and a red card for Eastwood (the lack of protests by our players for both decisions tells the tale). If anything their straight red was harsh but he dived in at pace right in front of the ref which is never a good idea.

Best player for Charlton by far was their no 17 Aribo. Although, as someone near me put it, he dives more than Tom Daley, he was excellent for them - won the penalty, set up their chance which led to the great save in the second half and did a real number on Kashi, winning the ball off him on several occasions. Even chased back to make a goal saving tackle near the end. Quick feet, tricky and a real threat. Would have him over Lyle Taylor any day of the week.

Last edited:
I agree about their no 17. Everything they did well went through him. I thought he faded badly as an actual goal threat though as the match went on.

The penalty was harsh - certainly considering the last home game where Whyte was on the end of a massive shove in the box and it wasn't given. I'm not sure why such an officious Ref was so lenient on Charlton players diving. He warned 17 twice to stop it, but proved to be all bark and no bite.

The reason we struggled early on was their formation and what we were playing. Once we went back to the norm, we suddenly got a grip of the game and the players looked comfortable.

Charlton are clearly a decent team, and in the first 10 minutes we looked like it was going to be a typical end of season game when only one team has anything to play for. But like with recent weeks, we started doing the ugly things better. Kashi hassled, and despite not being to the same standard as recently, he disrupted Charlton. Brannaghan and Henry were also busy if not outstanding, and Garbutt and Sykes also pulled in a little to regain control of the midfield. Once we started getting that control, we seemed able to burst forward in all directions to support Sinclair who ran himself into the ground. Henry got forward and was sometimes guilty of taking the space Sinclair had, Sykes ran time and time again against their fullback and Garbutt also pushed their winger back.

As someone else mentioned, Nelson could have cleared the carpark 9 times out of 10 but absolutely buried it. Then Garbutt seemed to be offered half the goal to aim at but hit it with pace to give the keeper no chance. It was great to hear the could sing "Robbo, Robbo, what's the score" in reply to Charlton's earlier attempt, and it felt like a bit of a turning point with many fans seeming to recognise the changes in Robinson. On that note, he spoke with my daughter for ages before the game and really cares about the club and the fans. He might not be everyone's cup of splosh, but we could do a hell of a lot worse!

After taking the lead, I can't remember a point when I thought we'd concede. Dickie's distribution wasn't great, but alongside Nelson they cleaned up pretty much everything that came into the box. Long and Ruffels were again excellent at the back and with two long busting runs in the last couple of minutes.

As good as Sykes was, he was a luxury we could afford to be without so I guessed he'd be the one to make way for Eastwood's sloppiness (still not sure if it deserved a red!). Then Mackie came on to do what he does best.

All in all, a great game and gave plenty of reasons to look forward to next season. A few weeks ago we would have been expected to bring in two new full backs and a back up keeper (amongst others) in the summer. Long and Ruffels should hold their places and Jack Stevens has proved himself ready to back up Eastwood. I've heard that a couple of clubs expected to pick up Nelson are holding back (Sunderland?) so maybe there is a chance of keeping him after all? A 3 year deal, club captain and a big wedge of cash might sweeten any deal. We could be looking at £300k+ to get a like for like replacement or playing the waiting game for anyone out of contract so it might be worth chucking a big chunk of that his way to keep a settled back 4.

Garbutt, Kashi, Sinclair, Graham and Browne could all be available next year, and all appear very happy here. You would think that we would be at the front of the queue for any loan extensions or permanent deals if the asking prices were reasonable. Anyone should look at our form over the last couple of months and do everything possible to keep this going for next season. Either way, hats off to everyone who has put together this run and given us something to cheer this season. It's been a tough 18 months at the club but maybe we are finally on the way up.

Great performance yet again! Playing with some real confidence and defending so well.
If only we could keep this team together and add to it in the summer and hit the ground running the next!
One gripe, Sinclair should’ve put the game to bed. Three 1 vs 1 chances and he didn’t get a single shot away! But perhaps should’ve had a pen.
But front to back great game.

Brilliant match today, thoroughly enjoyable. Every player battled incredibly hard and I think we deserved the win.

I've really not been a fan of Garbutt (never referred to him as Garbage, mind), but today he had by far his best game for the club.

Robinson really has done a fantastic job in turning the ship around. I'm much happier going into next season with him as manager now. I just hope he gets the recruitment right over the summer.

Looking forward to Shrewsbury away now!

COYY

Back
Top Bottom