Home Match Day Thread +++ 19/04/2019 OUFC v Charlton Athletic Match Day Thread +++

Robinson had some foul abuse earlier in the season, some of it from people still posting. Some have handsomely recanted, others need to have a look at themselves. I still don’t think he’s the man to get us into the championship, but we haven’t got the money anyway. He’s a pretty decent and professional league 1 manager and that will do fine for now

As above. And his heart seems to be with the club. He deserves another season to show what he can deliver in a settled environment.

He probably (and I state again, probably) went for the interpretation of:

"DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY.

Agree 100% on both counts.

Drysdale has gotten himself excited about an opportunity to utilise an obscure rule, failed to count to 10 and use his loaf.

I’d need to see it again but would anticipate that Taylor had pretty much abandoned the contest when Eastwood beat him to it.

Drysdale has further let himself down by then failing to adequately punish a more obvious example of “denying a goal-scoring opportunity” 15 minutes later...based on the irrelevant occurrence that the ball then broke to Garbutt who (actually pulled up a bit before he) fluffed his lines. If you’re not going to punish cynical fouls Mr Drysdale, then they become a legitimate tactic in certain circumstances. Not what the game wants.

Agree 100% on both counts.

Drysdale has gotten himself excited about an opportunity to utilise an obscure rule, failed to count to 10 and use his loaf.

I’d need to see it again but would anticipate that Taylor had pretty much abandoned the contest when Eastwood beat him to it.

Drysdale has further let himself down by then failing to adequately punish a more obvious example of “denying a goal-scoring opportunity” 15 minutes later...based on the irrelevant occurrence that the ball then broke to Garbutt who (actually pulled up a bit before he) fluffed his lines. If you’re not going to punish cynical fouls Mr Drysdale, then they become a legitimate tactic in certain circumstances. Not what the game wants.

Is that not the point though?, the officials have 1 look in real time to make a split second decision. Officials make the decision (no need for that stupid var system) and everyone get's on with the game.

I think the Eastwood sending off helped us, first half charlton were a very good side, moving the ball quickly around the park.
After the sending off and the introduction of Stevens, the players upped their game the crowd got more involved, we are good at defending and don't concede many goals, charlton didn't help themselves by slowing their tempo down and trying to unpick our two banks of four, this played into our hands, yes they did have a chance or two until the ref evened the player count up and we became more offensive again, great game to watch.

I think the Eastwood sending off helped us, first half charlton were a very good side, moving the ball quickly around the park.
After the sending off and the introduction of Stevens, the players upped their game the crowd got more involved, we are good at defending and don't concede many goals, charlton didn't help themselves by slowing their tempo down and trying to unpick our two banks of four, this played into our hands, yes they did have a chance or two until the ref evened the player count up and we became more offensive again, great game to watch.
The change they made at half time when they put 2 up front seemed to make them worse.Williams.Taylor and Aribo had a really good first half but second half hardly got into the game at all.

The change they made at half time when they put 2 up front seemed to make them worse.Williams.Taylor and Aribo had a really good first half but second half hardly got into the game at all.
I was really impressed with Aribo in the first half,he was making them tick. But when they brought the second striker on at half time ( did he really play for us..?!) they moved Aribo out to the wing which pretty much ended his influence. Poor management decision in hindsight

Is that not the point though?, the officials have 1 look in real time to make a split second decision. Officials make the decision (no need for that stupid var system) and everyone get's on with the game.

It kinda IS the point, you’re right.

Given only one chance and no VAR at this level should ideally encourage referees to take a deep breath, count to 10...perhaps consult their linos...and not hastily have their red cards ready on a hair-trigger.

Looking at the replay shows that Lyle Taylor had ABSOLUTELY abandoned his chase on that particular ball forward and had taken a step back towards midfield, ready for Eastwood’s punt.

Not, then, a goal-scoring chance and therefore an unnecessary and narcissistic decision.

Last edited:
Cracking game yesterday, most exciting of the season for me. Dickie and Nelson were immense, Ruffles last minute run showed that he is one of the fittest players in the division (shame he didn’t add to his late goal collection), I thought Henry had his best game in ages as well.

It’s a shame we didn’t start the season with this team as I think we would be going into the last few games looking for wins to get into the playoffs, we have turned a relegation battle last month into a good chance to come top half by the end of April, it’s a bit annoying but it really shows how important the start of the season is, we have been handicapped by not turning up until mid October.

Anybody complaining about KR's interviews needs to listen to Lee Bowyer! He'd send you to sleep it is that dull sounding.

Bowyer reckoned they could have been 5 or 6 up, I'm not sure what game he was watching!

Also, Bowyer said he was shouting for handball when the red card challenge for them happened, although he did say he didn't know if it hit the hand. Not a handball imo, to use the parlance from VAR, the arm was in a natural position by his side.

Worth watching for the Oxford goals , the Stevens double save and Ruffels’ little lollipop at the death.

think the debate on Long and Ruffels not being good enough to be first choice full backs should be over now. I was waiting to see how they would get on against an in form team and watching them yesterday convinced me they're both easily good enough and the more they play the better they're getting. as 'long' as Long can stay free from injury he's looking like a good rb

Worth watching for the Oxford goals , the Stevens double save and Ruffels’ little lollipop at the death.

His summing up at the end was fantastically one eyed. We didn't have any shots/chances in the 2nd half apparently, I must have dreamed Garbutt having a shot saved and Jerome Sinclair going through on goal.

He also overplayed their shots on goal/attacking play in the 2nd half, with the only saves of note being the double save and save from Lyle Taylor by Jack Stevens. They had a lot of ball but created very little due to an excellent defensive performance.

I agree with his summary of the 1st half mind.

Nice angle to see Nelse's and Garbutt's goals.

Eastwood - 6. Slightly harsh I guess but can only remember him making one or two saves.
Long - 7. Couple of minor mistakes but otherwise solid. Contributed a few times offensively as well.
Nelson - 10. Wow, what a performance. Put the penalty behind him, brilliant finish and defensive masterclass. Lost count of number of blocks he made.
Dickie - 8. Complete contrast to the reverse fixture, looks so composed bringing the ball out now as well.
Ruffels - 8. Can't remember him putting a foot wrong. What a run late on.
Kashi - 6. Seemed slightly off it, but still had an effective game.
Sykes - 9. Always looking to make something happen, won the corner and free kick for the goals. Had their defense worried throughout.
Brannagan - 8. My player of the season. Always looking to press and get on the ball.
Garbutt - 9. Fantastic assist, even better goal. Works so hard defensively as well.
Sinclair - 6. Frustrating. Must have been tiring playing the isolated role but should have scored at least one.

Stevens - 9. Pulled off a contender for save(s) of the season, looked commanding and confident. Looking forward to him getting more time.
Mackie - 7. Played his part to perfection, wish we could have had him 5 years younger. Special mention for his patting their captain on the a**e after nearly getting him sent off.
Hanson - 6. Can't recall him doing much, but didn't get much chance. Hope he gets some time before season end.

Robinson - 10. Obviously had an advantage knowing Charlton better than most, but we restricted them to barely any chances and he deserves all the credit. Was questioning his subs, Mackie for Kashi especially, but definitely paid off.

Ref - 7. Pen was 50:50, can see why it was given. Think Eastwood should have been sent off, unlike their man, which I think was the only big decision he got wrong. As KR said, the advantage late on prevented another red. Could have booked one of them for diving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom