Home Match Day Thread 19/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Milton Keynes Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought, we've now taken 4 points off MK this season by pressing their back line whilst they try to pass it out.

Oh, such a relief. Chants to the tune of "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep" by the inestimable Middle of the Road:

"Where's your effing drum,
Where's your effing drum"

But, as I was in the SSL, I was chanting on my own.
And you didn’t get thrown out,‘the stewards are slacking.

Just thought, we've now taken 4 points off MK this season by pressing their back line whilst they try to pass it out.
The whole 'playing out from the back' tactic is one fraught with cock-up possibilities. Especially when you are a L1 team with L1 standard players - and even more especially when you have three attackers closing you down at speed! We are guilty of doing it - as are most teams - MK have made it into an art when playing us!

And why did it take so long for Holland to realise he is dangerous running AT defences rather than playing the ball backwards as soon as he receives it?
I think it worked for him in the second half as we moved the ball quicker, he got the ball facing their goal rather than with his back to it. This allowed him to start his run and do what he’s good at. He’s not so good when collecting the ball in tight areas, I suppose a bit of a one trick pony maybe but useful if he’s given space.

The whole 'playing out from the back' tactic is one fraught with cock-up possibilities. Especially when you are a L1 team with L1 standard players - and even more especially when you have three attackers closing you down at speed! We are guilty of doing it - as are most teams - MK have made it into an art when playing us!
It's a real PL thing - drives me mad on MOTD seeing struggling teams pissing about at the back when playing Liverpool or Man City! Just get rid!! (I'm probably a dinosaur).

What a plank Scott Twine is near the end when we had a free kick of corner beat the end after we had scored, without the ref seeing Tayls threw the ball away and Rwine was in the refs face crying about it and the ref booked Tayls. Surely if he hadn’t seen it and the lino never saw anything he shouldn’t have booked Tayls?

hat a plank Scott Twine is near the end when we had a free kick of corner beat the end after we had scored, without the ref seeing Tayls threw the ball away and Rwine was in the refs face crying about it and the ref booked Tayls. Surely if he hadn’t seen it and the lino never saw anything he shouldn’t have booked Tayls?

Taylor and Cam Bran were rightly booked. How some of theirs weren't booked for kicking the ball away etc earlier however....

And why did it take so long for Holland to realise he is dangerous running AT defences rather than playing the ball backwards as soon as he receives it?
To be fair, I think it was because in the first half our defence was so deep there was no support. Once we started playing 30 yds further up the pitch the full backs were giving support on the wings so he could run at the defence who were having to worry about 5 Oxford players rather than 3, and have some passing options.

Maybe but surely the ref has to witness it

It was obvious tbh and as a Ref in the past I'd have booked him. Matty T had no problem with the booking from his reaction.

My issue is he only booked timewasting in injury time yet the Dongs player being subbed took ages to walk off even with the Ref telling him to hurry up, Twine kicking the ball away, their keeper constantly taking his time on goal kicks whilst the Ref told him to get on with it.

Certainly going to end up a case of what might have been if we hadn't bottled it.

The frustrating thing is that this team are capable of beating others, as they have shown now the pressure is off.
I tend not to react to stuff like this when possible so i'll just bite my tongue as it just beggars belief.

I find it a little odd suggesting that Brown would be more effective in his 'real position' having possibly being the best player on the pitch in a win against the team 3rd in the league.
Since he has been here, to me he seems to have played better at left back and now looks a solid player.
I agree.

I think most of my negative comments about him came from seeing him in a back three, where I thought he looked a bit dodgy, although maybe he was just lacking a bit of sharpness, and needed a few games to settle, and I probably didn’t give him a fair chance before passing judgment.

But since moving to an outright LB position, he’s looked sharper, quicker and much more influential, and based on his last few performances, I hope he’s someone the club will be looking at signing over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom