Home Match Day Thread 19/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Milton Keynes Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

I think most of my negative comments about him came from seeing him in a back three, where I thought he looked a bit dodgy, although maybe he was just lacking a bit of sharpness, and needed a few games to settle, and I probably didn’t give him a fair chance before passing judgment.

But since moving to an outright LB position, he’s looked sharper, quicker and much more influential, and based on his last few performances, I hope he’s someone the club will be looking at signing over the summer.
Hes got a bit of a clumsy look as he's big and gangly, but he's very strong and quite quick to react to things, and I think he's decent enough on the ball. He's a defender, not a fast attacker.

I was not able to attend last night (wedding anniversary) so maybe not in an ideal position to comment. Something that crossed my mind was that last season I watched the home match v MKD on iplayer and the radox commentary mocked the playing out from back by MKD, leaving them exposed by our closing down, They learnt from this.

A season later they appear to have turned this around and become one of the stronger teams in the division. Maybe it went wrong once last night in the 86th minute. My point is that it is possible to try to play out from the back and still be an effective unit. Can we learn the same lesson?

I was not able to attend last night (wedding anniversary) so maybe not in an ideal position to comment. Something that crossed my mind was that last season I watched the home match v MKD on iplayer and the radox commentary mocked the playing out from back by MKD, leaving them exposed by our closing down, They learnt from this.

A season later they appear to have turned this around and become one of the stronger teams in the division. Maybe it went wrong once last night in the 86th minute. My point is that it is possible to try to play out from the back and still be an effective unit. Can we learn the same lesson?

Maybe wrong here but didn't they do the exact same thing at theirs earlier this season?

I don't think their improvement is a direct result of playing the ball out from the back less.

The other bonus of the winner was it shut that drummer up. The Dons fans made decent noise, just the bloody drum was so loud it drowned a good chunk of it out. They still put the Sunderland away support to shame as the MK supporters were far noisier.

I thought they were good last night, made some decent noise. I didn’t really mind the drum too, if I’m honest.

I’d fine players who stop and pass it backwards when there’s a break on. I know it’s a lack of confidence but Whyte can breeze last defenders if he wants to.

I’d fine players who stop and pass it backwards when there’s a break on. I know it’s a lack of confidence but Whyte can breeze last defenders if he wants to.
Last nights Ref to the Finance Office please

• React
Reactions: MJB
It was obvious tbh and as a Ref in the past I'd have booked him. Matty T had no problem with the booking from his reaction.

My issue is he only booked timewasting in injury time yet the Dongs player being subbed took ages to walk off even with the Ref telling him to hurry up, Twine kicking the ball away, their keeper constantly taking his time on goal kicks whilst the Ref told him to get on with it.

There were 3/4 Oxford players in the corner……what’s wrong with a “ I’m Spartacus “ being spirited by the Oxford players 😉

And I still rate him over Jordan Thorniley[emoji6]

Give Brown game time and a settled defence, coupled with our coaching, and we have got a very good solution to the left back issue (and a long throw for good measure). I think we need to sign him if Cardiff are prepared to let him go in the Summer. As he's already 24 do Cardiff see him as a realistic prospect for them going forward?
Brown is out of contract in the summer.

just because he is in space doesn't mean there is a pass to him that is on. Sykes is very good at the moment at waving his arms around and berating others.
We'll never know, will we 🤔

I agree.

I think most of my negative comments about him came from seeing him in a back three, where I thought he looked a bit dodgy, although maybe he was just lacking a bit of sharpness, and needed a few games to settle, and I probably didn’t give him a fair chance before passing judgment.

But since moving to an outright LB position, he’s looked sharper, quicker and much more influential, and based on his last few performances, I hope he’s someone the club will be looking at signing over the summer.

The problem with being in a championship sqaud and not playing regularly, just leaves you training and maybe the occasional few minutes here and there.
Others thinking of moving on, should bare this in mind.
Ciaron Brown just needed competitive games and a bit of confidence to get up and running.
Came back from international duty with a impressive game against Hungary at left centre half.

Edit
Liked the way he communicated to Elliott Moore and Luke McNally in the highlights clip

The problem with being in a championship sqaud and not playing regularly, just leaves you training and maybe the occasional few minutes here and there.
Others thinking of moving on, should bare this in mind.
Ciaron Brown just needed competitive games and a bit of confidence to get up and running.
Came back from international duty with a impressive game against Hungary at left centre half.

Edit
Liked the way he communicated to Elliott Moore and Luke McNally in the highlights clip

Yep, just look at what moving to a championship club has done to Ruffels this season.

I would be sticking a contract in front of both Brown and Bodin right now.

To be fair, I think it was because in the first half our defence was so deep there was no support. Once we started playing 30 yds further up the pitch the full backs were giving support on the wings so he could run at the defence who were having to worry about 5 Oxford players rather than 3, and have some passing options.

Agree with this completely. The tactical switch that completely changed the game was pushing both fullbacks further up the pitch. Simple but made the world of difference.

The MK Dons front three were all good players, but they like to play narrow and rely on their wingbacks for width.
Early doors we just let them come at us, and they dominated the game.
Once we really pushed Brown & Long up on top of those wingbacks (started about 5-10 minutes before halftime) then it forced them to hold - after which they looked much less dangerous - and gave Holland & Whyte (and then Bodin) the support and possession to get into some meaningful attacking positions.

What surprised me a little was how little MK threatened, with all of the possession and good football that they played. And based on the much criticised oufc defence.
A couple of long shots easily saved by Stevens and the one good chance that Brown saved on the line.
The defence was deeper and although we kept giving the ball away cheaply, overall we defended pretty well.

MK may have dominated the first half but they didn’t really open us up did they, even though we played rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom