Home Match Build Up 19/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some interesting stats I saw on Twitter earlier.

If you look at League One, we are second in expected points per game. Not including penalties, we have the second-highest xG per game and the fourth-lowest xG against per game in the league. By every statistical metric, we're basically in the top four or five performers in the league. We're consistently creating more and better chances than our opponents.

However, in terms of the actual goals scored and conceded, we are twelfth and eighth, respectively. That's a massive drop-off.

xG is obviously not a perfect metric. It doesn't tell the full story. But here, it reflects what I think we're all seeing: that, basically, we're creating loads of chances that we're missing, and our opponents aren't creating very many but are scoring them. It's frustrating, but it shows, to me, that we're doing everything right (up until the finish, that is). Over the course of a season, statistical anomalies like these tend to even themselves out. We're not going to keep missing hatfuls of chances, and opponents aren't going to keep scoring every half chance they get. It's pretty encouraging imo - second in xP is impressive. We're a very good side, we just need to keep the faith in what we're doing (and start bloody putting away our chances).
Cue 13-0 win tomorrow.

xG is obviously not a perfect metric. It doesn't tell the full story. But here, it reflects what I think we're all seeing: that, basically, we're creating loads of chances that we're missing, and our opponents aren't creating very many but are scoring them. It's frustrating, but it shows, to me, that we're doing everything right (up until the finish, that is). Over the course of a season, statistical anomalies like these tend to even themselves out. We're not going to keep missing hatfuls of chances, and opponents aren't going to keep scoring every half chance they get. It's pretty encouraging imo - second in xP is impressive. We're a very good side, we just need to keep the faith in what we're doing (and start bloody putting away our chances).

Due to give someone another bloody good hiding.

Lets hope it’s tomorrow.

🀞

Should be a good game shouldn’t be any hangovers from Saturdays game 4-0 Taylor brace Henry and Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom